mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
Article on CrossFit Craze
POSTED: 1/04/11 7:23 PM

Seems like everybody is doing it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203513204576048090528437846.html

stivnik's ravatar stivnik    JOINED: 1/11/10    POSTS: 43
RE: Article on CrossFit Craze
POSTED: 1/05/11 4:51 PM

Wow. $375/mo. for boot camp and gym privileges. And that's before the $5 Peasant Man registration.

BTW, nice work on the DC Tri article in TL.

lizwest    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 1/06/11 7:57 AM

CrossFit is really expensive, but it works. Prices are different at all the clubs, and it really has brought much move value to my workouts than a typical gym membership. I would recommend trying it for anyone interested!

jonwolfsthal's ravatar jonwolfsthal    JOINED: 3/22/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 2/17/11 2:26 PM

on the other hand, you can do crossfit for free. they post the workouts daily on their site, they have a link to scale the workout to your level of intensity, and most of the equipment is standard to any gym or can be substituted.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 2/17/11 9:04 PM

Holy crap, a Jon Wolfsthal posting! Gone are the days when we got 8-10 of those an hour. ;-) J/k big Jon, great to have you back!

Sorry for the hijack, now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

-Jason

POSTED: 2/18/11 12:18 PM

and you wonder why I stopped posting. You never appreciated me!! ;)

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 2/18/11 9:07 PM

Yes you can do crossfit for free, but you will not get the true effect of doing it at a box. With a coach making sure you are lifting correctly and your fellow CFers cheering you on, makes it soooooo intense. Crossfit is more than a GYM(dare I call it that) or club(even worse than the first thing I called it), they are family. You don't show up to a Gold's, Bally's or something like that, and when you do, they didn't even notice you were gone. Swipe your card, give you a smile, and goto the next person. You don't show up to the box for a week or 2, and people start asking where is so and so, and eventually you get a call from one of your buddies. And when you do return.... they will let you know they noticed and glad you are back. At Crossfit we don't care if you are lifting heavy, or the fastest. We just want to see you put out your best, and when your finished, if you are totally smoked and sitting in a pile of sweat...... you get nothing but praise, high fives and fist pounds. I say go out and try it, almost all Boxes have a free week. I guarantee you will get hooked by the intensity, camaraderie, and fun.
If you are in the NOVA region, come on down to the Box I workout at, Crossfit Sweat Springfield.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 2/18/11 10:19 PM

It's not Something for Everyone, but as big M and Liz indicated, it's Everything for Some, and very cool. Similar to Mark's invite, come to Potomac Crossfit in Clarendon if you want to check out one of the best Boxes in the nation. Free class Saturdays at noon.

POSTED: 2/19/11 6:32 PM

thanks for the encouragement. I have been watching a LOT of video, so feel ok starting off by myself and yes, I will get more out of it through the group but I don't have the time or schedule to do that, so better to do it on my own than not at all.

That being said, I will try to check out one of the free sessions sometime and thanks.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 2/20/11 12:59 PM

Glad to hear you're trying it Jon. Our coaches have started posting some WOD demos here to help their athletes.
http://vimeo.com/user582293/videos
Gyms usually have a free class and a foundations course (ours is mandatory before training) to teach the movements properly. May be worth it even if you end up going on your own.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria