DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

So I ran my first marathon today...
CREATED: 10/30/11 by jbauer REPLIES: 3
jbauer    JOINED: 1/1/11    POSTS: 70
So I ran my first marathon today...
POSTED: 10/30/11 11:29 PM

which was the MCM, of course.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me a "Go DC Tri!" shout-out during the race. After hitting a wall after 18.5 miles, I really needed every bit of encouragement. I’ll single-out Hugh who I saw near mile 20, and then again - surprisingly - somewhere between mile 25 and 26. My legs were dead in the last few miles, but the high-five I got from him kept me running (although very slowly) to the finish line. Thanks, man!

Now I just need to be able do this after 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 miles of biking at IM Lake Placid in July.

Justin

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 183
RE: So I ran my first marathon today...
POSTED: 10/31/11 10:06 AM

Justin I think I played a bit of leap frog with you from about mile 18 to the finish. I had the same thoughts during the last 10k, "I'm supposed to do this after a 112 mile bike in Louisville next August? Crap". Congrats on your first marathon! My full race recap is at http://hollimarie.blogspot.com/2011/10/always-earned-never-given.html

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 10/31/11 12:09 PM

Huge congratulations to both of you and all club members who ran MCM yesterday. I needed a workout so I parked on Cap Hill to run to the mall. Then, I ran over to Arlington cemetary to cheer on everyone to the finish. I knew it would be close to catch you, Justin. Sorry to miss you out there, Holli.

Back in 1996, I ran MCM as my first marathon. When I got done I said to myself that it was the hardest thing I have ever done (more so than a half IM) and that I would never run again. 30+ marathons later they are just still a rush to me. Both of you will do great at your IM next year. You probably won't be able to keep the same pace though, but you'll cross that finish line.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 221
POSTED: 11/01/11 12:39 AM

This is why I'm glad I never quite finished a stand-alone marathon before my IM last year - no expectations past finishing. ;) Be prepared to be yelling (internally, hopefully), "Why do people do this distance for fun?!?" But be assured, you can do it -if I could finish Louisville at 3 minutes to midnight, y'all can do it sooner than that. You're gonna rock it, and you'll have plenty of club support to help you through it all!

-Will

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria