DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nation's Tri Parking Situation
CREATED: 09/07/12 by aanderson23 REPLIES: 4
aanderson23    JOINED: 7/28/12    POSTS: 1
Nation's Tri Parking Situation
POSTED: 9/07/12 6:10 PM

Nation's Tri Veterans,

This is my first year racing Nation's (and actually my first Olympic distance tri as well...yipee!). I'm wondering what the chances are that I am going to find a parking space in the lots near transition on Sunday. I'm planning to get there early, but would appreciate any insider knowledge from those that have raced Nation's before. Should I just plan to park at the hotel and take the shuttle? Any input is greatly appreciated!

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 360
RE: Nation's Tri Parking Situation
POSTED: 9/07/12 8:53 PM

If you get there right when transition opens, there are spots - at least last year there was.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 9/07/12 9:09 PM

A few things to remember:
1) The roads close at 6:00AM SHARP! Anytime after that, you will not be able to access any roads that are along the race course or accessed via the race course.
2) The monument parking lots are a great place to park (A, B, and C lots) as they are close to transition, but you will not get out of there until 2pm as that's when the roads re-open.
3) Something I've suggested to others is to park up in the Foggy Bottom area. It's just on the north side of the reflecting pool and monument area and it'll be easy to leave once you've finished as you have easy access to the freeways and routes north out of DC

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 346
POSTED: 9/07/12 11:31 PM

Second what bcfrank says about the A, B, and C lots being a good spot... probably the closest parking to transition. These lots are also good for any of the 5Ks & 10Ks at Hains Point year-round. Altho you cannot move your car until after the roads re-open, so you will be there until the final person finishes the race.

In the past, you have been able to get away with parking in the park police headquarters parking lot. Altho I'm not sure whether or not you're supposed to do this, as there are lots of signs up warning against it. Either way, I have not gotten a ticket there in the past, and I've always seen a ton of cars with bike racks and tri window stickers there.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 9/08/12 1:26 PM

Luke is right, the Park HQ lot is a hidden gem not advertised. I usually head straight there.

The easiest way to access it is to take the I-395 park exit and you'll get dumped right near it.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria