DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

State Police Need Help Identifying Cyclist Killed Yesterday
CREATED: 08/26/09 by mcoates23 REPLIES: 5
mcoates23    JOINED: 5/19/09    POSTS: 18
State Police Need Help Identifying Cyclist Killed Yesterday
POSTED: 8/26/09 11:25 PM

Posting a forwarded message...

I got a phone call from my state trooper buddy who is assisting in the investigation of the cyclist fatality accident that occurred yesterday in Rockingham County. They still have no leads on the identity of the victim. He was carrying no ID, no RoadID bracelet, no cell phone. They don't even know if he is from Harrisonburg since they know cyclists can ride 100 miles easily in a day. He could possibly be from Waynesboro or Charlottesville or the surrounding area.

Here's the description, if this sounds familiar, please call the Virginia State Police at the number below. Next of kin has still not been notified, so please take that important piece of information into consideration if you think you may have an idea who this man is.

Caucasion male, mid to upper 40's, short black hair with widows peak, "Corona Extra" jersey, Blue and white Colnago "Dream Art Deco" All Tech 2 Pro Racing Set.
Riding from Waynesboro and involved in accident in Rockingham County.

Contact Virginia State Police
(540) 434-8593 if you have contact information.

Thanks,
-Nate Ayers

ryan's ravatar ryan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
RE: State Police Need Help Identifying Cyclist Killed Yesterday
POSTED: 8/27/09 9:30 AM

Absolutely tragic. Here is the latest:

http://www.rocktownweekly.com/news_details.php?AID=40305&CHID=1

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/27/09 9:58 AM

This is truely sad. I feel for the family.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1063
POSTED: 8/27/09 12:13 PM

This is a rough week for cyclists. My buddy's uncle was just killed in the same manner while riding in Tennessee.

Be careful out there.

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 8/27/09 12:51 PM

This makes me shudder...seems like they were both heading in the same direction, so he probably didn't know what hit him.

They've subpeoned the driver's phone records...I bet dollars to doughnuts, she was texting or talking on her cell phone.

How do you protect yourself from stupidity?

Paula

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 8/27/09 1:19 PM

This is so sad. Another cyclist lost. I used to live on Port Republic Rd. It's pretty busy near 81 and the apartments. Lots of college kids driving cars and campus buses. But, it sounds like he was out past the Food Lion (?), which is not a busy area. Although, people fly down that hill.

Harrisonburg and the surrounding area is actually quite friendly for cyclists. Great place to train. Nice bike lanes in town. The residents are also well aware of cyclists due to JMU students and the large Mennonite population.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria