Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Member--Training for Irongirl Sprint in August
CREATED: 05/20/09 by juliemcdowell REPLIES: 17
juliemcdowell    JOINED: 5/13/09    POSTS: 19
New Member--Training for Irongirl Sprint in August
POSTED: 5/20/09 7:41 PM

Greetings...my name is Julie, live in Capitol Hill, and just joined the club to help me train for the Irongirl Sprint triathlon in August.
Does anyone have any suggestions on some good training rides/swims to start with for a newbie? I work from home--so my schedule is very flexible.

I've been a runner for years, done a half marathon, a few 10-milers, but never trained in groups, always on my own. I'm also on the slow side (10-10.5 minute miles), so I've always been anxious about doing any sort of group training, as I'm nervous about holding others back.

Any sort of help, direction anyone could give me would be very helpful! Thanks.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: New Member--Training for Irongirl Sprint in August
POSTED: 5/21/09 8:35 AM

Julie,

Checked the training option on the site. Give teh regularly scheduled swims, bikes and runs that a lot of the club memebers do.

POSTED: 5/21/09 9:06 AM

Right, I saw all of those training programs, but I'm guessing that in terms of someone new to tri's, some are more appropriate than others...

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 5/21/09 9:14 AM

There's a tradition of several groups of different speeds at Hains Pt. rides, Tu, Thur, 6:30 am. One group is very fast, others not as much. This is a good time of year for finding your pace partners there.

Cloudyindc    JOINED: 6/12/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/17/09 12:47 PM

Julie, just join the tri club but i will be doing the same IG sprint in Aug. Like you I am new to tri's but have always run. Have you made any of the workouts yet?

I am going to start next week. Let me know which are best for newbies....

claudia

drewpugh's ravatar drewpugh    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 6/17/09 1:44 PM

Hi Julie,

I live on CH also and my wife (also a tri club member and has a banner on this site) teaches EZ8 running classes (www.ez8dc.com) and has a free class this Friday at 5:45am. Just mentioning this because there are usually some tri-club members that attend, so that might be a good place to meet others that are close to your speed. Friday is also hill day, so everyone is going up and down CH along Constitution at their own pace... no worries about holding anyone back, that's for sure.

Personally, I'm going to try and make some of the T/Th morning bike sessions at Hanes Pt, I too will be part of the "not so fast" group. ;-)

-Drew

POSTED: 6/17/09 1:48 PM

Hi, Claudia...I haven't done any of the workouts yet, except for the training tri two weekends ago and it was great. The biking and running are about the same distance as the IG, and the swim was a little less than half the distance, and in the pool. Prior to this training tri, I had only done one bike-run brick, and it was really helpful to get a feel of transitions, etc. I definitely, definitely need to work on my swimming, that was apparent. I've heard that the Monday and Wednesday programs at Catholic University are really good, and I plan on doing that beginning next week.
I'm also going to check out the open water swim clinic on July 11, as I can't make the one this weekend. I think they are in Gunster Manor, Va., not sure where that is located?
There is also a Team Luna Chix ride in Arlington on July 15 that I plan on checking out: http://teamlunachix.com/dc_triathlon/event/contes_ride_with_team_luna_chix2.
Let me know which workouts/events you are planning on doing. Do you know of any training events for the IG?

POSTED: 6/17/09 1:50 PM

Thanks for the post, Drew, I might check that Friday session out--what will the class be focused on?

POSTED: 6/17/09 1:55 PM

Drew, I checked out that site and your wife's program might just be what I need, I've been forever stuck at a 10:30 min/mile pace. Where does this Friday's class meet?

POSTED: 6/17/09 2:00 PM

I just went for the first time to do the bike course in Columbia. There is a group that meets every Sunday at 9am at Princeton Sports (princetonsports.com) that does the course. They have supportive riders and a sag vehicle; and usually run a fast, medium, and slower group. The hills were killer for me.

If you ever want to carpool to the OWS let me know cloudyindc@gmail.com

claudia

POSTED: 6/17/09 2:06 PM

Hi Julie,

This Friday (free hill day), the focus is form, pacing, and just getting familiar with the class. The free classes are mostly attended by ladies that have gone through at least one 8-week session. Good place to meet others with similar interests; one of the cool things is that people end up forming their own little running groups outside of the EZ8 classes.

Overall, the full sessions are focused on getting you to a point where you can comfortably run an 8 minute mile by working on running form/efficiency and incorporating a variety of workouts and drills. Her success rate has been pretty high with some dropping from over 10 min/mile to under 8 min/mile during the session. She was going to post results on her site, but I don't know if that has been done yet.

She's running around this afternoon, but feel free to give her a call if you would like more info (Kathy 202-309-7508), since I'll probably confuse something if I keep typing. ;-)

-Drew

POSTED: 6/17/09 2:10 PM

Thanks, Drew...I'll give her a call--I'd like to attend on Friday morning.

POSTED: 6/17/09 2:11 PM

Will do, Claudia...I need to get out to Columbia--I've heard the course is a killer in terms of hills.

POSTED: 6/17/09 9:22 PM

Hi Julie,

You're welcome. Hope you can make it on Friday... say 'hi' to Kathy for me as I'll still be sleeping!

And the Columbia course has tons of hills. Nothing huge, but they just don't stop.

-Drew

POSTED: 6/18/09 10:02 AM

Claudia..I plan on doing the Princeton Sports/Columbia ride this Sunday--are you going to be there.

Drew, I'm assuming you mean you will have gone BACK to sleep after fixing your wife a hearty breakfast? :)

POSTED: 6/18/09 10:19 AM

test...this darn thing is not letting me reply

POSTED: 6/18/09 10:21 AM

hmmm let's try again...

I won't be there Sunday. But Drew is correct in saying that it is the hills that kill. The course seems so much longer b/c of them.

Claudia

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 6/18/09 10:52 AM

Just as a tip, as a beginner prepping for Columbia's hills, you might check out the Sat. morning rides from Cap Hill or Gtown up MacArthur Blvd toward Great Falls. It's always looking for riders of varying levels along with the very fast "A" group that regularly does it. The MacArthur hills would prep you for anything around IronGirl/Columbia, and and are an excellent way to train with pace groups or in more urban traffic. Another area close by is the W&OD trail, especially further west from Vienna or Reston where the stop signs are fewer. The long, steady climbs there, which are in a more controlled environment, would also ready you for anything the Columbia area has to offer. Finally, the Conte's Tuesday night ride in Ballston has a "C" group that does the long, rolling hills along Military Rd., which tho steeper mimick the Columbia's rolling climbs and descents.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria