DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Anyone doing Gunston OWS this Saturday?
CREATED: 07/07/09 by idar REPLIES: 13
idar's ravatar idar    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
Anyone doing Gunston OWS this Saturday?
POSTED: 7/07/09 9:52 AM

starting a new thread for this...

Any NTPers or others up for the Gunston OWS this Saturday @ 7:30? I am interested and curious if anyone wants to combine it with a bike afterwards.

Cloudyindc    JOINED: 6/12/09    POSTS: 15
RE: Anyone doing Gunston OWS this Saturday?
POSTED: 7/07/09 11:06 AM

I will be going this Saturday to Gunston, but will not be able to do a ride later.

If anyone needs a ride I have room. I will be leaving from Col Heights (NW).

claudia

diankell's ravatar diankell    JOINED: 6/16/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 7/08/09 11:20 PM

I don't think I can bike afterwards either but I had a question about the water. I had signed up for the OWS at Gunston, but got a bit freaked out this morning when I heard a story on NPR about a man who got a nasy bacerial infection on his leg from swimming in the Severn River earlier this year. Is the water quality at Gunston good? I haven't swum there before.

mcbkrun's ravatar mcbkrun    JOINED: 6/17/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 7/09/09 2:38 AM

Water quality was fine three or four weeks ago when i did the last OWS. I thought it was a nice training experience. I might do it again this weekend but it's a game time decision right now. If I do, I'll be willing to go for a ride later on.

Miguel

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 7/09/09 6:27 AM

I'll be there on Saturday. I think there are 2 sessions - am planning to go to the later one since I don't get off work until 8am. Hoping to bike afterwards as well.

The water looked pretty nice 2 wknds ago. Bacterial infections should not be a problem from the water unless you already have an open wound & the infection is most likely from your own skin!

Mimi :)

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 7/09/09 9:38 AM

I am planning to go to the 7:30 OWS & would like to ride after. You can e-mail me CarrieACampbell@Gmail.com

Carrie

gingerkr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 7/09/09 4:27 PM

Is this an actual clinic at Gunston? I hadn't heard about it. I might be up for the swim/bike, though.

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 7/09/09 5:32 PM

Anyone know if there are any differences in the swim conditions at SandyPoint & Gunston? Need to decide b/t the two

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 7/09/09 6:42 PM

Hey there,

I've done both the Sandy Point and Gunston...Sandy Point is the Chesapeake Bay, and from what I was told, the water at Gunston is part of the Potomac River.

I found them both very good...a little bit of an under current at Gunston that had one woman a little sea sick. I was there in March, so it was pretty chilly...I don't know the water temp these days. You could actually touch the bottom the whole way...about 500 meters around buoys...the tide was out, so it was only about 4 feet deep.

Sandy Point was also equally good...either would be excellent practice.

I've been grappling which one to go to, but think I'll head to Gunston since it's closer.

I'm bringing my bike as well, and would also be up for a ride.

Paula

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 7/09/09 10:27 PM

There is an optional clinic. Details here: http://www.usopenwater.org/component/jcalpro/view/33/1

I have ridden parts of Mason Neck State Park before. It is a nice ride.

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 7/10/09 7:05 AM

Hi Paula, thanks for the info, it'll help with making a decision. Aimee

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 7/10/09 9:46 AM

I'll be going from Capitol Hill.

Cloudyindc    JOINED: 6/12/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 7/10/09 11:11 AM

I'll be going and can offer a ride if anyone needs one or wants to carpool. I can't stay for a bike ride but can do a 30-45 run.

claudia

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/10/09 6:45 PM

Paula,

You doing the 7:30am swim. That is the one I am doing, then an easy ride, cause I need to be home by noon.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria