Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Race Reports?
CREATED: 08/26/09 by mccannjl REPLIES: 2
mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
Race Reports?
POSTED: 8/26/09 1:00 PM

Forum gurus, can we get a section called "race reports"? Right now it's under "race" but it's still "under construction"--it would be nice to have all race reports in one central place.

and speaking of race reports...I want to read about timberman!!! Bring 'em on!

anthonyacook's ravatar anthonyacook    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
RE: Race Reports?
POSTED: 8/26/09 3:05 PM

Timberman was wonderful. All week, the weather channel was projecting rain / thunderstorms. However, Sunday morning everything changed and the weather was great. As my parents live in Laconia, NH I can say this, but the locals were complaining about humidity. However, if you train in DC in the summer, the weather actually had low humidity (to us).

The ride was challenging with a long out and back (a good amount of challenging hills and one long false flat). The run is scenic in a residential area that follows the lake. There were a couple hills on the run. It is a good course that poses a decent amount of challenges - and some technical turns on the bike but not too many.

Keith Jordan is, in my opinion, one of the best race directors in the business. Things were organized very well. There was an issue with paint on the race course by a "rogue triathlete" of Team Mossman. The race director and the members of Team Mossman were absolutely disgusted that someone on their team would do this. Needless to say, the night of the race, they made arrangements to have all of the paint taken care of (and, there was lots of paint on the bike and run course). For example "MTMBWY" - "May The Moss Be With You" was all over the course and a complete listing of all Mossman participants at the race. Keith handled and it great and he did a great job at managing the relationship with the local communities and organizations. On the endorfun forums, members of Team Mossman publicly apologized for the paint issue.

There was an interesting sign while riding up The Marsh Hill Monstah...a steep hill at about mile 9 of the bike course...the sign said "If it were easy then the race would be called Eagleman". I have done Eagleman and I respect the 70.3 distance (no matter what the course) so I didn't know what to think of this. I just rode on.

Andy Potts and Chrissie Wellington won. Chrissie Wellington stuck around and was presenting medals to the athletes who crossed the line after her. My brother and I both had our medals presented to us by her (that was one of the highlights of the race). Also, I met Mr. Hoyt from Team Hoyt at packet pickup and he was very nice. He did the Sprint on Saturday during the rain.

Keith Jordan will have some challenges in the future - Rev-3 Half Iron is in Connecticut on the same weekend as Mooseman. But, I really like his events and will probably stay loyal to Endorfun. His festivals have great volunteers and I will most likely be back in 2010.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 454
RE: Race Reports?
POSTED: 8/26/09 3:50 PM

Great race Tony and it was great seeing all the DC Tri'ers on the course!

It was a tough day on the course: hot, humid & sun. I was already starting pretty late in the morning being in the second to last wave and then the start got delayed for another 30 minutes due to a non-race-related car accident on the bike course. I finally went off at 0835 in full sunshine. By the time I hit the run course, I was really suffering and slowed down considerably. Still happy with my race considering the conditions (and that I had to pass close to 1,200 people!). Overall I placed pretty high in my age group - 16th.

It is a fun race, very well organized, and great support. Lake Winnipesaukee is crystal clear, the bike course was hard but not as hard as River Road and the backroads of Poolsville, and the run was probably a little tougher than I had thought going in with some decent climbs and hot sections.

Kevin

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria