Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

OWS Monday morning
CREATED: 05/19/09 by wombat REPLIES: 42
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
OWS Monday morning
POSTED: 5/19/09 5:32 PM

I saw on the message boards some NTPers were apprehensive about open water swimming and wanted practice. I am very comfortable in the water and willing to take folks to Sandy Point on Monday morning. This is not a formal clinic - just an opportunity for a swimming buddy and some informal advice. Let me know if you're interested.

Tammy

Jelena    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 18
RE: OWS Monday morning
POSTED: 5/19/09 6:12 PM

Hi Tammy,

this sounds great - would love to join you. would i need a wet suit?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1285
POSTED: 5/19/09 9:17 PM

If you are planning to race in a wetsuit then you should bring one to practice. I've been out to Sandy Point a couple of times this year and the water is conducive to swimsuit only. It may be a tad on the chilly side but once you start swimming, you should be ok.

To everyone else ... Tammy is kind of modest but she is a serious serious swimmer. You should take her up on her offer :)

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 5/19/09 10:43 PM

I'm interested. Are there any low-traffic areas around Sandy Point to bike afterwards? Preferably a simple route since not familiar with the area.

seewhatucando's ravatar seewhatucando    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 5/20/09 8:46 AM

Me and a couple of other not so newbies were thinking about going out to Sandy Pt on Monday for practice. Would love to see other DC Tri-ers there.

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 5/20/09 9:11 AM

I'm interested in this as well. Can you post details on time and meet location? Thanks! -Ashley

POSTED: 5/20/09 9:27 AM

There are a few low traffic area around Sandy Point but not sure about during the Memorial Day weekend. The flip side to this is that since there will be a lot of people there, there will be other bikers out on the road also.

Sandy Point is a place where the Annapolis Tri was supposed to take place last year. It has a few rollers and a few moderate size hills.

POSTED: 5/20/09 9:41 AM

Due to weekend traffic concerns, why don't we meet at Sandy Point at 8 am? It's about an hour drive from DC so we can all get up at a semi-reasonable hour, drive to Sandy Point, get in a good swim, and get back before holiday weekend traffic starts pouring over the Bay Bridge. Pack a snack/lunch, bring your bike and ride the trails if you want to do a brick. There's an entry fee of $5 for MD residents and $6 for non-MD. I live in the Shirlington/Fairlington/I-395 & Quaker Lane area and can carpool.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/Southern/sandypoint.html

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 5/20/09 9:43 AM

I'm definitely interested in some swim practice! I'm just getting comfortable in the pool - take the black line away and I'm in serious trouble!

POSTED: 5/20/09 9:48 AM

Also, bring an bright colored swim cap so we can keep tabs on each other in the water. If you don't have one, I'll bring a couple extra.

I'll try to remember to tie a balloon to my blue Honda Accord so everyone can find me.

POSTED: 5/20/09 10:08 AM

Even at 9:00 AM, there may be a lot of people there already staking out spots to set up grills and picnic areas. I know that on a normal summer day weekend, it is packed. Memorial Day Weekend might even have more people. The parking lot area is kind of huge. You all should meet in the corridor connecting the male and female shower facilities. They're two buildings in the middle of the beach so you can't miss it. The corridor is an open air area with a roof connecting the two buildings.

POSTED: 5/20/09 10:22 AM

Thanks Tuan!

New plan: meet at 8 am at the corridor connecting the men's and ladies' showers. If you get there late and see a bunch bright caps bobbing out in the water, come join us.

Anyone want to carpool?

Jelena    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 5/20/09 10:31 AM

Tammy, I would need a ride so I could take a cab over to Shirlington and go with you (if you're driving of course). Please email me at jberberovic@yahoo.com so we can exchange info, if this works for you. Also, do you plan on biking afterwards?

gardengirl's ravatar gardengirl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 119
POSTED: 5/20/09 6:23 PM

This sounds like a good way to start the day. I live on Capitol Hill and have a very small car that can fit two other people. The second passenger may have to sit sideways in the back.

I won't stay for biking, but am happy to share my car.

Malissa
malissazimmerman@hotmail.com

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 5/21/09 10:17 AM

gardengirl (sorry i don't know your name) I would be interested in carpooling - either driving or riding with you. I have a Pontiac Vibe that can fit 3 other people just fine. I'm not biking afterwards but will want to get as much swimming in as possible then get back to DC. I live in SW DC by the waterfront metro. Feel free to email me offline to coordinate
eajacobs15 at yahoo dot com

thanks
Emily

gardengirl's ravatar gardengirl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 119
POSTED: 5/21/09 10:38 AM

Emily,
I edited my post with my name. Carpooling or sharing would be great. I live bythe Marine Barracks. Swimming sounds good. My email is malissazimmerman@hotmail.com. I'll be out Friday, but will check in later today.
Malissa

josephmacias    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 5/21/09 5:50 PM

I would love to join you guys. BUT is the OWS on Sun or Monday? The NTP eNews Says " May 25, (Su), 8:00am." May 25th is Monday and the post is for Monday. Wanted to make sure I was out there the correct day.

Also anyone coming from SW DC (Waterfront/Federal Center Metro Stations)? Carpool???

amiehwoods's ravatar amiehwoods    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 5/21/09 7:19 PM

This sounds great. I'm in!

POSTED: 5/21/09 7:50 PM

josphmacias - the swim at Sandy Point is Monday morning, 8 am. See you there!

lisarenee    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 5/22/09 8:29 AM

i am there!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria