Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Sandy Point OWS Still on for Sat?
CREATED: 07/07/09 by gtreynolds REPLIES: 30
gtreynolds    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
Sandy Point OWS Still on for Sat?
POSTED: 7/07/09 12:35 PM

Last week's newletter listed an OWS at Sandy Point on Saturday but I don't see it on the clendar. Is it still on?

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
RE: Sandy Point OWS Still on for Sat?
POSTED: 7/07/09 2:11 PM

I don't know if the OWS is still on, but I would love to get a swim and maybe a bike ride in on Saturday morning. If anyone wants to split a zipcar Shaalini and I can drive. Interest?

jzimmer    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 7/07/09 3:14 PM

I'd really like to do the OWS if it's still on and would love to split the ride with you Urban if still available. Bike after the swim sounds good too.

~jz

LMR6478's ravatar LMR6478    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 7/07/09 4:11 PM

I was wondering about this too - I saw it in the email and was counting on going. Can only commit to swim, though.

ambrady    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 7/08/09 12:10 PM

I would like to swim and/or bike on Sat. But, as always, don't have a car to get out to Sandy Point. If anyone would not mind taking me (live in DC), I would be indebted! Anne Marie (annemariebrady19@hotmail.com).

POSTED: 7/08/09 4:27 PM

We can get a truck from zipcar which should be able to fit 4 people with 4 bikes in the flatbed. My email is matthew.longley AT gmail.com, if you are interested in splitting the cost of a zipcar (~80/4) and riding out with us in the morning send me a note (that means 2 spots after shaalini and I).

FYI - it is currently forecasted to be thunderstorming on Saturday, so we might have to reconsider as we get closer to the day.

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 7/08/09 4:32 PM

Hi guys,
The OWS on Saturday is still on the books... look out for confirmation and details in the upcoming weekly email. We will monitor the weather situation and respond accordingly!
Julia

minime's ravatar minime    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 7/10/09 7:30 AM

Julia and I are headed out from Dupont/Adams Morgan area.

Got room for one or two more people.

sheriece.matias@gmail.com

POSTED: 7/10/09 10:42 AM

Hey Julia, there were no details in the weekly email... I heard from someone that you were planning on hitting the water at 9?

Shaalini and I would love to meet up with you all, my cell is 202-341-5887 (my name is Matt). We'll be leaving from Columbia Heights at about 8. Would one of you mind sharing a cell number and I can hit you up tomorrow morning?

gtreynolds    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 7/10/09 10:47 AM

Also, since this is my first OWS, anything we need to bring besides our bathing suit?

Glenn

POSTED: 7/10/09 10:49 AM

also jzimmer, holler at me if you want a ride, we've got a spot for you...

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
Sandy Point OWS, Saturday 7/11
POSTED: 7/10/09 11:19 AM

I hope you're all excited for tomorrow's swim! The weather is looking perfect, so we are good to go. Many of you have already tried your hand at open water, but if you haven't, don't worry. Some strong swimmers and mentors from the club will be on hand to lend their expertise.

Here is the link to the park site if you have never been to Sandy Point:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/Southern/sandypoint.html

It's about a 40-minute drive from DC. When you arrive, just follow the signs to the beach (there is only one) and you will see a low building that has restrooms and showers. We'll meet there at 9am, go over safety and some technique, and plan to be in the water by 9:30. Please try to arrive on time so we can be in the water before it gets crowded. Just look for a bunch of brightly colored swim caps and DC tri gear!

The park charges a small admission fee: $5 per person for Maryland residents, and $6 per person non-Maryland residents.

I'd recommend bringing the outfit you plan to swim in at New Jersey, so you can see if it works for you or if you need to make adjustments. If you have a wetsuit you want to try out, feel free to bring that, too.

We'll practice some mass starts, sighting and finishing, but don't expect to get a ton of yardage in -- the purpose of this swim is to get comfortable with the feel of open water.

Please post any other questions here! If you get lost or need help tomorrow, my number is 202 309 8532.

See you all on the beach!

amiehwoods's ravatar amiehwoods    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 7/10/09 11:25 AM

See you guys there!

- Amie

p.s. Anyone who needs a ride from Dupont, call me: 585-230-6462

diankell's ravatar diankell    JOINED: 6/16/09    POSTS: 3
POSTED: 7/10/09 12:13 PM

I'm still debating between Sandy Point and Gunston. Is there a good area for biking in Sandy Point after the swim? I'm trying to see if I can fit in both!

gardengirl's ravatar gardengirl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 119
POSTED: 7/10/09 12:20 PM

Anyone up for a ride after the swim? I am very slow on the bike and would love some company.

Malissa
malissazimmerman@hotmail.com
202-236-5645

POSTED: 7/10/09 12:20 PM

Simon posted these two bike routes last week (sorry one is long):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=State+Park+Rd&daddr=Unknown+road+to:Skidmore+Dr+to:MD-450%2FUS+Naval+Academy+Bridge+to:38.989369,-76.49467&hl=en&geocode=FZhsUwIdWSZy-w%3BFThmUwIdfiFy-w%3BFTZSUwIdIw9y-w%3BFcYAUwIdcu1w-w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=4&sz=15&via=1,2,3&sll=38.988268,-76.49497&sspn=0.012542,0.029869&ie=UTF8&ll=38.994639,-76.478705&spn=0.012541,0.029869&z=15

http://www.tricolumbia.org/Annapolis/images/Bike_Course_08.pdf

Last saturday Shaalini and I did the second one and it was really great, although I think the last 8 miles or so is on a highway so we improvised (it is also very possible that we got lost).

We will be biking after, we could link up if you wanted.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 250
POSTED: 7/10/09 3:36 PM

as insane as it sounds, I'm planning to get there early to run (10 miles) and, if all goes well, get a swim in (perhaps 3 or 4 trips around the buoys) before the group arrives -- so I can get my marathon mileage and my swim distance in before helping out with the NTPers.

I'm not planning to run fast (will be wearing my HR monitor - I do zone training)... perhaps 10 minute miles average pace.

and I'm hoping to swim about 40 minutes before the group convenes for the pre-swim talk.

If all goes well, I'll be getting started with my run around 6:30.

I agree with wearing what you plan to wear in NJ. If NJ will be wet suit optional, and you're not planning to wear a wetsuit, I'd recommend getting some practice without one ...

anyone know the water temp (I may throw mine in the trunk just to be safe)?

-becky

edgarnett    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 7/10/09 5:36 PM

Hey Amie-

Wondering if I could get a ride from Dupont tomorrow? I'll give you a call once I get home from work but my number is 516-680-3979.

Thanks,

Ed

mark    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/12/09 10:44 PM

so anyone else get bitten by jellyfish?
im ok now but i felt crappy all day yesterday. it could also have been all the bay water i drank too

thanks to the NTP organizers, the ows was very useful and a great confidence builder!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/12/09 10:50 PM

becky, you have got to be kidding me with that workout you had planned, did you do it? that is insane.

and this coming from the person that told me "yeah but i don't take the triathlon thing very seriously at all"

putting a 10 miler in before a swim workout officially qualifies you as "type A triathlete".

sorry but that workouts proves you are.

Justin

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria