Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Spinervals
CREATED: 12/04/09 by dctexan REPLIES: 3
dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
Spinervals
POSTED: 12/04/09 1:14 PM

I just got my first bike trainer and I was looking into Spinervals DVDs. Are those the way to go? Any suggestions?

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
RE: Spinervals
POSTED: 12/04/09 2:04 PM

You will come to hate Coach Troy but those are useful. Carmichael Training Systems has good DVDs also.

I tend to alternate because I don't want to do too many hard days in a row - or too many easy ones. I might watch a movie (yeah Netflix), usually on easier days. I might watch one of my many bike races on tape/DVD (I have over 120 hours of TDF on tape), usually on a day when I have an interval workout that I have created to do. I might watch a Spinerval or CTS DVD, usually when my last ride was easy but I've been too lazy to create my own interval workout or when I'm out of Netflix.

BTW, I have done hard workouts with movies/TV - I might do a fartlek type workout where I go hard/easy by scene or a spin-up workout with the same type of approach. I've also found the bike race DVDs can be good - I might find myself sprinting with them or increasing my effort while watching a climb. And I'm more likely to stay on the trainer because I'd feel guilty getting off before they do.

Another tip - you might want to set up a fan near your trainer.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 12/04/09 8:59 PM

Spinervals good stuff basically an at home spin class geared toward cyclists. Is it the best out there? Who knows if you find sometning better tell us afterall remember you are riding a bike indoors in place it's boring no matter what you do

KMierke    JOINED: 3/11/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 12/05/09 4:52 PM

Triathletes Training Bible author Joe Friel and local coach Adam Coon produced an indoor trainer series similar to Spinervals but with a much more scientific approach (Training Bible methods).

Endurance Films produced their Rides series of DVDs which bring you along on rides with famous pro cyclists and triathletes in the mountains of Colorado, California, and North Carolina. Follow the instructions ... shift to a harder gear and try to hang with the pros up a steep hill while looking down at the scenery in the valley (instead of your living room floor).

All are available through a merchant partner at www.FitnessWerx.com and the promotion code DCTri provides a 20% discount.

I have an article I wrote for Inside Triathlon about indoor trainer workouts that I'll be happy to send to anyone who requests it by emailing Info@Fitness-Concepts.com

Ken

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria