The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will temporarily close the Wilson Aquatic Center starting August 23, 2010, for approximately three weeks, to perform yearly maintenance and deep cleaning. The facility will re-open on September 14, 2010. The general scope includes:
• Remove and drain all pool water according to local or federal regulations.
• Acid wash pool shell.
• Clean all pool drains.
• Service and perform maintenance on moveable bulkheads.
• Purchase and install new lighting throughout the facility.
• Clean and seal all existing tile floors through-out the building.
• Check hydrostatic relief valves.
• Replace and recharge pool media for pool tanks.
• Install and clean pool lights and pool shell lights as needed.
• Pressure wash pool deck.
• Deep cleaning of offices, locker rooms and lobby area.
This shutdown is necessary to ensure that DPR can continue to provide a quality facility with conditions that will optimize the positive experiences of the residents of the District of Columbia.
To accommodate swimmers, DPR will offer expanded hours of operation at Francis Pool, 25th and N Street, NW (202)727-3285. Expanded hours will be Monday through Friday, 6:00am – 8:00pm and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00am – 6:00pm. 25 meter lap lanes available.
Lap swimmers that wish to utilize 50-meter lap lanes may visit East Potomac Pool, 900 Ohio Drive, SW (202)727-5623. Monday through Friday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm; Saturday and Sunday, 12:00pm - 6:00pm (Closed Wednesday).
maybe the construction will be finished when they're done?
Glad its going to be clean but it will be hard for me to not fall off the bandwagon with this....I'm too used to having such a fabulous facility in walking distance of my home!!
Oh no is right. The National Capital YMCA is also closed from August 23-30. I planned to use Wilson as a back up. Hopefully we have nice weather so we can use HP.
Come to Washington & Lee HS pool on Quincy. I love.
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, so thought I'd throw it up (not literally, Tuan...)
This past week DPR held a community meeting at the Wilson Aquatic Center, and announced the formal reestablishment of the Wilson Aquatic Center Advisory Group. The first meeting will be Wednesday, August 18 at 7PM, in the Community Room of the Center. The Advisory Group’s purpose will be to provide recommendations and community input to DPR, in an effort to help them run the facility efficiently and effectively. I hope that you consider taking part in these important community meetings.
The following meetings have been set for the Advisory Group meetings:
· Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 7PM
· Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 7PM
· Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 7PM
· Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 7PM
Mary M. Cheh
Councilmember for Ward 3
Council of the District of Columbia
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Suite 108
Washington, DC 20004
Tel: (202) 724-8062