DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Bike Computer with Cadence
CREATED: 04/09/13 by AROD REPLIES: 13
AROD    JOINED: 1/16/13    POSTS: 27
Bike Computer with Cadence
POSTED: 4/09/13 9:55 AM

All,

I was wondering if anyone had or knew of a good place to go buy a bike computer with cadence. I have a wireless one that I got from a friend but it does not have cadence ability and I am at the point where I don't see my distance to time improving. Any suggestions?

jkuper    JOINED: 11/13/12    POSTS: 22
RE: Bike Computer with Cadence
POSTED: 4/09/13 10:06 AM

I would look on ebay for Trek Node. It uses ANT+ sensors and can display speed, cadence, heart rate and can support multiple bikes. I switched to it from my Cateye Strada wireless, which was great but didn't "talk" to my Garmin. It's nice to have one sensor for both. Of course, one would argue why have both when you can just have the Garmin and clip it ontp the bars...well, I have my reasons :P

POSTED: 4/09/13 10:22 AM

Do you have any specific models that you recommend? I may have old school mentality but I still think each piece of equipment was made for a specific function. That and being new to the sport I don't think a $400 bike computer will really provide me a huge benefit at the moment.

POSTED: 4/09/13 10:29 AM

Bontrager Node 2.0 or 2.1 can be found on ebay for 80 bucks. Here's one for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bontrager-Node-2-1-/261197884562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd09b6c92

Looks like it comes with the heart rate strap already and will work with a Garmin GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor for another $35

I was simply suggesting that as you become more involved with the sport you woudn't have to completely change your setup from a proprietary wireless computer. And it's no where near $400.

POSTED: 4/09/13 10:38 AM

Nice!! Yeah what you said made sense to me. I appreciate the information.

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 96
POSTED: 4/09/13 12:00 PM

Personally if you don't already have a garmin and aren't prepared to make the investment in a GPS watch or higher end ANT+ system, a wired bike computer with cadence is more reliable than an equivilent wirless cadence computer with equivilent features. You won't be able to transfer metrics the same way you can with a watch or a blue tooth option, but you can get started for about $40. If you already have or are thinking about getting a trainer, I recomend the Cateye Strada http://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Cadence-Bicycle-Computer-CC-RD200/dp/B000R6QR2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365526347&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+computer+with+cadence, it's $10 more than the Sigma BC 1609, but it has both cadence and speed on the rear wheel, so you will still be able to get speed and mileage while the front wheel is stationary unlike with the Sigma.

POSTED: 4/09/13 12:09 PM

So I have spent most of the day looking at the different options and a friend of mine recommended the CatEye Strada Double Wireless Speed and Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD400DW. He found one for about $70. Do you have any suggestions on those? I have right now a forerunnner 305 gps watch and a Rebel 5.0 on my bike.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 251
POSTED: 4/09/13 12:26 PM

The CatEye Double Wireless is my nemesis. It's so finicky or maybe it's me - check the reviews to see what other people have experienced. I'm researching an alternative. Hope to find something else before I break it in a fit of frustration. If I'm successful, you can have mine for less than $70 =)

POSTED: 4/09/13 12:29 PM

If you have the Forerunner why would you not use it to its full capabilities and just add the Garmin speed/cadence sensor?

POSTED: 4/09/13 12:31 PM

Also, I will tell you that you will NOT be able to mount the Strada double sensor AND the Garmin sensor on your bike and have both of them read cadence AND speed.

POSTED: 4/09/13 12:33 PM

I will be honest i was unaware that my Forerunner could do that. I have just been using the Forerunner for GPS/Time/Distance and using the Rebel 5.0 as a backup source for information. I will check out the garmin sensor. Thanks for the suggestion on that!!!

POSTED: 4/09/13 1:11 PM

So i went ahead and bought the Cadence to go with my Forerunner 305. Thanks jkuper for the advice. i appreciate you guys and girls for responding to my inquiry.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 4/09/13 2:57 PM

I hated my wireless and went back to a hard wire bc wireless kept fading in and out. I have a Cateye something or other that I bought at Performance, who has a selection of wired computers (not everyone carries them) and they will install - maybe small fee - but worth it for me.

I also have a Garmin 800 on my other bike. It is finicky. I am not inclined to spend oodles of time recording and downloading data. I actually prefer my Cateye & if I am super curious will wear my Timex heart rate monitor - which is infinitely more reliable than stupid Garmin.

mchaney's ravatar mchaney    JOINED: 7/29/10    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 4/10/13 8:45 AM

I was ready to ritualistically burn all my Garmin Heart Rate Monitors straps after experiencing constant drop-outs and high readings despite all the tricks (Garmin transmitter on Polar Strap, wetting the strap, wearing it upside-down and on my back). Fortunately, I found out about the Wahoo Heart Rate Strap http://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Fitness-Heart-Strap-iPhone/dp/B0042WO62U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365600009&sr=8-1&keywords=Wahoo+Fitness+Soft+Heart+Rate+Strap+for+iPod%2FiPhone that is Ant+ compatible. So far, it's been great! Highly Recommended, A+, would buy again.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria