trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
Study: Triathlons can pose deadly heart risks
POSTED: 3/29/09 9:10 PM

Well love to hear opinions on this one.

http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/med_triathlon_heart_risks.html

charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
RE: Study: Triathlons can pose deadly heart risks
POSTED: 3/29/09 9:50 PM

for what its worth - if it is my time to go, i think doing it in a race is a great way to go out

tozamile's ravatar tozamile    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 3/30/09 9:04 AM

Some other interesting statistics from http://riskometer.org/pages/riskringsExposures.html

Odds of dying from obesity- 1 in 2,681
Obesity due to dietary practices- 1 in 3,570
Obesity due to sedentary lifestyle- 1 in 10,767

I'd like to see this doctor do a study on how many people avoided becoming one of the 2,681 by participating in triathlons.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 3/30/09 10:03 AM

Hmmm ... The author says 15 out of 1 million is not inconsequential. That's 0.0015%. I believed that if this was a laboratory experiment we would call it background noise :). In the real world, 16 out of 1 million people have heart attacks immediately after drinking a glass of water.

The report also compares marathoners to ALL triathletes. Here is an idea, compare all runners of all distances to all triathletes of all distances. Would the results be inconsequential ? Here is another idea, report how many triathletes die in the swim portion versus how many runners die within the first 30 minutes of excercise. Two years ago there was a veteran marathoner at the MCM who had a heart attack within the first mile of the race.

Of the 6 autopsies done, 2 who died had normal looking heart while 4 had heart problems. Come on! ... more people are killed each year by a runaway Mr. Potato head. You get a Phd for this kind of stuff ?

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 3/30/09 3:19 PM

THere is an increased risk of heart attack that is related specifically to swimming in the triathlon.
I had found the article after that guy died during the swim at NJ State last year.
I want to say that it has to do with a sort of hiccup in the QRS that makes it more likely you'll have a heart attack, and the anxiety/ adrenaline/ spazz attack that comes with it being the first leg of the race and people having fear of open water swimming increases that risk.

If I can find it again, I'll post it.

Practice, and get a physical.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria