Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Champion Systems Gear: We want your feedback
CREATED: 09/12/12 by ballstoncyclist REPLIES: 32
ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
Champion Systems Gear: We want your feedback
POSTED: 9/12/12 4:29 PM

The Club has been using Champion System for racing and training gear for the last few years. We want to know what you think about the quality, fit, durability, and look of the items you own and the service you've received. We are interested in positive and negative feedback. If you disagree with someone's comment please be let us know but keep the conversation cordial.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
RE: Champion Systems Gear: We want your feedback
POSTED: 9/12/12 8:31 PM

A general comment: the delivery of items seems to have speeded up.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 9/12/12 8:46 PM

I've got two tri suits (med and large) and a tri top.

I find the fit of the tri suits to be pretty bad for me. Short legs that are cut weird so fabric bunches up and give me some bad chafing. Can't use it again. They also show it as a rear zip, which is why I bought the 2nd one a few weeks ago. It isn't, it's the same front zip suit as the one I already had.

The tri top fits well, but the CS logo part of the zipper broke after a few uses so it's hard to get up and down. It was also part of the older orders that had really faded colors.

So overall, I'm not very impressed. The individual CS shop is a really nice feature instead of waiting for the bulk buy though.

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 9/12/12 9:06 PM

I wish the bike jerseys had the grippy stuff at the bottom.

I accidentally ordered bike shorts instead of bibs for training. They stink. Fit, chamois chafes my leg for >60mi rides.

For racing, I've got the ITU (rear zip) suit which works fine.

The rest of the training apparel (bibs, jerseys, jacket, etc.) I could really take it or leave it. I don't really like it, but don't hate it either.

POSTED: 9/12/12 9:39 PM

I had a similar experience to Brian's. I ordered a tri top based on the picture and I got a completely different top. I emailed them and their response was "the club is ordering the basic tri top, not our distance model, which is what the page shows. That is incorrect, and should be fixed in the next few days."

However, no offer for a refund, or a replacement, or anything. I am not impressed with their customer service.

I like the bibs. The tri shorts are just OK, the stitching is rough and rubs me the wrong way. The bike shirt is baggy and the elastic in the bottom part makes the fit weird, it pulls up.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 364
POSTED: 9/12/12 9:52 PM

The only reason why I race in CS is because it's my only option for tri gear that has the DC Tri logo. If the club is thinking about switching vendors, I vote YES!

I raced with the woman's tri bottoms once, and I will never race in them again. I don't think I've ever had soo many chafing issues as I did with those bottoms.

The woman's tri tops are cut short - even for me, and I have a short torso.

I do have to say that both are pretty durable though and the color hasn't faded too much after 2 years of wear.

I'm also not a fan of the woman's bike jersey. The material is a bit scratchy on me.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 9/12/12 9:59 PM

I have a soft delicate ass. The bike shorts does not have enough padding for my soft delicate ass when it comes to riding long distances ... like training or racing IM distances. Shorter rides, yes. Going 70+ miles, I wouldn't touch it.

I have a pair of Sugoi and DeSoto bike shorts. My soft delicate ass like those, but they are also a lot more expensive. I don't mind paying more for high quality stuff to protect my ass. My ass is very important to me. I also have skinny feminine legs. The CS bike shorts is very loose on my thigh. I do not have this issue with the Sugoi or Desoto.

The short sleeve bike jersey, I like. The long sleeve bike jersey is awesome. It's the only bike jersey that I wear during the colder months. It has a pretty nice inner lining for warmth and sweat wick-away.

The leg warmers work well. I wear them all the time when it gets a little bit colder. The bike gloves is low quality as far as protection is concerned, when compared to some of the other bike gloves that are in my closet. I'd only wear them for shorter distance rides (30 miles or less).

Now let's get back to my soft delicate ass

Tuan

Pashigian's ravatar Pashigian    JOINED: 3/11/11    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 9/12/12 10:28 PM

I like the tri-top and short-sleeve bike jersey. Really impressed with the color durability and I like the material. I can't speak to the shorts/bibs/bike shorts - I stick to my preferred bottoms after trying a number of different brands.

jbauer    JOINED: 1/1/11    POSTS: 75
POSTED: 9/12/12 11:04 PM

I have the distance tri top (no longer available on the CS site) and the tri shorts so my feedback will be limited to these two items.

I was part of a group order, and I didn't mind waiting. However, having the online shop for individual orders is nice. I'm satisfied with the look of the tri top and tri shorts. It's easy to pick out teammates at races, and I don't recall getting our colors/design confused with others. I haven't noticed the colors fading on my top or shorts after wearing them for two seasons (less than 10 races).

I give the tri top a C grade. It passes but could use improvement in durability and length. I've noticed a loss in elasticity this year. It absolutely needs to be longer for me, but otherwise the fit is good.

The tri shorts get a C also. I'd give them a much better grade if the stitching wasn't a bit rough. Chafing is a problem for me with these shorts, but I haven't found any bike shorts yet that won't chafe on 50+ mile rides.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 9/13/12 7:13 AM

I've got the tri top and short sleeve jersey. Both are adequate for racing and training, but I can't say I'm in love with either; they were purchased because that was the team option. After going through numerous bib shorts and tri shorts, I'm not interesting in trying new products; I'll stick to what I know works for me. I like the individual ordering option, but the lead time was pretty long. It took 4 weeks for my tri top and six for the jersey. However, Evan from CS did managed to grab my tri top and get it in the mail prior to my first 'A' race of the year. He was pretty good about answering emails and keeping me up to date on the shipping status.

singingjo's ravatar singingjo    JOINED: 1/31/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 9/13/12 7:47 AM

I would honestly love for us to find a new gear vendor. I only have the womens tri top but I can barely stand to wear it. It constantly rides up when I'm running, and I am always pulling it back down. I have tried everything to try to keep it down and nothing works. I also would much prefer a top with at least some built in support. I love wearing club colors but I never want to wear that darn top.

barbara's ravatar barbara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 9/13/12 8:09 AM

First, I appreciate being able to order DC tri logo stuff -- thanks for the work on setting that up.

However . . . I dislike the Champion tri top and shorts pretty intensely. They are hot and rubbery and the shorts are too long (contributing to the hot feeling).

Please, please bring back the Sugoi option. I've raced in my DC tri Sugoi tri top and shorts for five seasons -- very cool, comfortable, lots of give, nice wicking material, stretchy and yet supportive, durable. I love them and only sought to replace them because they look a little frazzled at this point.

I doubt I will ever wear the Champion stuff even for training, so while it is cheaper than Sugoi it is not a good deal for me. :)

The group order spring and fall was a little inconvenient to wait for but well worth the wait to get Sugoi!

Thank you for asking. :)

Barbara

dsdiver09's ravatar dsdiver09    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 9/13/12 8:58 AM

I have quite a few items and I have to say that each one has its issues, but overall the colors/ logo lasts and looks good and I think quality of materials is good.
The women's tri top definately needs built in support and they are generally too short on everyone, yet if you go one size up they are too big on the top and running is not suggested, if you know what I mean.
The women's bike jersey arm holes are quite small for non-stick armed triathletes. But I do like this item the best out of everything. Good length and fit other than the tight arms.
The women's bibs leave a lot to be desired, they are much too long and the legs taper down too much with really uncomfortable grip at the bottom. That chamois is not good for long >70 rides at all either.
The cycling jacket is great, but I had to take a gamble on the size and still wonder if the smaller one would have fit.
Bike gloves are the best I have ever owned and true to size, but err on the side of smaller than bigger when ordering.
My overall comments can sum up to the fact that it is very difficult to figure out what size to order of anything individually. Their sizing charts were not helpful whatsoever and never turned out to reflect the acutal product size. Maybe having a sizing kit available at all the club events would help sell more and result in happier end-users throughout the year? Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 9/13/12 9:47 AM

I have the tri top and bottoms. I don't train in them, only race. After two Sprint's and one Oly my impression has formed.

The tri top is a touch short or I have a long upper body, it is a bit short and/or rides up while running. If I wasn't in such good shape I might care (kidding, kinda). Also, it exposes my lower back while riding. It is a Large and I am "only" 5' 11".

The tri shorts have been fine for the Sprint races but I got the worst chaffing ever during Nation's last weekend. See! *shows crowd* I won't wear them again for anything but a Sprint.

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 9/13/12 9:54 AM

I upgraded to the dri-fit t-shirt when I renewed because I like mine from 2010 so much. I'm a small person so I ordered a Women's small, which would pretty much only fit an 8 year old girl. They were great and exchanged it to a W-Med for me, but it's still pretty small and really tight in the arms.

kristoferkitto's ravatar kristoferkitto    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 59
POSTED: 9/13/12 10:01 AM

My men's tri top is too short for me.

My men's tri shorts are too short for me.

It'd be great to have sizing options for taller people.

I also have the bike shorts and jersey, and I have no major complaints with those.

POSTED: 9/13/12 10:04 AM

@Lauren: just so we are on the same page, the dry-fit shirts are not from Champ Sys. Only the kits (tri shorts/shirt, cycling gear) comes from them. And I agree with you that the Club's dri-fit t-shirt is awesome and they are back for sale at the SHOP

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 9/13/12 10:05 AM

Oooh, I didn't realize that. I thought they were all Champion. Thanks.

Lance140pt6    JOINED: 12/2/11    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 9/14/12 12:53 PM

Two questions:

1) when is the determination going to be made to make a switch?

2) If a switch is made, is it anticipated that uniforms will go through some form of design change?

I hate Champion Systems fwiw, but I'm sitting on the fence whether to buy something for an upcoming race in October. Thinking I'm just going to wait as it seems the overall opinion is that Champion is not getting it done.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 9/14/12 1:47 PM

I like the Champion Systems gear over the old kit. A big plus is that they offer XS in men's sizes.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria