Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

We really should do a TTT
CREATED: 07/07/09 by vatriathlete REPLIES: 33
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
We really should do a TTT
POSTED: 7/07/09 12:33 PM

when you watch today's tour coverage of the team time trial you will agree.

We really should put on at hains point a TTT within the club. its really fun and would make everyone that participates a better cyclist.

sorta like in the spring when the TT and duathlons practice ones were held, we should have a TTT one in hains point.

Watch the tour coverage tonight and see if you agree.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: We really should do a TTT
POSTED: 7/07/09 1:04 PM

We do. Every Tue/Thurs morning...Patrick is our Cancellara.

POSTED: 7/07/09 1:14 PM

i'm not counting a tues/thurs morning hammer session as its too early to get out of bed.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 7/07/09 1:34 PM

A TTT with a bunch of triathletes Justin? Are you trying to get yourself killed?

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:05 PM

I'll bring the gauze and iodine!

POSTED: 7/07/09 2:34 PM

no i think you should do it too chad, you would find it fun.

the tour coverage should be good tonight, one entire team misses a turn.

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:44 PM

I am with Andy and Chad here. Those dudes in the tour are the best bike handlers in the world and look how many problems they have. Riding paceline in aero with a bunch of us triathletes is just asking for trouble.

POSTED: 7/07/09 2:50 PM

yeah, but that is why you would annouce it afew weeks early, and then practice.

who would think it, triathletes actually having to practice with each other to get better bike handling skills, which would actually help them individually later in races.

better bike handling skills would be a good thing for triathletes to have. you normally don't get that by riding alone all the time.

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:57 PM

I think there are probably more reasonable and safer ways to practice bike handling skills than a TTT format. Plus the last time I checked drafting is frowned upon by the USAT. We never race like that.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:57 PM

I mean all I am trying to say is someone could scratch a skewer and then sue...

Eric's ravatar Eric    JOINED: 8/18/04    POSTS: 275
POSTED: 7/07/09 3:26 PM

It's just like T/Th mornings - but Andy already said that. I think this morning we ended up with 5 riders on the last loop... all you need to get an official time. Who's bringing the team car so we can get live splits?

POSTED: 7/07/09 3:31 PM

i mean all i'm trying to say is to try something a bit different than your standard "triathlon specific" workouts and develop skills in a different setting.

no we do not have to have a full on 9 man TTT team, it can be done with less as in a 4 or 5 person TTT with the time off of the 3rd person or such.

yes drafting is illegal in non itu races, but then again things like holding a straight line, smooth pedaling, adjusting speed without using the brakes and planing ahead ahead of time your speed and steering than when you need to, holding a consistent speed, metering out your effort over a set distance, etc are all things that are improved drastically by riding in pacelines/groups in close quarters than if you just do them alone.

afterall have you watched triathletes, even good ones in a race? practically none of them even the "elites" can hold a straight line.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/07/09 3:54 PM

A couple of years ago my New Mexico club entered two teams in the Rio Grande TTT and had a geat time. We practiced the rotation a couple of times during the two weeks prior, and even though we were all triathletes, we survived without losing any skin or body parts. It was an interesting day, especially once we lost all the riders we were allowed and tried to keep the remaining group together while still pushing the pace. The Church Creek TT series has a TTT option.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/08/09 7:45 AM

My 2 cents: It's a great idea, but do we have enough people with the caliber to stay wheel to wheel in Aerobars. I have done a couple of 2-3 man TTs, back when I was actually in good shape. I love them, and they are a lot of fun, but we don't want to risk people getting hurt, because of the lack of experience. I watched 3 of my friends jump right in for a 2 man TT and they loss their whole season, due to the crash they had. Experience and trust in the cyclist you are riding with is a big factor. To just throw a because we are friends team of 2-3-4 people together in Aero bars. I think I will be more than happy to sit back and volunteer, cause I don't know enough of the riders to well, and they don't know me, and that is VERY important. Doesn't mean we can't practice at low speeds and learn each others styles.

POSTED: 7/08/09 8:22 AM

ok my take on this from all the posts after my initial post is this.

1. Scrap the idea!! NOBODY at all is confident that ANY triathlete can hold a straight line much less ride in a group at all.
2. I will admit I made a mistake by suggesting this idea, BAD MOVE on my part. We should ONLY do the "standard" workouts" that most triathletes are used to. Anything that involves workouts outside of this idea should not be done. Period.

No sarcasm is intended in this post at all, I am being 100% serious here.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 7/08/09 8:25 AM

Justin ... so what you are saying is that you are a troll ? :)

POSTED: 7/08/09 8:39 AM

lol.

very funny.

reread all the posts, basically nobody wants to do this idea at all, everyone is afraid of risk of injury.

Its not a "standard triathlon workout" so its not something people want to do.

My mistake for suggesting something that might be a bit different but fun. I'm just admitting that i was wrong to bring up this idea. I think other people should know not to do so in the future.

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/08/09 8:49 AM

Has anyone here done a F1 style race? That is multiple laps of the swim, bike, run, with TT/triathlon bikes and draft legal. From my experience, pacelines always form, and you essentially end up riding a TTT on each lap with folks you never even met before. I'll be gone by Church Creek #2, but I would highly recomend trying a team time trial just to see what it is like. It really is not as scarry or technical as people think. When we did Rio Grande, we had only two out of six who did one before, and we actually ended up winning the non-USAC registered team division.

POSTED: 7/08/09 8:53 AM

where are the F1 style races around here?

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:03 AM

I don't know any local F1 style races, but American Zofingen has an F1 Duathlon up in New Paltz in October. I doubt any pace lines will form though, that bike course is a killer.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria