Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Kinetic
CREATED: 03/31/09 by adilks REPLIES: 12
adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
Kinetic
POSTED: 3/31/09 12:32 PM

Who else is doing the Half Ironman and where are you staying?
I just signed up this morning.

-Angela

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: Kinetic
POSTED: 3/31/09 12:40 PM

I'm racing the half, but will likely drive down the morning of...but I could be persuaded otherwise.

Andy B.

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 3/31/09 1:28 PM

I am currently planning on using it as a tune-up, although it's still possible I may cancel since I am getting back from a conference late that week. I'm planning on driving down the day of, as we did last year. It's not a bad day to go down the morning of. We could coordinate car-pooling...

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 3/31/09 4:23 PM

I'm doing the half and staying overnight at the Ramada. I drove down the morning of for the sprint last year which was fine - but the half starts and hour and a half earlier than the sprint and that extra sleep time was worth $65.95 plus tax to me.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 3/31/09 4:32 PM

I'm definitely not interested in driving down the morning of. We would have to leave around 4am, Yikes!
I am also interested in sharing a room. I reserved one at a Best Western in Frederick but the Ramada is fine too.
Please email me if anyone wants to coordinate.

garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/31/09 5:03 PM

For those of you who are (or are considering) spending the night, take into account that 95 south is a parking lot every afternoon/evening, and especially Fridays. As a general matter if you aren't headed south from DC by around noon, you run the risk of a looong time in the car.

Good luck,
Gary

Tamara's ravatar Tamara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 5/04/09 9:33 AM

I haven't even done this yet and think the first line of my race report will be "Lesson #1 -- don't do an early season long-course event."

Anyway...does anyone have the elevation data for the Kinetic Half? I just spent 10min inputting the course into gmap pedomater only to have the webpage freeze on my when I hit "show elevation." I'm not driving down until Sat morning and haven't ridden the course yet (zina - why didn't we do a training ride there like we planned?).

thanks!

POSTED: 5/04/09 9:43 AM

Tamara - I second your lesson and would add "...unless you want to spend many a 3+ hour ride in 35-degree rain."

I was able to get gmap pedometer to work a few weeks ago to look at the elevation. It's rolling terrain and seemed similar to what I've been riding out in Mont. Co (Darnestown area). I did the sprint last year and remember that there weren't any enormous hills, just rollers. The steepest ones were pretty short.

The toughest part of the run course - in my memory at least - is the hill right out of transition, which we'll encounter three times. Joy.

POSTED: 5/04/09 10:10 AM

I agree with the "rolling" hill bike course assessment...and what goes up must come down!

Should be a good time. See you out there.

Andy

POSTED: 5/07/09 8:53 AM

I'm driving down around lunchtime on Friday from Silver Spring - anyone want to carpool? My driving buddy threw out her back and can't come anymore and company on the drive is nice, esp. after the race when you're very, very tired. If so, shoot me an e-mail.

Tamara's ravatar Tamara    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 5/10/09 10:44 AM

Great job out there yesterday, folks! Don't know about ya'll, but I definitely wasn't acclimated for the heat and humidity. This was the toughest race I've ever done, due to those conditions. I've never seen so much walking on a run course! I wasn't in my DC Tri gear, but was happy to see it out there.

POSTED: 5/10/09 6:08 PM

Ugh, those hills on the run were BRUTAL. I now know what I need to work on...

Way to finish strong everyone!

POSTED: 5/10/09 9:40 PM

The swim was fine, the bike was fine, the run was...yeah. After about a lap and a half in I realized that this run course was officially The Devil. Aside from that killer hill out of transition, the other hills weren't completely awful, they just went on forever and you had to run each one THREE FREAKIN' TIMES!

Two decisions I was lucky to have made as I rolled into T2: wear a water bottle around my waist and wear my sun visor (I thought it would protect me from the rain that was on the horizon - who knew the clouds would evaporate like that?). Like Tamara, I was struck by the number of people struggling. I was very, very humbled by everyone's effort on that run.

Congrats to all - I hope that this race was the kick-off to an awesome season of racing!

- Suzanne

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria