DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Heart Rate Monitor recommendation
CREATED: 05/18/09 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 4
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
Heart Rate Monitor recommendation
POSTED: 5/18/09 5:56 PM

Hi

I went swimming with my cheapo Polar HR monitor on Saturday and it's no longer h20proof. So, I'm looking for a new one.

It must be able to work near utility lines, as my old HR monitor had a problem with that. Preferably h20proof, not gigantic, easy to program (5 zones; timer; intervals), compatible w/ a MAC.

Any recommendations for a new HR monitor? Is the Garmin really worth it? What about Suunto?

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
RE: Heart Rate Monitor recommendation
POSTED: 5/18/09 8:21 PM

Lisa,

The new garmin is NOT worth it - I got it this year and it's huge & the touch bezel doesn't always work when you want it to and is not supposed to go underwater.

I had a timex ironman watch w/HRM which was my favorite - after 3 years the band broke and I got the garmin but I wish I had just gotten a new timex.

Good luck!

Mimi :)

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/19/09 7:04 AM

Lisa,

Thanks to Will giving me the 411. Go check out Garmin's newest creation. It is a water proof version of their GPS watch with a HRM. It's a bit expensive, but it is the new latest and greatest. I am not sure how big it is though. I would look at it, but I never want to know how fast I am running, I go by perceived exhuastion. Which on Sunday was peaking out on those hills.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 219
POSTED: 5/19/09 5:26 PM

If you are just looking for a HR monitor / watch without GPS, I'm selling a Suunto T3 (brand new in the box). Manual says it is waterproof to 30m / 100ft (watch) and 20m / 66ft (HR monitor). Fairly certain it has all the other features you're looking for. Haven't set a price yet- no idea what it is worth. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get back to you on it.

I would advise against Garmin for Mac compatibility. I have a Forerunner 305 and, not only does their software not function the same for a Mac as it does for a PC, but their Mac support sucks!

Also bad timing for Garmin... they are moving away from their training software and migrating all data & devices to an online service called Garmin Connect (previously MotionBased). It will be great once they're done with it but right now it's a mess!!!

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 6/24/09 2:43 PM

Also looking for a new HRM - Lisa, did you find something that you're particularly happy/unhappy with? I have most of the same wants - Mac compatible, waterproof, not huge and clunky.

Anyone else have something they love?
Thanks very much!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria