Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Pain/tightness in Upper Hamstring/Glute/Adductor
CREATED: 05/11/12 by simba2109 REPLIES: 2
simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 54
Pain/tightness in Upper Hamstring/Glute/Adductor
POSTED: 5/11/12 11:04 AM

I've been experiencing some pain in the upper hamstring and lower glute area (exactly where you hamstring meets your butt, including over to the adductor). It's only on one side, and I can feel it when I'm running, especially. It's not very painful and I can definitely run and bike through it. I do notice it more when I'm sitting at my desk at work all day. I've had it for about 4 weeks (I know, I know, I should have had it looked at sooner but I was in denial!). Hamstring stretches have helped, as well as foam rolling the hamstring and glute.

I have an appointment with a Sports Doc next week so I can start PT for whatever it is, but in the meantime, has anyone experienced this injury before? If so, advice on what to do--stretches, massage, etc.? Is it tight hip flexors? Weak glutes? I have a full race season and don't want to be sidelined long. Thanks!

-Bethany

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
RE: Pain/tightness in Upper Hamstring/Glute/Adductor
POSTED: 5/11/12 11:13 AM

Same problems. I use a lacrosse ball to massage the area while sitting at my desk. I also have one in my car for long drives. It seems to help.

vkanders    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 44
RE: Pain/tightness in Upper Hamstring/Glute/Adductor
POSTED: 5/11/12 1:32 PM

I had some very similar issues earlier this year, and by working closely with my PT, I didn't miss a single training session or race. The lacrosse/tennis ball trigger point work referenced above can help, as can glute strengthening and, in some cases, quad stretching. Your PT should be able to show you the best exercises and stretches to do.

If they offer dry needling, don't be scared of it. That's how I got healed up in no time.

Good luck! It's painful but can definitely be dealt with.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria