Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Champion Systems Gear: We want your feedback
CREATED: 09/12/12 by ballstoncyclist REPLIES: 32
asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 204
RE: Champion Systems Gear: We want your feedback
POSTED: 9/14/12 3:25 PM

I like nearly everything they make that I've worn.

ESPECIALLY THE SOCKS, easily. Love them, they're the BEST.

HMMM, what don't I like? Not a big fan of the bike gloves. Kinda smallish even on my skinny little hands. AND if you get the velcro snared on the back of the glove? Forget about it, you got loose fabric and it looks plain ugly.

But they have good stuff otherwise. And a great company name.

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 111
POSTED: 9/14/12 4:44 PM

Although I have yet to purchase a club tri kit (I've been a member for less than a month), I did have some experience with Championship Systems Gear in my old club (UBC tri club based in Vancouver). It was not too shabby but like many other posters have pointed out, the stitches do chafe, especially during long course tris.

My old club has since switched to Sugoi as the sponsor/manufacturer, and I personally contest the Sugoi kits are noticeably better. No chafing (assuming you generously applied chamois cream), and the fabric quality is overall better.

If our club switches to Sugoi, DeSoto, or Pearl Izumi, I will be definitely getting a full cycling kit and probably also (yet another) tri kit.

-Johnson

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 9/14/12 4:46 PM

The bike shorts are the best bike shorts I have ever owned, the tri-shorts are the worst of the three pairs of Tri-shorts I own although they do look the best, and have better pockets than the two types of Pearl Izumi shorts I have.

My biggest complaint is that there is no where in the area we can go to try on the items and figure out sizing. Sizing for all of the gear is so random that you really want to try it on before investing that much money in it. Sure you can always sell it on the forum, but that's often weeks later and timing might be tight before your race.

That said for the bike shorts alone I would suggest sticking with them, or at least giving advanced notice before we switch vendors so I can buy a couple of extra pairs before we change.

-Mark

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 9/19/12 7:50 AM

I am not particularly tall and the tri top still seems short. I definitely got a sun burn on my lower back a few times.

There prices are reasonable and their ordering system is soo much better than other companies. Back when the club used louis garneau and later Sugoi and Hinccapie it would take several months to place an order, the gear was often delayed and we had to hit minimums for each type of gear. I like the old gear quality more than Champion Systems but given the speed and the low minimums for a group order Champion Systems seems like a winner. It might be cool if the club offered another brand once or twice a year.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 9/19/12 8:27 AM

tri top is way too short, even the long distance one that was supposed to be longer.

bike shorts are too tight at the tapered bottom, after a long ride the grippy stuff makes me feel like I put my thigh through a zipper...

SBsteph's ravatar SBsteph    JOINED: 1/24/11    POSTS: 82
POSTED: 9/19/12 10:14 AM

I have the CS tri top, and bought it to support and identify with the club. I would not have bought this particular brand off the rack. No internal support, and the material is rubbery (doesn't seem to wick or dry particularly well). I also had to go a size bigger for length. I'll continue to wear it for races, but would be interested in pursuing other brands. Thanks for the chance to comment!

clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 9/20/12 11:44 AM

the tri shorts are total crap. i used them for the first time in a 1/2 IM, and had chafing where all the stitching was, including around the tush pad.

the tri shirt works just fine.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 428
POSTED: 9/20/12 12:06 PM

I second most of what's been said here about the tri gear (i.e., specifically the two piece tri top and bottoms).

-->I have both the older "pink" version with the longer edition of the tri shorts (since the standard ones were too short) as well as newer "red" version with the endurance shorts.
-->The older version of the tri shorts were actually better as I've had HORRIBLE chafing when forgetting to apply Body Glide to the "area" - so bad that it hurt taking a shower (you all know what I mean).
-->I also have tri shorts by Orca (best), 2XU (2nd best), Sugoi (not bad), LG (older version, okay) and DeSoto (not great, but older version), and I would probably say that the ChapSys are the worse, neck and neck with the DeSoto, mostly because of comfort and the chaffing issues.
--> Bike gear (i.e., bib shorts, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve fleece, wind vest) all get the job done and I'd give them probably a 3.5/4 out of 5. I have some LG bibs that are better, but I'm content with the Chap bike gear especially due to the ordering convenience

-Brady

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 235
POSTED: 9/20/12 1:03 PM

Not a fan of the current lineup. Would much prefer another company, even if we need to switch to two different companies (one for cycling, one for tri). Voler and Sugoi have gotten much better with their systems. Voler supplies NCVC and has no problems, we use Sugoi for our Foundation teams and never have a problem. Minimum orders at 12-25 pieces, so never had to satisfy with a team as large as DC Tri.

jrbruck's ravatar jrbruck    JOINED: 8/1/11    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 9/20/12 2:15 PM

Maybe it's my body proportion, but the tri top (men's M) is exactly the fit I want. The tri shorts seemed to get the job done for an Oly length race as well. It was TERRIFIC how items were able to be expedited prior to Nation's!

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 9/20/12 5:31 PM

I only have two pieces of Champion club gear - the tri-top and armwarmers. I find the fabric neither insulating nor wicking, and so uncomfortable for both warm and cold weather races. This means that I race in my tech t-shirt or my Hincapie club bike jersey from a few years ago. When the samples come in, I always look at them, but don't find them attractive. I would much rather prefer using Sugoi, even if it means that the gear will be more expensive -- the quality is worth it to me. (I don't have any experience with Voler, but the NCVC kit looks good.) I use DeSoto for my tri-suits, so if we got a group order with them, I'd be in on that as well.

DrWales's ravatar DrWales    JOINED: 1/4/10    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 9/20/12 6:17 PM

I have the tri shorts and the sleeveless bike jersey. The shorts are OK, not as comfortable as my favourite pair of Zoots or my other Sugoi's, but I've done Savageman twice in them with no complaints.

The jersey is serviceable.

The tri tops, on the other hand, do not work for me at all. The L would fit my chest, but with too much loose fabric around the waist and gaping at the arm holes. Not sure what body proportion they are cut for.

I would vote for changing vendors.

Bob

PS: I inadvertently first tried on a Womens L in the 'fit kit' which fit better, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it...

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 9/25/12 12:55 PM

All: we are looking for gear testers. More info here
http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=E56DD1F6-D13D-DFDC-B7C3D83C2DD9392A&page=1

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria