Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike GPS Recommendations?
CREATED: 05/26/14 by bronxking REPLIES: 5
bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 150
Bike GPS Recommendations?
POSTED: 5/26/14 10:08 PM

I've gotten way off course like 100% of the time I go on a new course using paper cue sheets. I'm in the market for a bike GPS. Any recommendations for something basic that'll allow me to upload the cue sheets from ridewithgps or strava and then alert me when my next turn is? Thanks.

TDPrange's ravatar TDPrange    JOINED: 1/14/13    POSTS: 73
RE: Bike GPS Recommendations?
POSTED: 5/27/14 8:45 AM

Well in the Garmin universe you got a couple of options. If you want navigation with a map like what you might get in a car you pretty much need to go with their 800/810 or crazy expensive 1000. They also have a thing called the Navigator or something like that and is designed more for folks doing bike touring. DCRainmaker has a review on in but if you are looking for a bike computer to be useful for racing and the like I think you might find the features a little lacking.

The Garmin 500/510 computers have navigation... sort of. They will track from waypoint to waypoint but will not give you a map. So it may indicate a turn is coming up but doesn't know a road or anything else is at that turn point. It might make it of limited use if you get off course.

The cheapest option is probably buying a bike mount for your cell phone but a lot of people get kinda concerned about having that all important device exposed out on their handle bars. That and constant use of the GPS antenna on a cell phone tends to burn down the battery pretty quickly and might not last on a longer ride.

Trent

bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 150
POSTED: 5/27/14 5:22 PM

Thanks Trent. That's really helpful. I was going to get the Garmin 510, but yea, I need a full map so the 800 would make more sense, but still expensive. Is there a cell phone app that would follow waypoints like the dedicated bike GPS? I might just use that and then buy a battery powerpack to keep the phone charged on long rides.

TDPrange's ravatar TDPrange    JOINED: 1/14/13    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 5/27/14 6:20 PM

Of the bike apps out there the one I have the most experience with is MapMyRide. You can build routes on the computer and load them to your mobile device when you go for a ride. There may be other good ones out there.

Trent

JL71    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 5/27/14 6:40 PM

Remember, you can't use the phone based GPS in competition.

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 205
POSTED: 5/28/14 4:14 PM

I have a gently used Edge 810 that I am willing to sell. Checking eBay's completed listing puts the market value in the low to mid $300's, so I'd sell for $280 to fellow DCTri, with pickup near L'Enfant Plaza during business hours. If interested, send me a PM.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria