Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Savageman Training Weekend
CREATED: 07/07/09 by jules REPLIES: 72
kyleyost's ravatar kyleyost    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 34
RE: Savageman Training Weekend
POSTED: 7/16/09 8:33 AM

Just to clarify, I won't be staying there. My wife and I have a cabin out there across the street from this rental. I don't even know whether I'll be able to be out that weekend or not.

If a few more people indicate they would rather stay in this inexpensive rental than camp, I will check with the owners whether they are willing to rent it out that weekend or not.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 7/16/09 10:46 AM

Let me know about the rental.

ambrady    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 7/16/09 11:21 AM

Kyle,

I would be interested in staying at the cabin...but can otherwise camp as well, should the cabin not work. Anne Marie

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 7/16/09 2:43 PM

More detailed information regarding the training plan for the Savageman training weekend will be posted as we get closer to that time but it is a fantastic place to train with great biking, running and swimming opportunities! You will have the choice of riding either the Olympic or Half course and riding one or both days so you can do as much or as little as you would like. We will also have some alternate cue sheets available if you would like to try out other rides in the area. On Saturday night there will be a group dinner. Additional details will follow soon!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/16/09 11:58 PM

hmmm. In (.....?) Curse you happy hour.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/17/09 9:10 AM

Simon,

How do you think I got reeled into doing Savageman. Drinking with a bunch of my Tri buddies. Now I just gotta figure out how the hell I am going to make it through the course without dieing.

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 7/17/09 9:00 PM

Kyle,

If there's space Michele and I would be up for the cabin. I've been meaning to ask you for a recce on a house rental for race weekend, too. I think I need to start calling rental companies ASAP. Hope you and Laura are doing well.

Lawrence

POSTED: 7/19/09 4:35 PM

ok, the house is available that weekend. The rate is $390 for the weekend and has 4 bedrooms. So, roughly $100 per room for the weekend. There's a hot tub, but other than that none of the regular amenities of a rental. Four bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and access to the best part of the lake for swimming, and very near your camping compatriots.

Based on first-come-first-serve, it goes to:
jpacovich - John
xena
ambrady - Anne Marie
DuathlonFreak - Lawrence Buckley

I've got the place reserved for you, but not paid. Contact me off-list at kyleyost at gmail dot com for details.

House is located here:
http://bit.ly/OFu6s

idar's ravatar idar    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/20/09 9:17 AM

This sounds great, I'd like to come too.
Is there still space in the camp sites or should I reserve an additional one?

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 7/20/09 9:58 AM

There are still spaces available at our camp sites, no need to reserve more space at this time.

Once you all figure out who is going to be in the rental house, please post here so that I can track how many people are going to be camping. We have space for 12 campers right now but we can reserve additional space as needed. Thanks!

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 7/20/09 10:09 AM

I'm in, and game for either sleeping option. I have a tent. I'm going to try to rope in a friend to join.
Carol
clcohen at gmail

cstone's ravatar cstone    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 7/21/09 12:50 AM

Unfortuntely I can't make it this weekend (have a wedding), but it sounds like fun. If anyone else has a conflict but would like to go the weekend before instead (Aug 1-2) let me know.
Chris

themoneyman's ravatar themoneyman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 7/21/09 1:39 PM

I also have a conflict for that weekend and would be interested in a 8/1 or 8/2 training.

I would prefer to a 1-day and either day works for me.

I have a car and can carry three additional people & bikes.

Are there any special arraignments we need to make for the lake swim?

Thanks,
Ethan 'at' Lish.net

jpacovich's ravatar jpacovich    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 7/21/09 1:43 PM

I'd be interested in a 1-day training opportunity as well (even though I'm planning on going the following weekend too)!

jpacovich@hotmail.com

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 7/22/09 5:36 PM

I think Shaalini and I are down, sounds like a ton of fun. Anyone have space for two plus bikes in their car?

Can someone comment on the skill level here? Will there be people doing moderate rides as well? (or is Savageman reserved for savage men?)

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 7/22/09 6:05 PM

For those who have never ridden up at Deep Creek, be forewarned that it does require some pretty good climbing skills. Even the more moderate rides (like the Savageman Olympic bike course) have some challenging climbs. On the oly course, Frank Brenneman Rd is a doozy and was marked as a Category 1 climb last year. The hills are steep, and if they're not steep, they're relentless going on for miles and miles. The descents can be pretty scary too, so you want to make sure that you're pretty comfortable with your bike handling skills. As a point of comparison, if you've done the Conte's Arlington hill ride, that's a walk in the park compared to riding up at DCL.

If this is your first time riding up at DCL and you're not already a strong cyclist, I would not recommend going out and trying the Savageman 1/2 course your first day. It is no ordinary 56 miles. It has been known to make people cry (yes, I'll own up to it) and has humbled many good cyclists. I'd suggest giving the Olympic course a try first to get a little taste of how sadistic Kyle Yost can be. (Kyle - no offense, but you have to admit that you know how to bring the pain! ::B^>:: )

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going. I just want to make sure people know what to expect if they're not familiar with the area or terrain. It's a beautiful location and a great place to train, and I can't wait until the next time I can get back up there.

POSTED: 7/22/09 6:52 PM

"SavageMan, we didn't call it WussyMan for a reason"

I think everyone should do the Deep Creek Diabolical Double while they're out there.... :)

Seriously, the riding is hard but incredibly beautiful and incredibly satisfying. At least to me. But I'm a big horse and lugging 200 lbs around those hills is a hell of a challenge.

Crying is nothing to be ashamed of. Here's your 2007 ChesapeakeMan Champion:
http://www.savagemantri.org/Images/640x384/DH_197.jpg. He sheds tears every time I spread that photo.

And, for some motivation, go check out Part 12 from the Videos page. The first minute plus is DC Tri Gary Dean failing to get up the Wall and then (illegally, but he still got his brick....) trying again. I also like the dead last rider coming through after most everyone is gone and just spinning up and away and over the horizon. (and then the mini switchbacks she does up the road later on in the climb after the Wall).

As I say, it's challenging out there but really rewarding. And you don't have to be some kind of superstar. Take your time, enjoy the day, and bring climbing gears and you'll be fine. All the hills end and they're not all as steep as the Westernport Wall, so don't let that intimidate you.

Lesh's ravatar Lesh    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 7/23/09 8:33 PM

Can I still get a camping spot? I have a 3-person tent (luxurious camping for two) if someone needs a roof over their head...

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/23/09 11:03 PM

Out due to conflicts. Thanks.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 7/24/09 9:20 AM

Advice needed, either before or after the training weekend (unfortunately can't make the trip with everyone):

I've signed up for the Half this year. Last year I did the Olympic on my road bike with a triple (12-26 in the back, I think) and did fine. I have since acquired a tri bike with a compact crank (12-27 in the back). The improvement over the road bike is impressive - the tri bike gears agree so, so, so much better with me in my climbing up and around Montgomery County...but I don't know if it'll be enough for the Half. Last year I needed the granny gear on that evil Cat 1 climb (though I'm proud to say I made it up the hill without walking my bike!). I know zero about gear ratios aside from knowing what I spit out in this post.

What do you think...road bike or tri bike?

- Suzanne

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria