Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New to this...help?
CREATED: 05/02/10 by Joforit REPLIES: 10
Joforit    JOINED: 5/2/10    POSTS: 4
New to this...help?
POSTED: 5/02/10 10:38 PM

I've never done a triathlon, but have always wanted to. I ran cross country in college and still run, but only avg about 20-30 miles a week. Anyone know of a good beginners group I could join??

Thanks!
Joanna

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
RE: New to this...help?
POSTED: 5/02/10 10:56 PM

First off, welcome.

If you're willing to wait a while before you do your first triathlon, we have a New Triathlete Program here that we put on every year. It begins in January/February with the goal race typically in June/July. We're in the middle of the program right now (actually approaching the end) and the current members could speak for whether they're liking the program or not. I just pretend that they do 'cause that makes me feel better. :) So if you're willing to bide some time first, you can join next year's program.

Other that, I think some of the other local clubs have beginner groups, but cannot speak on how good they are.

Bryan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 5/03/10 9:48 AM

if you haven't signed up for a race yet - hurry - most local races are full or filling up fast. There is one run by R. Vigorito ("Vig") at the end of June - sprint race - which would be a good first race- Celebration Sprint -

http://new.tricolumbia.org/Sprint/

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 5/03/10 10:12 AM

DC Tri has three practice tris every summer (June/Jul/Aug) out of Haines Point. It's an excellent race not only for beginners but also a good opportunity to socialize with fellow club members since there is always a cookout afterwards. It'll be posted in the forum and in the newsletters when registration opens up. They sell out quick so you will need to act quickly.

As far as training groups are concerned, the vast majority of them have already begun so you are a bit late to the party. The only one that I can think of is perhaps Team in Training for the Nations Triathlon. However, there are informal swim, bike, and run groups forming on an adhoc basis all the time. Just look for them in the forum.

I would be a horrible person if I didn't put in a shameless plug for the $5 PeasantMan Triathlon that will be attend by more than 100 DCTri club members. It's practice event so there is no pressure of competition or knowing what the heck that you are doing.

Tuan

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 5/03/10 12:24 PM

Hi Joanna,

If you would like to join a coached training program for females with a fall goal race, please look into Team Lipstick. The training program for Nation's Triathlon will start in the end of June. Here is some information:

A new, all-female triathlon team is coming to DC. I'm coaching run/bike sessions. Every training session has at least 1 or 2 EXPERIENCED coaches. The team trains together at every session (swim, bike, run, and strength).

So feel free to send questions to me (kildaylisa at yahoo.com) or to Laura, the director. Or come to one of our workout/info sessions.

TEAM LIPSTICK is coming to Washington D.C. !!

Train For Your First Triathlon

Have you ever aspired to participate in a triathlon? With smart and structured training, anyone can do it. And with a fun, positive experience, you will be hooked as triathlon becomes a lifestyle. Team Lipstick is NYC’s largest and most successful all-female triathlon team. The fall session is a 12-week program starting in JUNE in Washington D.C. , geared towards the beginner triathlete. The program is extremely detailed and comprehensive, with 6 coached training sessions per week, 10 lectures, 2 open water swims, a weekend training camp, and lots of personal attention.

Laura Cozik is the Founder and CEO of Team Lipstick, NYC’s largest and most successful all-female triathlon team. She is also the Athletic Director for CNN’s Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge, a USA Triathlon Level 1 Coach and a USA Cycling Level 3 Coach. Together with D.C. experts in the multi-sport industry, Laura intends to launch the most comprehensive program of the highest quality for triathlon first timers in the Washington D.C. area.

This training program is in preparation for The Nation's Tri, an Olympic distance race on September 12, 2010, that is ultra friendly and FUN! Get ready to “Get Racy!”

For more information, please contact:

Laura Cozik
laura@teamlipstick.com / www.teamlipstick.com
(the website needs maintenance)

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 5/03/10 2:53 PM

Joanna,

There are great ways to get involved and you're not too late to the game. There are several low key beginner friendly races that are fairly accessible from a cost and geographic sense. The Luray Triathlon in Luray VA offers a sprint and Olympic distance (Oly on Saturday, sprint on Sunday), lake swim, challenging bike course and an out and back run.

While the DC Tri Club does have an NTP that is half way completed, it is still possible to join non-NTP training rides and runs and participate in some group swims (there are several masters groups in the area if you're looking for a more formal setting). Other races like Luray are accessible on http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=events&series=vts

POSTED: 5/03/10 10:08 PM

Wow, thank you all for the inside scoop! This is very helpful!! Can't wait to get started! :)

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 952
POSTED: 5/03/10 10:12 PM

Hey Tuan,

you should trademark the phrase "shameless plug" because I think it has taken on a whole new meaning in your lexicon. ;)

POSTED: 5/03/10 10:26 PM

Aw I just tried to register for the PeasantMan and it said the caps been reached :( Must be popular!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 5/03/10 10:35 PM

Joanna,

Community slots are still available for $25. My contact info as well as community slots info are at the bottom of thread in the link that I provided above or just drop me an email at number55555@yahoo.com :)

We have about 170 people who have signed up so we had to cut off the regular registration at some point :)

Tuan

POSTED: 5/03/10 10:38 PM

Just emailed ya! Thanks Tuan!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria