Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Takoma Swimmers - any of you Masters there?
CREATED: 04/01/09 by HillOE REPLIES: 2
HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 77
Takoma Swimmers - any of you Masters there?
POSTED: 4/01/09 8:22 AM

Those who swim at Takoma do you do the Masters program?

Do you like it and find it helpful? I swam on teams thru HS, but, ya know, that was AGES ago and my technique has slipped. I was wondering if this masters program will help with technique or am I going to be windmilling it back and forth for 3000 yrds 3x a week and not see improvement.

I know swimming is the least "important" of the tri - but my technique is BAD. I do an open water swim and I know a good technique is the difference between last years time and a sub 3 hour time.

I ask because there is a HUGE difference in price between this and the CUBU masters. And yes I plan to do the clinic on Sunday!

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 77
RE: Takoma Swimmers - any of you Masters there?
POSTED: 4/01/09 8:23 AM

and could I say technique any more times in that post?!

TECHNIQUE!!!

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
RE: Takoma Swimmers - any of you Masters there?
POSTED: 4/01/09 3:46 PM

I don't swim with them but my team (DCAC) practices at the same time on Tuesdays and Thursdays. From what I've seen, they seem like a great group.

In my experience, the amount of instruction you get from Masters coaches varies from coach to coach and team to team. I've swam for coaches that scribble a workout on a white board and walk away as well as for coaches that will make every effort to give you as much personalized instruction as is possible given the fact that they have to run a whole practice with multiple swimmers, lanes, and paces. [But that last caveat is key - you're paying for a workout, not necessary one-on-one instruction. You'll get tips and advice but not an individual coach.] Most Masters programs will let you try out a few practices for free and you should be able to chat up the coach(es) before or after practice to explain your situation and ask if and how they are willing to help you. Finally, most coaches include a limited amount of drills in practices (and hopefully they explain the drills beforehand so that you can actually benefit from them).

If you've got the time and money, you might consider investing in a really good clinic. I've heard good things about Clay Britt's clinics:
http://www.claybrittswimming.com/clinicschedule.html

Then Masters practices can serve as a way to reinforce that training under the watch of a coach.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria