Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Flip Turns Debate
CREATED: 03/12/10 by ncrcoach REPLIES: 18
ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
Flip Turns Debate
POSTED: 3/12/10 9:59 PM

A while back there was a discussion on the 25-50m Wilson pool debate about flip turns. This came to my mind the other night at our CUA masters swim group. I was in my lane and usually see the person in the lane next to me. We were both going at the same speed, but then after I did a flip turn I noticed that the person next to me didn't do a flip turn. I also noticed that this person lost a lot of momentum during their workout as I continued with flow my laps.

Okay, I am not diminishing anyone who doesn't do flip turns. I don't want to discourage anyone from participating in our sport. Although, I do highly recommend that one learns how to do a flip turn and practice it on a regular basis.

Two things that are important with doing a flip turn: 1) it continues the flow of the workout and aids in streamlining off the wall. 2) it aids in one learning how to breath properly as they do a flip turn.....Hint: exhale through the mouth.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
RE: Flip Turns Debate
POSTED: 3/12/10 10:53 PM

I purposely avoid flip turns and barely push off. It makes a 25 yard pool a little longer, and I'm not racing anyone.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 3/13/10 7:48 AM

Hugh,

I agree with that. I realized how I was able to keep my rhythm a lot easier with flip turns. Turned my long 2500-3000 continuous lap sessions from always trying to find my rhythm, to just flowing through the workout. After practicing it for 5-10 min one day, I got it down packed. So it’s not something that you will have to take forever to learn. I started off slow in the beginning, but now I can rock it while doing sprints. Try it and see… some people like it and others don’t. You won’t know until you try.

POSTED: 3/13/10 10:52 AM

Mark, it's even better when you are using hand paddles and push down forcefully as you start your turn. This really helps flip the legs over in a quick, forceful manner.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/13/10 12:09 PM

LOL the old flip turn debate.

always in good fun.

i disagree with you both and agree with you both in part.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 3/13/10 4:31 PM

I have been wanting to improve my flip turns as I learned but am TERRIBLE at them, but I find often that I can't practice them when I am at the pool and sharing the lane with a bunch of other people because when I have tried to do that I have almost swum into oncoming traffic a few times. So for me, I'm stuck having to avoid them and continue not to get better. Maybe others face the same problem? Or maybe its just me...

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 3/13/10 8:47 PM

If you don't do flip turns, you are spending more time on the wall. If you spend more time on the wall, you aren't getting as a good of a workout as you could.

It's like running in the city and having to stop every block at the crosswalk. Or riding and constantly slowing to take corners.

If you swim regularly, you should learn flip turns. You can get a better workout in less time.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 3/14/10 7:59 PM

Sorry Hugh-- I just didn't want to beat you too badly....

If I start doing flip turns, you're done.

POSTED: 3/14/10 9:40 PM

Travis, I am game. Bring it on!

Seriously, maybe this ego-tistical, swim-mainiac of a PE teacher/swim coach needs to set some time aside to teach others how to do a flip turn. Actually, I am game for that. I truly take great pride in teaching new skills to people, especially if they reward me with a HH drink. I will always be available to teach a proper flip turn. GAME ON!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1267
POSTED: 3/14/10 9:52 PM

For some of us success is defined as getting from one end of the pool to the other without drinking enough chlorine so as to never reproduce again ... why test the will of the gods by flipping over with the wall right there for the grabbing :)

The last time that I tried a flip turn I believed that I ended up in another lane. It was an awkward situation to say the least. Perhaps if I go to the CU workout with all of the other club members that there will be more support for people of my predicament.

Tuan

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 130
POSTED: 3/14/10 10:21 PM

Ha, I think I wound up in another lane too! Tuan, maybe we should swim together and just trade lanes every 25?

Hugh, I'm definitely in for some flip turn instruction if you're up for it. Maybe we can have a short lesson followed by green St Paddy's beers on Wed if you're around? (and congrats on the marathon!)
Trisha

neisha101's ravatar neisha101    JOINED: 1/7/10    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 3/15/10 10:56 AM

Flip Turns sound great, but I'll focus on learning to swim for now lol

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 3/15/10 1:19 PM

"All hail the power of the flip turn. Embrace it. Do not fear it." Even Vietnamese royalty can master the flip turn with help from the divine.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 3/15/10 5:01 PM

You all inspired me to try flip turns today. That and the fact that I amazingly actually finished my swim workout in less than an hour. After 10 minutes of practice I can hit the wall with my feet, stay in my lane, and come to the surface without ingesting a quart of water through my nose. However, I'm not sure that what I can do actually qualifies as a flip turn at this point. I might have to show up at one of the CUA swims just to have Hugh show me how to do them correctly.

POSTED: 3/15/10 5:45 PM

You're very welcome to come to CUA and I can help sometime. I prefer to breath out of my mouth and exhale when I do my flipturn. For me, breathing through my nose results in water getting up my nose. There are also some videos on YouTube demonstrating proper flip turns.

POSTED: 3/15/10 5:45 PM

You're very welcome to come to CUA and I can help sometime. I prefer to breath out of my mouth and exhale when I do my flipturn. For me, breathing through my nose results in water getting up my nose. There are also some videos on YouTube demonstrating proper flip turns.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 3/15/10 11:29 PM

I watched some of the videos a year ago when I looked into flip turns briefly. Then I forgot about the issue and ignored it for the rest of the year. After reading this thread, I decided to try it again tonight. Though I didn't do a real flip turn, I found that I could do the flipping part, and without getting too much water up my nose. That's a big improvement over my brief experiments from a year ago. It only took a few minutes.

I found that it really helps to be swimming faster. When I tried the turns last year, I was swimming too slowly. That's probably why I got so much water up my nose last year. I'll have to spend a few minutes at the end of some swim workouts and continue to work at this. For the first time, it seems like it's something I can actually do. I couldn't say that last year.

POSTED: 3/15/10 11:47 PM

Okay, I've gotten some requests for teaching proper flip turns. So, this Wednesday, the 17th (yes, St. Paddy's Day), I will take time out from swimming and help with learning flip turns. This will be at our regular Catholic U. swims. I'll probably swim a little than we can get together and work on our turns. -Hugh

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 3/16/10 9:12 AM

If I done at the doctors early enough, I might just make it on Wednesday. Although, in keeping with my usual visits to Catholic, I will expect the flip turn lesson to be followed by a lecture on Aquinas's proofs for the existence of God.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria