Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Luray Roll Call
CREATED: 07/08/09 by bcfrank REPLIES: 46
bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 966
Luray Roll Call
POSTED: 7/08/09 2:53 PM

Since the race is just over a month away, I thought I'd post a roll call for the race and see how many DCTri people are heading out Luray, VA for the race.

I know the Oly is on Saturday and the Sprint is on Sunday.

I am in for the Oly. Driving up on Friday after work and then heading out shortly after the race on Saturday to go to North East. Still looking at the room situation in Luray, so I haven't booked anything yet.

Bryan

jerrys's ravatar jerrys    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
RE: Luray Roll Call
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:08 PM

Bryan:
I signed up for the sprint at Luray. I was too late to sign up for Northeast. Last year Luray was a very nice race, clean water, well-run, nice setting.
Jerry

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 206
POSTED: 7/08/09 9:36 PM

Bryan, I'm as of now doing the international. I'm getting back from Prague the week before so I might have to switch to sprint at the last second depending on how much training I do there.

I have a room booked for myself, but 2 beds.

stevepowell's ravatar stevepowell    JOINED: 3/31/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 7/08/09 10:03 PM

Thinking of doing the Oly. What is the story on wetsuits in the swim? Is the water too warm for wetsuits? If you can use wetsuits, do you think the torso suits are best or do you recommend the full body suits?

rnigro's ravatar rnigro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 7/08/09 10:14 PM

I am doing the sprint. It should be fun :)

DSmith's ravatar DSmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 7/08/09 11:37 PM

I'm in for the sprint! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
POSTED: 7/09/09 12:04 PM

I'm in for the Oly.

lotus975    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 7/09/09 12:32 PM

hey everyone,
i am considering doing the Luray Oly since was "shut out" of NE MD because of my own procrastination! I am volunteering at NE so I was wondering if anyone was willing to carpool to Luray then head over to Northeast, MD. I live in cleveland park. Thanks!
jotika

manuelarenata's ravatar manuelarenata    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/20/09 12:06 PM

I'm registered for the OLY in Luray. If there's a group of us, it would be nice to coordinate and stay in the same hotel. Who else is doing this race? What are your plans?

Renata

ashleynellis1's ravatar ashleynellis1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 7/20/09 12:07 PM

`

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 206
POSTED: 7/20/09 12:54 PM

i actually just switched from oly to sprint, since i will have returned from europe just 5 days prior. i think i am staying at the days inn at luray... anyone else? i have a room with two beds, if anyone wants to split

POSTED: 7/20/09 1:17 PM

I was looking at the Days Inn as well. I haven't reserved anything yet (I should probably get on that), but I'm just going to be there Friday night. I have to leave right after the race on Saturday to get out to North East for packet pickup.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 7/20/09 3:10 PM

thinking about doing the sprint... someone earlier had asked about wetsuits - does anyone know whether wetsuits are necessary/allowed?

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 7/20/09 3:19 PM

I'm in for this one. Was thinking about camping.

POSTED: 7/20/09 3:26 PM

I think last year, people said they were wearing wetsuits. I was looking at the two upcoming clinics held in Dry Run Lake (both in early August) and one says water temp is expected to be in the low 70s while the other one says it's expected to be in the low 80s.

I think I'm going with the low 70s as accurate. So wetsuits should be allowed. Whether you want to wear a wetsuit is up to you. :)

jerrys's ravatar jerrys    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 7/20/09 9:27 PM

Hey . . . Nick?,
I have signed up for the Luray Sprint (Sunday) but have not yet made arrangements for sleeping over Saturday evening. I'd definitely split a room at the Days Inn with you. Just write to me at jsemasek@alumni.temple.edu or call 703-528-1866 to confirm that it's a deal.

I did Luray last August and recall that the race started a bit later than many, something like 8:30ish or 9:00, at least for my wave. I was initially of just driving out early in the morning on Sunday, if the race starts at 8:30 or later. But on balance, sleeping over is much more civilized. I have to go to the website and see when it starts. Plus, last year the water was definitely warm enough for no wetsuits, but last year, as we know, was a hotter summer than what we have had.
Jerry

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 7/21/09 7:54 AM

In for the oly (and contemplating adding the sprint...). I did this race last year and definitely wore my wetsuit (it was the first time I ever used it in a race). It was easily the most fun race I did last year (during the race at least... NJ weekend was overall more fun, but I was miserable on the run), but that may be because it was the shortest, also. Driving up race morning is certainly doable, although that means it will be an early morning. Looking forward to it!

Ryan

stevepowell's ravatar stevepowell    JOINED: 3/31/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 7/21/09 11:16 AM

Jerry:

I think I'm going down early Saturday morning for the Oly at Luray and then driving back that same day. Maybe I'll see you there if you arrive on Saturday for the Sprint event the next day. Meanwhile, see you at Hains Point.

POSTED: 7/23/09 11:44 AM

if anyone is looking for a room for Friday night (to race the Oly on Saturday), I have a room with two double beds at The Cardinal Inn. It's no Days Inn, but it's got beds, a fridge, and an "exotic view of Shenandoah Mountain." The motel is about a mile from packet pickup and less than 5 miles from the race site. And it's only $85 plus tax for the night. To look at Shenandoah Mountain costs about that much, so that's like sleeping and getting an exotic angle for free.

Carpooling with me might be difficult because I have to book shortly after the race and head out to NorthEast for packet pickup.

You can hit me up at bcfrank1 at gmail.com or here on the forum.

Bryan

cortrig7's ravatar cortrig7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/23/09 3:18 PM

I would really like to get a sprint in before the Nation's Tri. I have not done any others this season. Luray looks pretty convenient. If any of you have done the sprint before and recommend it to an intermediate level, relatively novice triathlete (I've done 2 sprints) and wants to share a ride and a room, I will sign up. Can anyone help tip me over this wall? :D

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria