Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Hanes Point - A.M. Masters Workouts
CREATED: 05/20/09 by nelsb7p0 REPLIES: 19
nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 429
Hanes Point - A.M. Masters Swim Workouts
POSTED: 5/20/09 9:47 PM

Does anyone know if / when the Hanes Point Masters Swim morning workouts are going to start back up? Haven't heard or seen anything posted yet.

janelkaye's ravatar janelkaye    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
RE: Hanes Point - A.M. Masters Workouts
POSTED: 6/01/09 5:24 PM

I got some info from a DC Masters team member. The practices have started (started last Tuesday - day after Memorial Day). Practices are 5:30-7 or 7-8:30, M-F. She advised me to just show up and talk to the coach, John Flanagan, at practice.

POSTED: 6/02/09 8:19 AM

Thanks Janel. Did you make it out there this morning?

I think that I'm going to shoot for Thursday.

-Brady

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 6/02/09 9:50 AM

The HP Masters last time I checked was $250+ from Memorial Day through Labor day....kinda steep....

kvb0805    JOINED: 5/18/09    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 6/02/09 10:00 AM

Yeah, price is definitely steep for the whole summer. But I contacted someone at the dc masters swim program to ask about a prorated fee if you don't plan on swimming 5 mornings a week. The woman told me that John charges $6.00 per day for a drop in fee. You don't have to be affiliated with a masters club/program to participate in the workouts, but she did mention that you need to be a member of USMS (for the insurance). I think that's only $25 for a membership through the rest of this year though.

Here's the other info I gathered:

Start Date: Tuesday, May 26th
There are 2 practices Monday - Friday
The early practice is from 5:30am - 7am
The late practice is from 7am - 8:30am (apparently less crowded than the first session)
The cost for the entire program is $305.00, which you pay via check to the coach John Flanagan
Make check payable to: MMSP
John Flanagan
2110 Salt Kettle Way
Reston, VA 20191

Not sure about how accurate all of this info is, so it's definitely worth stopping by to talk to the coach. Brady- Let me know what kind of info you can get if you go on Thursday. I'd also be curious to hear what their workouts are like.

-Kate

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 6/02/09 11:10 AM

I've started swimming w/ Flanagan. Workouts are 3500 m+. He'll evaluate you when you join and assign you to a lane.

It is $305 for this season until the first week of September. B/c of the new heater, they are looking to renew their contract until October and an additional fee will apply. So, maybe we can swim outside until 10/31.

edgarnett    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 6/02/09 2:16 PM

This sounds pretty interesting - particularly because I live right by Hains Point and it doesn't seem like the pool will be open to the public in the mornings. My question though: would this be appropriate for me as a NTP-er and a not very experienced swimmer?

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

POSTED: 6/02/09 5:52 PM

The info Kate posted is the info I got as well. However, in talking to John this morning, he said he didn't have a daily/drop-in rate, so not sure how accurate that is. (If someone else can verify the prorated fee, I'd appreciate it since I can't make it 5 days/week either.)

You can also just give the check to John at practice as well. He's looking at continuing it through September into early October - not sure how much he'll charge for that - maybe $40.

Ed, in regards to your question, I would certainly at least check it out. Masters practices are the best way to improve your swimming IMO. And long course pools are better for training for longer distances (i.e., open water swimming) than short course pools. If you can make the 7-8:30 practice, that might be preferable since there's more space, but there's less experienced swimmers at both.

Janel

POSTED: 6/08/09 9:13 AM

I finally got around to making the 5:30 am practice this morning. Definitely a good group and surprised so many people were out that early. One of the most organized masters workouts I've done for sure.

I showed my USMS ($37) card and paid the $6 drop in (and they didn't say anything about paying for the full season). You can register at http://www.usms.org/reg/ and select DC Tri as your club if you don't already have one.

All the info above is correct, 2 practices Monday - Friday from 5:30am - 7 am and 7 am - 8:30 am. The early practice was crowded, but with the 50 meter pool, backups in the lanes were not a problem.

A few things:
-Get there on time or early, I got there around 5:35 and the majority of people were already warming up. You can park in the golf parking lot.
-Go in the side gate on the other side of the golf club house (not where we enter for training tri, but to the left of the club house if you are facing it)
-Make sure that you get in the correct lane based on the time that you are comfortable doing 100 METERS (i.e. 1:30, 1:35,etc...) for the entire practice and keep in mind that it is based on meters and not yards. Also, it's a 50 meter pool so you don't get the extra push off every 25 yrd/mtrs. I would add about 5 - 10 seconds if you are used to swimming in a 25 yard pool. The lanes are broke up in 5 second increments and vary greatly (1:00 - 2:00 I believe).
-The pace may feel like it is slow at first, but once you get into the main sets it will quickly pick up. Keep in mind most have been doing masters for a while and can keep pace. I actually left after an hour because of a meeting, but was pretty tired out at that point.

Hope this helps and let me know if any one has questions. I highly recommend it for anyone trying to improve their swim leg.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: Hains Point - A.M. Masters Workouts
POSTED: 6/08/09 10:07 AM

Coach Flanagan said this morning that the swim practices are sold out/filled until August. HP opens during the week starting June 15 or 16.

kvb0805    JOINED: 5/18/09    POSTS: 13
POSTED: 6/08/09 10:18 AM

thanks for the info everyone...even the later AM practice is sold out?! i thought that one was usually less crowded.

POSTED: 6/08/09 10:37 AM

Yeah, the 2nd practice has way less people. I would double check on that. The 5:30 group is definitely a full pool, but it looks like there's only about half as many people in the pool at 7 when I leave.

I gave him a check this morning, so I guess that means I'm in for the summer. But I will say I'm contemplating moving to the later hour since the first hour is so full.

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 6/11/09 1:50 PM

Flanagan said he's accepting no more people for the summer last week. I don't know about this drop-in option. I would be prepared to be turned away. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On the other hand, I don't think many triathletes *like* swimming so maybe this is *good* news...

Also, he adjusts the distance and intervals by lane. So up at the top end you're doing around 5000 meters on fast intervals. In the less experienced lanes you get slower intervals and less distance.

POSTED: 6/11/09 2:19 PM

If you try to drop in, I think you might have more luck on T/Th than M/W/F. This morning he said there were 91 swimmers in the first practice yesterday (Wed). Tuesdays and Thursdays seem to be less crowded in the 1st workout.

POSTED: 6/17/09 11:56 AM

It looks like the DC Masters blog says no more swimmers currently accepted: link]http://dcmastersswim.blogspot.com/[/link] It also says there maybe room in August when people are likely to be on vacation/college students going back to school.

Also, Flanagan is looking to extend swimming for a month past Labor Day. He would have one practice time: 6-8am, so people could either start at 6 or 6:30. He's thinking of charging $35/40 - can't remember which.

julial    JOINED: 4/22/10    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 5/23/10 12:33 PM

Hey there -- anyone know if the Hains Point a.m. practices have started yet for this summer, and if they're accepting new swimmers?

thank you!

POSTED: 5/23/10 1:42 PM

Last I heard, practices were starting June 1st at HP.

POSTED: 6/02/10 4:14 PM

Anybody been out to the HP Masters workouts yet?

-Brady

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 362
POSTED: 6/02/10 4:46 PM

Yep, practices started. I went this morning. I was there with the 7am group, didn't look too crowded. Not sure if the 5:30 group is full, I think your best bet is just to show up if you're interested.

Pam

POSTED: 6/02/10 8:14 PM

I've been to the 5:30 practice the past two days. I don't think it's full yet. Though, FYI, it's starting at 5:20 instead of 5:30.

But definitely show up if you're interested and just talk to John.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria