Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Sandy Point OWS Still on for Sat?
CREATED: 07/07/09 by gtreynolds REPLIES: 30
urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
RE: Sandy Point OWS Still on for Sat?
POSTED: 7/13/09 9:49 AM

did you really get stung by a jellyfish? what time was that? thank god for wetsuits...

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 250
POSTED: 7/13/09 10:00 AM

I got stung by one, too - on my arm. Felt prickly but not bad. Nice and red on the drive home, but didn't hurt anymore at that point.
I suspect your GI issues were related to the water consumed... a couple of waves got me pretty good... yuck.

and, no Justin, I'm not an uber-type A+ triathlete (probably a B+ to A- type). I'm in full on marathon mode now and needed to get my run in. Didn't want to waste the OWS opportunity since I've barely been swimming since EM.

Doing 70 miles with Tuan on Sunday, now that's a different story...

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/13/09 10:13 AM

sooo. let me get this straight "i needed to get my run in" and you do this before an ows early morning, and then on sunday you do a 70 miler bike.. hmmm

sorry becky, the first step in any "program" is acceptance, and you have to accept that you are an uber Type A triathlete anyone that does that type of training weekend qualifies. if you were "in full on marathon mode" you would have scrapped the ows and bike ride of that length. LOL. nobody but a hardcore triathlete does that type of training weekend.

d-nile, is not just a river in the amazon.

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 7/13/09 10:45 AM

Big props to all the NTPers who came to Sandy Point on Saturday to battle the waves and the sea nettles!

I checked out the photos from New Jersey last year and remembered that the swim-out was actually a ramp (not a ladder) so you WILL get a chance to use those swim-until-you-reach-land skills. If you still have any questions or concerns about the swim, please post them here.

PS: I didn't see any jellies because of the strong surf, and also probably denial, but if you think you got stung, please consult Tuan about the art of peeing on yourself.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 7/13/09 11:04 AM

Oh Julia ... you did not just go there. Please tell me that you did not just go there!!!!

Pure, sweet, innocent little Julia. How can thee slandered the great Vietnamese Royalty like that ? Oh, the humanities. Are there anything that are still sacred in this country ? The liberal media and its liberal agenda have corrupted thee.

Why have thou done this to me ?
If thou stab me do I not bleed ?
If thou tickle me do I not giggle ?
If thou put me on a bike do I not .... oh, nevermind

Tuan

gtreynolds    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 7/13/09 1:35 PM

Fortunately, I was following Julia on the swim (and trusting she knew where she was going since it was hard to find the bouys over the waves) so I also did not run into any jellies....which thankfully means I don't have to contemplate Tuan's homeopathic cure!

More importantly, thanks to all those who provided OWS pointers on Saturday--that was one of the remaining anxieties for NJ, and I figure if we can swim those swells we should be fine in the lake, right!!??

Glenn

gardengirl's ravatar gardengirl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 119
RE: Sandy Point OWS - THANKS!!
POSTED: 7/13/09 4:07 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped with the swim and bike ride!
Stephanie literally saved me from my lack of bike skills with her patience and impromptu gear shifting-bike handling lesson.

In gratitude,
Malissa

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/13/09 4:14 PM

with all the talk on bike skills and shfiting

next year for teh ntp people or anyone else, we really should have a clinic for a few hours on bike handling skills and how to shift, etc broken up into several groups and take everyone out to someplace that is hilly and such to practice for a few hours so that people can get more comfortable with riding and such.

just a thought.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 7/13/09 8:58 PM

julia, it looks like you have your first volunteer to run NTP next year!

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
RE: Sandy Point OWS
POSTED: 7/14/09 10:30 AM

Gear clinic... check! Not to be confused with the other kind of "gear" -- the addictive, techie, carbon-fiber kind.

Glenn, I thought I was following you?

New Jersey won't have the waves you rode at Sandy Point, but there will be more people to work around. This weekend was great practice, though, for those times when you can't see a buoy and will have to rely on other landmarks and nearby swimmers for sighting. Just remember to use both, because some of your fellow swimmers may accidentally take you on a little tour of the lake, free of charge :o)

gtreynolds    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 7/14/09 12:45 PM

Mmmm, perhaps that explains why we kept on runing into each other, Julia. (And despite the earlier instructions, I kept apologizing...) As in so many other things in life, I will take heed of your advice to make sure that whomever I chose to follow knows where they are going!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria