Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Young and Dumb
CREATED: 08/08/10 by gottasweep REPLIES: 11
gottasweep's ravatar gottasweep    JOINED: 8/8/10    POSTS: 8
Young and Dumb
POSTED: 8/08/10 2:39 PM

I'm taking a year off before college to work at the Smithsonian but also so build my fitness.

I have a fairly decent swimming background (8 years of slogging it out at the big meets around dc).

Currently, rowing is my thing. But I'm not a fan of sculling and I'm looking to do something a little bit different in my year off. I'll need to be a lightweight rower in college and the name of the game in lw crew is fitness so triathlons seem perfect.

Running is definitely my weak spot. So any advice, help, abuse that anyone wishes to direct my way, have at it.

I live in NW DC (in the Palisades right off MacArthur blvd). I have a decent tri bike that I picked up for a song and want to jump right in!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1653
RE: Young and Dumb
POSTED: 8/08/10 3:16 PM

There are regular morning group rides on Sat (very fast) and Sun (quite fast) up through MacArthur. There are Wednesday eve group track workouts at Wilson high school in the District. There are regular Mon and Wed eve group swims at Catholic U. And many more....

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 8/09/10 7:35 AM

Welcome to the club. I rowed in college as well and while we didn't have a lightweight team, I was more or less a lightweight. Triathlon is a great fit for most rowers, many of the guys (other lightweights) have turned to triathlon and done very well for themselves. If you are looking to gain speed in running check out some of the track workouts in the area. The one Ed mentioned on Wednesday night has a good turnout.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 8/09/10 8:55 AM

If you are looking for races at the end of the season, most of the big races are sold out. I'd recommend you go to Setup Events - VA on the web. They have great, smaller sized local races that should have some slots still open if you want to jump right into a sprint race.

POSTED: 8/09/10 9:09 AM

Well since I'm not really going to have a team to race on in the spring (rowing wise), I was thinking about trying to find races then. Does that work?

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
POSTED: 8/09/10 9:25 AM

Triathlon season in the area doesn't start up until late April/early May. Rumpass in the Bumpass, Kinetic, and Columbia are some of the earliest races in the area. So if that's when you're looking to race, then that will work for you.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 8/09/10 10:01 AM

There are some good duathlons early in the season however, and if you are looking to increase your fitness it might be a good challenge as this will leave out what seems to be your strongest event (swimming) while still giving you race experience.

Also, have to second (or third) the recommendation to check out the Wednesday afternoon track workouts at wilson high. If you wanna build speed, this is the best way to do it.

POSTED: 8/09/10 10:16 AM

I live pretty much right next to Wilson, so that seems do-able.

What kind of workouts do you do?

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 8/09/10 10:32 AM

send me an email and i'll forward you the announcement for this week and next, from which you can sign up for the yahoo group.

matthew dot longley at gmail dot com.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 8/09/10 1:03 PM

I believe Myrtle Beach tri still has spots..you could do the sprint just starting out. we will have a massive contingent of DC Tri people there. Just make sure if you decide to take the plunge that you sign up as a DC Tri Club member so we can get points :) http://ultramaxtri.com/races/mbt/index.php

On a side note, watch out at those track workouts-- the girl who leads it is really mean. But I'm sure that Matt will welcome you really nicely, if you can keep up with him (good luck). Oh, and the other 20-30 people who go are pretty nice too.

POSTED: 8/09/10 1:07 PM

Oh god. Mean track coach? God help me.

Though, quite frankly, I'll do anything to get away from an erg at this point.

POSTED: 8/09/10 1:08 PM

Er.. realized that sounded like sarcasm. It wasn't.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria