Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Savageman Training Weekend
CREATED: 07/07/09 by jules REPLIES: 72
macoffman's ravatar macoffman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
RE: Savageman Training Weekend
POSTED: 8/04/09 1:29 PM

Anyone know where I can find a map of the DD 88 ride?

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 8/04/09 1:33 PM

Having done the DD (a 95 mile version since our house was out of the way, with 13k of climbing) and Mountain Mama (100 miles with 11k of climbing) all in a one month period...I can honestly say that DD kicks the crap out of any ride you can find (for scenery and toughness)...save Everest Challenge, but I can't compare since I haven't done the Everest Challenge...yet...

A few others that were out in Deep Creek over July 4th did Mountain Mama as well and agreed that the DD was by far the tougher of the two. Having Bowman Hill and Miller in the same 20 mile stretch is just sadistic Kyle...

Also, if you do the DD 88, watch out for all the dogs on Amish Road...while not "large" by any means...there is a little white terrier that is voracious...it must have tasted cyclist blood at one point or another...

But seriously bring some pepper spray or something because in a 1mile stretch there are about 20 dogs that aren't tied up...with 5 dogs that thankfully are (or I wouldn't be typing this...)

The 88 will take you a good almost 6-7 hours so dedicate the day to it...

Here are some maps, cues, and GPS files...

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/deepcreeklake

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/04/09 2:12 PM

Chad,

I will not be able to sleep at night now. Knowing what I know is in my future this weekend. Think I better do the video cam thing, so people can see my last moments.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 8/04/09 2:15 PM

Hopefully you are saying that because of the dogs, not the hills...it is achievable by all means...continual patience is all you need!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 8/04/09 2:28 PM

Bring a chain tool, its easy to snap it with all the power you'll be crankin out up those nasty grades...good luck, and god speed!

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 8/04/09 3:25 PM

Bring a new set of legs and lungs too.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 8/04/09 3:41 PM

I will one up Chad. Having done the DD88 with him, Total 200 the following week, IMLP two weeks after that and Mountain Mama last weekend I will say that the DD88 was by far the hardest ride I have tackled not only in the last 5 weeks but ever. That said it is a blast and Kyle is evil (in a good way though) for creating it.

kyleyost's ravatar kyleyost    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 8/04/09 4:32 PM

I will once again recommend that both A and B groups do the Half-Iron course on Saturday, and then those who decide they want to step it up from that choose to do so on Sunday. You'll then have some context as far as what to expect.

Here are the various Diabolical Double courses (is it fair to call the ones less than 200K a double?). All have cue sheets included and you can download gpx to get into Garmins if desired.

http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route/Diabolical-Double-83 (this is the one that Chad, Joe, Kirsten all did; not sure how they made 95 out of it)

http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route/Diabolical-Double-93 (actually includes a nice 8 mile flat road along Savage River)

http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route/Diabolical-Double (the big enchilada)

Next year we should plan for the true double: Total 200 and Diabolical Double on back-to-back weekends.

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 8/05/09 6:30 PM

Hey All,

I still haven't heard back from a few of you with your contact information. If you have decided not to join us please let me know so we can plan accordingly.

Don't be scared off by the Diabolical Double....most of us won't be doing that and there are other options for rides out there that are less hilly (not flat but less hilly!).
Thanks!

Julie
kennedyjulie2 at gmail

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 8/09/09 8:42 PM

Julie,

Thanks for organizing the training weekend up in DCL. I had a blast! I cannot believe that there is a tougher ride than the Savageman Half. It was rough trying to run this morning on dead legs.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/09/09 9:11 PM

Hugh,

We crushed the olympic course this morning, and then went for a 30 min run. My legs got a huge wobble factor now. Lot's of stretching gonna be done tonight, not to mention soft tissue work on my foam roller, stick, and maybe a little motrin. Glad to see you made it around that accident.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1050
POSTED: 8/10/09 10:57 AM

Mark,

Yeah, that traffic looked like a mess. I don't have a GPS so I relied on my HughPS. The half course makes the Oly look like a cake walk.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 1/03/11 7:29 PM

are there any photos from that weekend floating around?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria