Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Treadmill advice
CREATED: 03/25/13 by npleisch REPLIES: 7
npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
Treadmill advice
POSTED: 3/25/13 2:17 PM

Hey all... I'm looking at treadmills for my wife's birthday next month. I've never paid much attention to them cuz I prefer to run outside regardless of weather. But, having a treadmill in the house will give her more time at home with the new baby, since she already has to spend 1:30-2 hrs on the road everyday.

I'd like to spend around $1500 on the high end. The Nordictrack C1750 looks to be the best overall value at that cost right now... as far as the techie stuff you get with it, the quality of the track, durability, etc...

Before I go out and buy something, I wanted to see if anyone has a strong opinion one way or the other... maybe there's a treadmill expert out there... or maybe one of you know of a really good deal I can get somewhere...

Thanks for your input!

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 57
RE: Treadmill advice
POSTED: 3/25/13 3:27 PM

I unfortunately don't have any advice as to the types of treadmills out there, but I have seen a lot of treadmills (barely used) on Craigslist. Hopefully with advice on different models from other people, and perhaps looking at Consumer Reports too, you might be able to find a great deal on a good machine on Craigslist!

bobcroker    JOINED: 4/15/12    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 3/25/13 3:29 PM

I'd take a look at a Landice. They have models without too many bells and whistles but are very solidly constructed. Great feel and strong motors.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 3/26/13 11:19 AM

My wife and I recently (6 mo ago) bought a treadmill. We opted for the Spirit XT385, and bought from Leisure Fitness. Been happy with it. Our list of wants was 1. basic features w/o the touchscreen TV stuff, 2. durability + warranty, 3. <$2k. The feedback we got on NordicTrack and Sole weren't great in terms of customer service, so we looked at the "better" lines with better reputations, especially a local dealer we can go see. And honestly, we didn't like the "feel" of either NT or Sole, which we tried out at Sears.

It came down to LifeSpan vs. Spirit for us. Both were solid, Spirit just felt better. There are several trims that are about $100 apart in the $1500-2000 price range, so you should find what you want. Yes, that's a tad higher than your upper end, but that's the price point. There are higher end lines (Landice, Precor), but I think those begin well above your $$.

Keep in mind, this thing will likely breakdown at some point. Lots of moving parts, pounding, moisture. Find out by who/how your unit will be serviced.

If you want more info, PM me! -Jason

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 206
POSTED: 3/26/13 12:34 PM

I would combine the second and third posts. Go for a higher quality unit (fewer problems), used from Craigslist. This is one of those items that you can often get used, but pretty close to new condition. Like a gym membership, people often have the best of intentions when purchasing, but don't follow through, hence large supply of used units at attractive prices.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 3/26/13 2:06 PM

I disagree -- we did a good bit of searching for the good units on craigslist, etc. and found low-end units that were lightly used but 5+ years old and used as drying racks. That's not to say good ones can't be had, but you may have a devil of a time finding one. If you do, lucky you!

We found that most folks buying the good treadmills are runners, and they don't part with them.

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 3/26/13 4:26 PM

I would just advise caution when giving a woman exercise equipment for her birthday unless she very specifically asks for it. See every sitcom ever made for evidence of what could go wrong. :)

-Mark

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 134
POSTED: 3/26/13 4:35 PM

LOL Mark. Should I have stated that my wife is an Ironwoman? I think I'm safe. ;)

Thanks to everyone else for the advice. I'll peruse Craigslist, but as Karla eluded to, I'm skeptical. I don't mind paying for a new machine if I can be sure it'll hold up for a long time.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria