Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

ITU Volunteers Needed
CREATED: 05/19/09 by siehndel REPLIES: 17
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
ITU Volunteers Needed
POSTED: 5/19/09 5:13 PM

As the tri scene in DC grows, the role of DC Tri in the community also grows. We've expanded our partnership with Nation's Tri and now we're also the Official Volunteer Organization of the Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series, Washington, DC. With the international participation of the ITU race, this is a great opportunity to take the presence of DC Tri to the world Stage.

To provide the world class race experience that participants expect from a race in DC, we are counting on the presence of DC Tri to play a massive volunteer role. Here's how you can help:

Sat, June 20: We will need volunteers to help with registration and the race expo, at transition to help rack bikes and at the swim practice in the Potomac.

Sun, June 21: Sunday is the main event and we'll need all hands on deck. We're looking for volunteers to help at Race Start and Finish, in the transition areas, as course marshals, at water stops as well as kayaks in the water to keep the swim safe.

Multiple time slots are available so you'll be able to work it in around your schedule. Volunteer Sign-Up »

Club members Karen Willard and Travis Siehndel have signed on as the volunteer coordinators for this race. If you have any questions, please email them at volunteer@wseminc.com

Thanks!

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 270
RE: ITU Volunteers Needed
POSTED: 5/27/09 1:35 PM

Bumping this topic...

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far - we've got a great DC Tri showing! However, we are still looking for some more good help for the race. You can click on the link in Travis' post above to sign up to volunteer.

We'll have a DC Tri water stop, which, if you've never worked one, is actually an awful lot of fun and a great way to meet fellow DC Tri'ers.

Or, if you want to watch the pros for tips on a speedy transition or watch them as they race to the finish, we'll set you up there!

Our email address is also listed above if you have any questions.

Thanks!

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 5/28/09 11:10 AM

Seriously folks it is pretty awesome that this event is in our home town considering it is the only one in North America. Volunteer times are flexible so you can race in the AM and volunteer for the Pro race in the afternoon or help out the day before, or volunteer for the amatuer race. So many options. It should be a pretty great event so please help support it.

POSTED: 5/29/09 5:56 PM

Start lists for the elite race have been posted and it really features a great list of athletes. Here are some of the Americans that will be racing:
Laura Bennet, Sarah Groff, Sarah Haskins, Becky Lavelle, and Rebeccah Wassner

For the men: Brian Fleishman, Hunter Kemper, Andy Potts, Matt Reed and Jarrod Shoemaker

Also racing are international top athletes and 2008 Olympic medalists such as Emma Snowsill (Olympic Gold), Bevan Docherty (Olympic Bronze), Javier Gomez, Simon Whitfield Olympic Silver), Brad Kahlefelt, Emma Moffat (Olympic Bronze), Kirsten Sweetland, Jon Frodeno (Olympic Gold) and Juri Ide.

How do you get to see these athletes up close? I'm glad you asked:

ptlori    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 5/30/09 2:46 PM

I'm in!!
It will be awesome to get a look at the race from behind the scenes. Come on guys, let's see how many DC Tri folks we can get out there on race day!

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 6/02/09 3:16 PM

I'm so excited for this. It will be lots of fun to watch the race up close while helping out. Sounds like a don't miss opportunity to me!

-Ang

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/08/09 8:18 AM

got a question i signed up as a volunteer through the site but have heard nothing yet, when do you forsee someone contacing the people that signed up for the assignements?

thanks.

POSTED: 6/08/09 9:13 AM

We're meeting on Wednesday to put volunteers into their assignments and then will be mailing out specific assignments and instructions shortly thereafter. Hopefully by the end of the week but definitely by Mon/Tues of next week.

If you have specific question I can answer, please let me know at volunteer (at) wseminc (dot) com

Thanks!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 6/20/09 7:10 PM

In town for Sunday and in.

POSTED: 6/20/09 7:16 PM

word for this race got out. great job by all.

there were actually TOO MANY volunteers at race registration today that they weren't able to find jobs for the volunteers to do.

its a good problem to have of course. but next time they will have to assign a volunteer to call other volunteers to not show up. seriously.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 505
POSTED: 6/21/09 10:47 PM

Good times today everyone! I don't plan to wash my left hand after having the likes of Potts, Stevens, and Shoemaker take water from it!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
POSTED: 6/22/09 7:51 AM

Thank you to all the volunteers. It was great seeing you out there. :) Your directions and hydration and cheers were much appreciated.

POSTED: 6/22/09 10:03 AM

It's something to think back to just a few years ago, when the first Nation's Tri had problems with the swim. Now NT is an established, excellent event, and now the city has attracted the world-class ITU to its shores. Plus the nearby races in Luray, Richmond, and Smallwood, NTM Columbia. DC, a triathlon mecca. Who'd a thunk it?

POSTED: 6/22/09 10:09 AM

exactly, dc is becoming another triathlon hub on the east coast.

the thing i really couldn't believe is how triathlons and tri clubs took off in the early 2000's in the ny tri state area. with the nyc tri and such.

i personally never thought that nyc would be a hotbed of triathletes but have been proven wrong.

well nyc does have the advantage of a lot of gyms and pools around the city and central park, and such.

guess the same thing is happening here in dc just as in nyc, but just took a few years longer to happen.

although the one advantage that dc has over nyc is literally the dctriclub. as there are just way too many tri clubs in nyc with way too many initiation fees/monthly dues/training plan dues, etc.. too many nyc clubs are all about making money.

Thank heaven that the dc tri club has not went that route, with any luck it will stay that way.

POSTED: 6/22/09 10:26 AM

Indeed.

It's also easier to access training areas in DC than in megalopolis NYC or, say, crowded, colder Boston.

I'd love to see greater use of the Potomac tho, given the paucity of area lakes. Maybe through some high-tech monitoring system that could show day to day if the water was safe in certain swimmable locales. Thinking out loud here.

jgeldner    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 6/22/09 10:35 AM

It's actually illegal to swim in the potomac (except, obviously, in races that are permitted) - there was an article about it in the post about the time of the first Nation's.

Maybe we should look into changing that...

POSTED: 6/22/09 10:37 AM

with the amount of debris in the water that they showed on tv with the pro race, i can completely understand them not allowing swimming in the potamac except for sanctioned events with the proper safetey personel.

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 6/22/09 10:39 AM

Ditto on not washing my hand after brownlee smacked it! Thanks to all the volunteers on the course--all my dc tri peeps--you guys rock it!

I can't tell you how many shouts of "go dc tri, " or "Go Jeanne" I heard along the way. So even though Number One Daughter managed to miss the whole thing (FAIL! but redeemed herself by vounteering at the ITU water stop (big sacrifice handing water to HAWT men, but I digress)) who needs her with friends like you!
:)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria