Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Prescription cycling glasses
CREATED: 05/20/09 by ballstoncyclist REPLIES: 15
ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
Prescription cycling glasses
POSTED: 5/20/09 5:54 PM

Any recommendations? Interchangeable lenses vs. inserts?

I guess I would like to keep the option of different color lenses.

Thanks in advance

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: Prescription cycling glasses
POSTED: 5/20/09 9:09 PM

if you want to get the ultimate, get oakley prescription sunglasses.

i personally have a prescritpion lense for my pro m-frame sunglesses and its really nice.

if you have the m-frames or other sunglass system put out by them that has interchangeable lenses then you can goto a local eyeglass store and have them order the prescription lenses for you.

the catch = like all oakley products they are a bit expensive, for m-frame lenses only, in prescription, they run around 200-300 for the lense only.

the good= when you get the lenses and put them in your glasses they are virtually indistinguishable from your normal oakleys, and have perfect clarity and they are your prescription, if you don't like these then there is nothing else out ther that is better.

the only other thing to know is that oakley will only make prescritpions up to a certain level, so if you need a really really really strong prescrition they may not make it, but you will have to call oakley to find out.

obviously what you give up is that you only can get one lense per prescription that being the case i would ask them if they do prescription in teh new transitions lenses, they might and if so that would be worth the money.

i have the vr50 lenses in prescrition they are very versatile for almost every light condition except at the extremes, meaning they are not optimal for really really really really bright days, or really really really really dark twighlight hours, but for everythign in between they can't be beat. they are the basis for the transition lenses that they make, meaing they get darker not lighter when transitioning... coincidence? i think not.

and no i dont work for oakley i just use their products alot.

good luck.

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 5/20/09 10:03 PM

Another good option is Rudy Project. They make a less expensive Rx frame insert that attaches to the sunglass and sits behind the lenses. Frames are ~$100 - $200, plus you buy the insert for ~ 50 and get your prescription filled anywhere you want. The plus is you can interchange the Rudy lenses at will with your one set of prescription lenses. I've had a pair for 3 or 4 years with two sets of lenses and love them. They give a USAT discount and I think we get a club discount as well.

LB

POSTED: 5/21/09 7:59 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I do see that Rudy is a DC tri partner but the link to get the discount is not working.

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 5/12/10 11:03 AM

just checking to see if anyone has any other/updated suggestions on prescription sunglasses. I just found out my prescription has changed considerably (which apparently happens when you don't go to the eye dr for 6 years) and I should be wearing prescription glasses on the bike. I looked into some oakleys at LensCrafters, but they're almost $500 when you add prescription lenses which seems a bit crazy especially considering how hard I am on sunglasses.

Anyone have any good ideas? Anyone been to Eyecentral in Eastern Market (they're listed as a merchant partner)?
thanks,

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 334
POSTED: 5/12/10 11:15 AM

Eye Central is a merchant partner? They are my eye dr and I like them.

But that doesn't really help in your prescription sunglasses issue.

zoom2zoom's ravatar zoom2zoom    JOINED: 5/5/10    POSTS: 72
POSTED: 5/12/10 11:22 AM

I just recently acquired an Adidas prescription cycling glasses from a local shop here in DC for $480. The glass is transition as I need use this sometimes at night.

Everything is fine, but you need to be aware of is that since the glass design is curved, it’s a bit different than looking from your standard eyewear. I can wear it for biking and running, but I don’t think I can wear it all day, it takes a bit to get adjusted to.

POSTED: 5/12/10 11:24 AM

yep, it says we get
* 15% discount on Rudy Project sunwear, helmets, and pacs
* 20% discount on ANY other Rx optical project lines in the office, excluding contact lenses and any other insurance covered items

I assume you wear contacts for biking? I'm having trouble with contacts literally blowing out of my eyes which is really annoying!

POSTED: 5/12/10 11:42 AM

I ended up getting the Rudy Project with the Rx insert. I love them.

I like having the Rx separated from the tainted lenses because it allows me to change the color of the tainted lenses depending on the weather w/o having multiple Rx lenses (which are not cheap). In addition, the Rx insert was covered by my vision insurance as one of my allowed annual frame+lenses.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 5/12/10 12:42 PM

I use Wiley X with transition lenses. You can order them from the website if you have the prescription. The website used to say 'Military Only' but I didn't have to prove anything.

POSTED: 5/12/10 5:47 PM

thanks guys, the Rx insert is an interesting option - I'm glad to hear you like it. And if I ever figure out how to keep contacts in my eyes, I can still use the sunglasses!

dhariag1's ravatar dhariag1    JOINED: 1/21/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 2/15/11 7:53 AM

Is there any way one can carry, your own glasses during the swimming event so that you have glasses to find your bike in the transition area?

Thanks.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 2/15/11 7:59 AM

Carrying your glasses might be difficult. A lot of times there will be a glasses drop-off table near where you get out of the water. In longer races, I'll wear disposable contacts while swimming and take them out when I get to my transition area and put on glasses.

POSTED: 2/15/11 8:04 AM

I use off-the-shelf prescription swim goggles and keep them on until I find my bike. I use Speedo Vanquisher Optical Goggles.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7789.htm

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 2/15/11 8:06 AM

Many races will have a table near the swim exit where you can leave your glasses prior to the swim and pick them up afterwards. I would suggest you contact the race that you are doing to find whether they will have one.

I wouldn't suggest you carry anything with you during the swim because there may be a lot of contact/activities in the water that may dislodge/damage your glasses without you knowing about it.

If you are helpless without your glasses, there are usually a lot of volunteers in the transition area. Grab one and tell them that you can't see without your glasses and ask that they help you locate your bike for you.

Tuan

dhariag1's ravatar dhariag1    JOINED: 1/21/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 2/15/11 12:50 PM

Thanks, everyone for the very useful information.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria