Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Vegan triathletes?
CREATED: 05/18/09 by emle REPLIES: 6
emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
Vegan triathletes?
POSTED: 5/18/09 10:43 AM

Just trying to see if anyone in the club is vegan. I had been veggie for about 8 years but I went vegan for Lent just to try it out and haven't gone back to eating food with eggs/dairy products in them since.

I'm really interesting in finding out what nutrition you use for tris as well as recovery drinks and protein powders. I'm not thrilled with the vanilla rice protein powder I'm using or the chocolate hemp protein as the former isn't very appealing in smell/taste and the latter is like sand. I do use chocolate soy milk for recovery drink sometimes but I'm just looking for some other suggestions.
Feel free to post here or email me off line: eajacobs15 at yahoo dot com

thanks
Em

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Vegan triathletes?
POSTED: 5/18/09 11:42 AM

Em -

Tremendous! Go to PCRM.ORG for some great menu items, etc. PCRM also has a contributing author/athlete named Brendan Brazier, pro Trier, who has a book out which is featrued on the website. I am a vegetarian, but try to limit dairy as it does not agree with my metabolism, rarely eat eggs, milk never, only down fall being cheese and an occasional ice cream.

I use the Honey Stinger gu packs - almost all honey - I think - pretty sure they are vegan.

Email me at clarebearcolburn@yahoo.com and I can give you some more info.

I am doing Olympic distance tris, but hope to do Providence 70.3 next year. As I get more into distance, I'll have to think more seriously on the nutrition front. Just takes more organizational skills and practice (kind of like my pitiful transition times).

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 5/18/09 12:35 PM

I'm not vegan--but I'm pretty sure real honey isn't considered vegan.

As for foods to help, beans + rice is complete protein and good source of carbs. And extremely satisfying.

-JK

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 5/18/09 3:23 PM

Thanks for the website suggestion. I checked it out and it has great info as well as a breakfast burrito recipe I hope to try.
Beans and rice are great but I'm well past that stage in being veggie. I still do that but do a lot more w/ tofu and temphe. The problem I'm having is recovery drinks and protein. Before I gave up milk I would have some protein powder ready in a bottle and fill it with water and shake it up post-workout. Now I haven't been able to find anything to replace what i used to drink that doesn't taste like drinking chocolate sand.

JK is right that honey isn't considered vegan since it does come from an animal. I consider myself a lax vegan so if I have something that has some honey in it I'm not going to freak out. I have tried the Honey Stinger gu packs awhile ago and didn't really care for them.
Thanks for the replies and emails
Em

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 5/18/09 11:30 PM

Em,
Sorry, the last post is a little unclear in what I meant...and maybe I'm misunderstanding you a bit too, so my apologies.

You seem to be stuck on "needing" a recovery drink. Why? Is it a desired convenience, or do you think that it (the protein shake) is an essential part of the post-workout recovery? If nothing liquid works for you, maybe just go with solid food. It will work well (or even better) compared with the liquid "sand," and most nutritionists I suspect would suggest solid food over the liquid concoction anyway.

-JK

charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
POSTED: 5/19/09 2:45 AM

There is some information here, but mostly inspiration:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Nick_Sterghos_-_vegetarian_champ_780.html

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 5/19/09 7:54 AM

Most of Clif's products are vegan (a very few will have dairy in them, but most are completely vegan). I was vegan for 7 years, including my first 4 doing tris, and I can't eat dairy, so I still keep an eye out for vegan products.

Finding a completely vegan protein powder that also tasted good was a royal pain in the ass. I finally compromised with Spirutein (regular or sport), which contains bee pollen so is not vegan, but was close enough for my needs, and also tasted good. Whole Foods has a good variety of protein powders if you want to experiment; some of them might be made better on your own by the addition of more ingredients.

Brendan Brazier's book isn't bad, and he does include a recipe for making a smoothie, but he's also trying to sell his own nutrition product(s), so take it with a grain of salt.

Hope that helps.

Will

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria