Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Savageman Training Weekend
CREATED: 07/07/09 by jules REPLIES: 72
kyleyost's ravatar kyleyost    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 34
RE: Savageman Training Weekend
POSTED: 7/24/09 10:26 AM

34-27 on a bike that you prefer says to me you should go with that bike.

You can "preview" the course via a helicopter flyover view at the bottom of each of the bike course pages on the website. Run courses to come soon.

http://www.savagemantri.org/Bike_Course.html
http://www.savagemantri.org/Bike_Course_Intl.html

gillianoak23    JOINED: 3/6/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 7/24/09 10:31 AM

Not going to be able to make it for the Aug 8-9 weekend, but am planning to go do the (half) course the weekend of Aug 15. Anyone interested in joining me?

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 7/24/09 4:28 PM

Hi Guys,
(This is Shaalini, I am using Matt's login to post since I can't post for some reason. Any suggestions on how to fix that? I emailed membership but she wasn't sure how to fix it either...)

Matt and I are definitely interested in the trip, but I'm still pretty new to biking and don't have the best handling skills. I am really hoping to do some hill work so that I can improve, but don't want to tackle anything too crazy just yet. Are any other newbies thinking about doing this trip? Would there be some people willing to do more moderate rides? Just want to make sure I wouldn't be the only weeping at the bottom of some hill...

If there is the potential to do moderate rides (even by myself) to get the distance but not necessarily the killer hills, I'm definitely in!

Let me know, thanks!
Shaalini

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 7/24/09 4:33 PM

I'm not a great cyclist and I definitely suck at hills.
I will be there, probably walking my bike up the hills.

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 7/24/09 10:06 PM

I have a 54X42. Wish I had something smaller, but I don't. if you're considering going but scared you'll get left behind, stop worrying. someone will be behind you, and she'll be smiling (not crying) as long as the sun is shining.

katiu    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 7/28/09 6:28 PM

Awesome! I am in! Should I bring my tent? Any contact information?

Thanks!

Katiu

POSTED: 7/29/09 11:17 PM

The Garrett County Fair is August 8-15. If you're in DCL either of those weekends, you have to go. Demolition Derby, livestock auction, tractor pulls, fried snickers, 12 year olds making out, shady carnival rides. Don't miss it!

Garrett County Fairgrounds over by WISP.

Too much fun - and also where Spaz the SavageMan mascot came from... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcFzJC-Fs0

macoffman's ravatar macoffman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 7/31/09 10:00 AM

Hey Jules, Thanks for organizing this. I'm planning to attend and will be camping. Please count on me +1 other tent spot for a friend.

Mike

POSTED: 7/31/09 10:17 AM

Hi Jules! How do we reserve a camping spot with you? Me and Katiu are joining for the weekend (1 tent), and we want to make sure there is space. Thanks. feel free to email sarah.swigart@gmail.com

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 7/31/09 11:08 AM

In case it wasn't clear, Shaalini and I are also both definitely down. My email is matthew.longley@gmail.com. We have a tent, just need some dirt to put it on.

Thanks!

POSTED: 8/02/09 11:01 PM

Due to late cancelation (or maybe never confirmed, who knows; I do not want to be DC Tri travel agent), there remains one room in a rental on Brant Rd, just down the street from the campgrounds and on the run course and the wake-free cove on the lake where swimming is best.

It is a 4 bedroom house, 1 bath, 1 kitchen, hottub, very simple and very cheap. Far below market rental rates out there because it is a neighbor of mine doing me a favor by opening up their house to me while they are away. $95 for the weekend.

First come first serve.

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:38 AM

does anyone have the contact info for the person that organized the camp site reservations?
thanks
Carol
clcohen at gmail

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

If you haven't already done so, please provide me with your contact information: e-mail address and cell if you want to share that. My e-mail address is kennedyjulie2 at gmail. I will send out additional details and also the contact list so you can coordinate rides, etc if you choose to.

Here's the list of participants thus far:
Mark, John + 1, Shelly-Ann, Anne Marie, phillybindc, Michele and Lawrence, Carl, Zina, ldar, Carol, Matt and Shaalini, Mike + 1, Sarah and Katiu, Michael.

If you are renting a house or a hotel rom please let me know so we can plan accordingly otherwise I will assume that you are camping.

Carol, I made the campsite reservations feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks!

Julie

ASilverman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:58 AM

Kyle,

I'm interested in the room if its not taken.

Let me know

alexei.silverman@gmail.com

ASilverman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 8/03/09 9:58 AM

Kyle,

I'm interested in the room if its not taken.

Let me know

alexei.silverman@gmail.com

ssinclai's ravatar ssinclai    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 8/03/09 10:34 AM

Hi Julie and everyone,

I am no longer able to make it. So sorry. But have a great time! Take care.

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 8/03/09 1:17 PM

Here is our plan for the weekend. I will send out additional details regarding the camping site numbers, directions, etc to the distribution list but I wanted everyone to have an idea what to expect. Of course you can feel free to do as much or as little as you like!

Saturday

Ride-8 am
Meet at Discovery Center – Deep Creek Lake State Park
898 State Park Rd, Swanton, MD 21561
A: Diabolical Double 88
B: SavageMan Half 56
C: SavageMan 2009 Intl 29

Lunch 1 pm
Site #72 of the Deep Creek Lake campground (bring your own supplies)

Swim 3 pm
Near the Discovery Center very close to the bridge on State Park Rd that goes over the lake at the entrance to the cove

Optional run 4:30 pm
Will depart from Site #72 and pick up Savageman run course

Dinner 7 pm
Uno’s
19746 Garrett Highway
Oakland, MD 21550

Sunday

Optional swim 7:00 am
Near the Discovery Center very close to the bridge on State Park Rd that goes over the lake at the entrance to the cove

Ride 8:30 am
Meet at 898 State Park Rd, Swanton, MD 21561
A: SavageMan Half 56
B: SavageMan 2008 International
C: Around Lake

Lunch 1 pm
Site #72 of the Deep Creek Lake campground (bring your own supplies)

Run 2:30 pm
Will depart from Site #72 – route TBD

Go home.

jaydeber    JOINED: 8/4/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 8/04/09 7:56 AM

I just joined the forum. Jay DeBerardinis from Tri-Velocity in Salisbury, MD. Kyle answered an email from me indicating that DCTri would be up in Deep Creek this weekend. There are two of us flatlanders coming up to Deep Creek this weekend and about 10 of us coming up again for Labor Day weekend. May see you out there. May need a tow.... Good luck.

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 8/04/09 11:41 AM

Careful throwing that "Diabolical Double 88" around. That is one of the hardest rides on the Eastern Seaboard. Honestly.

Surpassed only by the Diabolical Double 129. Don't take my word for it thought, see this: http://rapha.cc/deep-creek-md

Have a great time out there--that's the best training spot around.

POSTED: 8/04/09 12:43 PM

If you're in Ironman shape and want one of the most stunning rides you'll ever encounter, then go for the DD 88. But don't expect to make 1pm lunch. I would equate 15mph average speed for that route to a 5:00 IM bike split. But if you aren't in a rush and want some beauty and some crazy steep climbing, you should go for it. My recommendation to you all is that the A group do the SavageMan Half ride on Saturday, and for the select few still feeling eager on Sunday to do the DD 88 then.

The DD 129 is another beast altogether, reserved for true masochists. Only recommended for the sake of tackling as extreme and beautiful a one-day ride as exists, not recommended as "training" for any event, even Ironman. Makes rides like Mountains of Misery and Bike MountainMama feel like a walk in the park. Make sure you've got a full day available.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria