Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Many, many thanks to the DC Tri crew
CREATED: 06/20/10 by janiehayes REPLIES: 21
janiehayes    JOINED: 5/16/09    POSTS: 30
Many, many thanks to the DC Tri crew
POSTED: 6/20/10 4:16 PM

Just a note to say thanks to all the DC Tri-ers for representing today at the DC Tri! The club water stop was excellent (volunteers possessed mad skills at throwing cold water on racers when requested), the support from club members spectating was amazing, it was fun seeing other DC Tri folks racing, and the fully stocked tent at the end was a great perk. Congratulations to all who raced, and thanks to everyone for cheering - you guys are rock stars!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
RE: Many, many thanks to the DC Tri crew
POSTED: 6/20/10 5:51 PM

Thanks for keeping us alive out there you guys. The volunteers were amazing, the coordinators - Carrie, Karen, Travis, more? - even more impressive!

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 6/20/10 9:22 PM

I third the sentiments! Thanks to the team for all the pre, during, and post-race support. You guys really made today great!

zenetanar's ravatar zenetanar    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/20/10 9:26 PM

That was my first tri, and I can't say enough how amazing it was -- so well organized, and I know DC Tri had a lot to do with that. Everything from the pre-race clinics to the well-marked instructions throughout the course to the post-race celebrations was hands down top notch. THANK YOU DC Tri Volunteers -- you rock!!!!

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 6/20/10 11:22 PM

Thanks so much to everyone out there...It was amazing to see the DC Tri colors all over the course and to hear the continuous cheering and support from both fellow DC Tri racers and volunteers. Was really cool to see a lot of the track workout gang on the bike course- we spend so much time running together and I almost didn't even recognize a number of you with your helmets on!

I'm honored to be a part of this club. Special shout out to Tuan-- I felt quite honored to have my body marked by the Vietnamese King himself, even though he did mark my number incorrectly (I think they have a different number system over there? Or maybe they just don't function well at 445am?). Another special shout out to Simon for his mentorship the last few months and to the NTP coordinators for sharing their wisdom and experience.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure how you volunteers stood out in that sun for so long-- at least racers got to have some shade every now and then..you guys are awesome!

H

neisha101's ravatar neisha101    JOINED: 1/7/10    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 6/21/10 8:02 AM

I want to send out an extra special thanks to SHANNON. She stopped with me for over 20mins to help me fix my flat. She was racing and did an unbelievable job at calming me down and getting me settled after I thought my race was over. It took me almost an hour to get started again. Shannon, deserves an extra medal, sacrificing her race time, for a stranger on the side of the road.

THANK YOU...I finished my first triathlon, in large part, due to you.

Neisha (the girl sitting in tears on the side of the road around Rock Creek Park)

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1783
POSTED: 6/21/10 11:40 AM

Washington, DC now hosts two major, well-supported triathlons. (And two major marathons.) Does any other city do that? And to think the future of the Nation's Tri, just a few years ago, seemed a bit shaky after its inaugural race. Pretty amazing.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 6/21/10 1:56 PM

Tri Town USA!

Other than the heat, everything about the race was great. +10 on thanking all the volunteers, from those in the support kayaks (Ed), to those pointing out turns on the bike and run courses, the people in the transition area (bodymarking, timing chips, entrance security), the water stops on the run, and those at the finishing area. All the volunteers made the race experience a great one.

The club support was great too. I changed into a DC Tri Club shirt in T2 since I didn't have a club jersey for the bike. I got many encouraging words along the course, from both other competitors and from spectators.

The tent at the finishing area was very welcome. Cool water, food, strawberries, and orange slices -- tasty! Thanks to everyone there.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 211
POSTED: 6/21/10 1:59 PM

I'd like to thank the DC Tri Club water stop crew, personally handpicked by Bryan Frank, at around mile 2... their enthusiasm and support was appreciated by all competitors, I'm sure!

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 6/21/10 2:00 PM

Ed, don't forget that DC was also the first U.S. city to host an ITU World Championship Series race. (The Hy-Vee ITU race in Iowa is part of a different ITU series.)

And there's still a chance that DC might host a stage or two of the 2012 Giro d'Italia. (50-50 odds, the last I heard.)

Add this to organizations naming DC the fittest city in America and it looks like we're gunning for the title of Endurance Sports Capital of the country. Very cool!

jennycrawford's ravatar jennycrawford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 6/21/10 3:48 PM

I couldn't agree more with everything already mentioned in this thread. Simon wasn't exaggerating when he said thanks for keeping us alive. Water over the head is a slight shock to the system, but necessary! As long as I wasn't confusing the water cups with the blue Powerade cups, I figured I was still conscious enough to keep going on the run. And to have so many people knowing my name helped so much!
Outside of the water stop, thanks to Tuan for keeping me from tripping on the ramp out of the swim (I was outwardly excited to have that part over with), and to the enthusiastic NTP-er at the tricky U-turn on the bike near Arlington cemetary for encouraging me (on both loops!) by name. Standing out in that sun was a tough day for you all too!

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 364
POSTED: 6/21/10 4:40 PM

Thanks for the support everyone!!! Sooo glad my jersey came in time for the race :) Definitely helped hearing so many people shouting "GO DC TRI!!!" during the race :)

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 6/21/10 5:15 PM

It was amazing to see so many DC Tri Club members out there racing and volunteering! DC Tri gear was everywhere! A big thank you to all the volunteers and congratulations to all the racers! DC Tri Club definitely dominated yesterday....way to represent!! A special congratulations to the NTP class of 2010 for completing their goal race!

Julie

harburgm's ravatar harburgm    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 94
POSTED: 6/21/10 5:32 PM

Good job to all of DC Triathlon yesterday!!

Just in case you were not aware,

The results are up on the athletes service platform! You can check your own, or see all results here:

http://onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php#racetop

Also, for a different type of "results" and data.....New this year is Zum Camera. On the website go to the "Athlete Services Platform" and type in anyone's last name and you can watch their race against either their age group or against a specific person (s) or rival (s) or age group (s). Once you are in the Platform, click on "Watch your race," and there you have it! You have to try it to see what I am talking about, check it out!

Finally, be sure to note the tabs section which includes "Fun Facts," graphs and more.

Michelle

Michelle Harburg
Program Director, ACHIEVE
734-255-2921
http://achievekidstri.org/home.html

KBRESLIN    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 62
POSTED: 6/21/10 6:55 PM

I'm so happy for my fellow dc tri & ntp'rs for completing the race! I unfortunately broke my elbow on my bike ride to get my race number/packet on Fri pm so I was not able to do my first tri. I did, however, volunteer and feel good about cheering on the race goers (I had the bull horn at the end of Memorial Bridge - "sprint/transition right, lap 2 olympic left"). One bummer about that volunteer spot is I didn't get to see what a tri is like nor did I get to see/hang w/fellow club members & friends at the finish line/tent. So I missed out on the substitute experience.

I'm hoping I can beg, borrow or negotiate my way into a spot at the nations tri to make up for this huge disappointment. It will be 6 weeks before I can start training again so that would be perfect timing and I can train w/you folks. :) I don't recall the name of the NTP lead who recruited me/volunteers at the pre-race dinner so could someone pass my name along to him or vice versa so I can follow up re: incentive (name in hat for spot at nations tri) ;). I'll celebrate vicariously through your postings re: how exciting it is to do/complete a tri. :)

Also, didn't someone mention a celebratory happy hour this week?

akoethe    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 6/21/10 7:24 PM

So sorry to hear about the arm! The same thing (literally the exact same break) happened to me in mid-April, and I completed the Sprint tri on Sunday!

I was only able to complete the race due to the solid training base that I had until that point, and the support and advice of NTP co-leaders and other DC Tri veterans. So thanks to you, and all of the other DC Tri Club members who volunteered and cheered on your teammates! It was a great experience.

Alice

rbenig1's ravatar rbenig1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 6/21/10 7:46 PM

So I don't get to comment on here all that much but I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here especially in these case! Many many many thanks to all the volunteers out on this course. Even though some of us were suffering out there (me!), I can't thank all you guys enough for taking the time and effort to encourage us and provide some much needed refreshment throughout the race despite the sweltering conditions. Looking forward to the next club race, whenever that may be! Job well done gang!

Rhyne

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 6/22/10 11:06 AM

Congrats to all who raced this past weekend and I'm sorry to have missed out. No matter your distance or time, you are a triathlete and should be proud of your accomplishments. From what I have heard, DC Tri had yet another strong showing in terms of volunteers and participants.

Congratulations to all for you hard work and well deserved finish.

Amanda :::^D::

gswiszcza's ravatar gswiszcza    JOINED: 1/27/10    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 6/22/10 11:33 AM

Yes, thank you to all the volunteers and DC Tri folks who were out there cheering!! I didn't realize what a confidence boost it is to hear people cheering you on and encouraging you to keep going. Thanks again to you guys and DC Tri for making my first triathlon a great experience.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 6/22/10 12:17 PM

Kbres sorry that you ended up with the broken elbow. At the expo it did seem like road rash and that sucks that it ended up more serious. Hope that you have a speedy recovery and a great rest of the season. Alice awesome job with your recovery plan and finishing the race! You seemed sure of at least giving it a go last month, and you put it on the line and stayed tough. Well done.
HPea thanks and see you at track Coach.
Michelle that Watch Your Race is the best thing ever created.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria