Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Question on DC Tri IM training programs
CREATED: 12/21/11 by Lance140pt6 REPLIES: 12
Lance140pt6    JOINED: 12/2/11    POSTS: 38
Question on DC Tri IM training programs
POSTED: 12/21/11 1:32 PM

This would be the first year I sign up for one of these programs (3rd IM overall though). Having just moved to the area about year ago, I'm looking for some other people to train with on the NOVA side.

How does this program work?
- is it a one size fits all plan that is emailed out weekly/monthly etc?
- are there a lot of group training sessions (specifically biking)?
- are these group training sessions held only on the DC side, or is there a NOVA group too?
- if so I'm assuming some sub-groups might form for specific races?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Lance

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1068
RE: Question on DC Tri IM training programs
POSTED: 12/21/11 2:15 PM

Hi Lance,

We are in the works for this year's program and making some improvements.

You will be provided with a training plan based on your athletic ability and background, clinics on various training topics will be offered and monthly group workouts will also be coordinated.

We are also planning to combine clinics/workouts with the Half IM program.

Sub-groups will be sort of naturally form depending on how many people are doing a given race but it's hard to predict exactly how it will breakdown until people sign up.

I participated in the program last year. I did much of the weekeday workouts on my own and then worked my longer workouts into the larger club group workouts. You'll find there will likely be a lot of people who will want to tag along with you if you post your workouts ahead of time.

I hope that helps. Which IM are you doing?

Travis

POSTED: 12/21/11 2:44 PM

Will be doing Louisville in August. Not tops on my list to do this year, but it's driveable, has super cheap hotels for an IM etc etc.

Working in McLean, living in Reston, makes getting into DC during the week extrememly tough. I'd love to do the Haines Point rides during the week, but I don't have access to a shower post workout before work!

Are there typically groups that form on both sides, NOVA and Dc or are the majority of the groups around the DC area?

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1068
POSTED: 12/21/11 3:15 PM

The majority of workouts are based in DC.

There is a good group of people in Arlington and the further out you get, the thinner it gets.

I would make a post looking for training partners out in Reston. There are people out there, you'll just have to look a little harder.

Also, if you can start organizing some rides/runs out there, people will begin to come out of the woodwork. It just takes a little consistency and determination. We've got a group going on MoCo and it would be great to keep expanding west into the NoVA 'burbs.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 12/21/11 3:27 PM

Lance, I live in Arlington and do my training all around. But my weekday workouts I always do on my own. It's easier that way.

Travis is right that many of the long workouts start in DC but as you know, once you get to the 100-mile bike ride you end up going everywhere.

I also agree with Travis that if you post here on the forum with a planned workout, you will probably find company in no time. It helps if you post a map of the suggested route. That always get people motivated.

POSTED: 12/21/11 3:36 PM

Thanks for the info.....even if the longer rides start in DC, that's an option on the weekends and somewhere different to ride or run. I just find a 100 mile bike a lot more fun if you're riding at least a portion of it with a group!!

POSTED: 12/21/11 3:36 PM

Thanks for the info.....even if the longer rides start in DC, that's an option on the weekends and somewhere different to ride or run. I just find a 100 mile bike a lot more fun if you're riding at least a portion of it with a group!!

gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 12/21/11 4:10 PM

I'm also planning on doing the IM program (I'm doing IM COZ), I live and work around McLean. I did the HIM last year and I ended up doing all my week workouts alone and going to some weekend workouts, for this next year I really want to do more of the group weekend rides. Lance if you are planning to do something around the area I'll be all in.

POSTED: 12/21/11 4:26 PM

Sounds good. I'll let you know. I'm actually hoping to do quite a few rides in and around McLean as it seems to be the hilliest of the areas up here (other than Skyline drive I guess).

Did you find that spending the money was worthwhile (assuming you did since you are signing up for the full this year).

jbauer    JOINED: 1/1/11    POSTS: 76
POSTED: 12/21/11 4:47 PM

I'll be signing up for the IM program (IM LP) this year too, and I'm on the NOVA side. McLean/Reston isn't very convenient for me though. Depending on my weekday schedule I might be able to hit some group workouts in various places. I'll definitely be looking for group workouts on the weekends.

gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 12/21/11 4:47 PM

I think it was worthwhile, in my case it was my second year as triathlete and the first (and later second) HIM's. I learned a lot of things thanks to it, I was able to ask specific questions to the coach and to meet a lot of people dealing with the same situations. This will be my first IM and I feel more confident following a program, the price is competitive and at the end some way or another we get that money back, so I see it as a win win. Your situation sounds different since you will be doing your 3rd IM but there are different levels on the training plan, maybe you can do the advanced or something.

ajm27's ravatar ajm27    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 12/22/11 2:06 PM

The most difficult part of IM training is getting to the starting line uninjured. Self trained athletes greatly increase their risk for injury particularly at this distance. If the IM Training Program allows you to complete the race (instead of sacrificing the race entry fee due to injury), I would say that it is worth every penny.

As we get more participants in this program from around the DC metro area, hopefully members will take the lead in organizing more group workouts in these areas. This will be a win win for everyone.

trimontana's ravatar trimontana    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 51
POSTED: 1/02/12 5:19 AM

I have a similar work situation: traveling a lot between Reston and McLean. After fighting that traffic, i would never consider going into DC on the weekdays.

But I live in Springfield, so I am always looking for people who train in Fairfax, Reston, Tyson's, Springfield, Annandale, or any other in the NOVA suburbs. What happened to me and several others last year is that the jobs, commutes, and variances in each other's training abilities caused most of the weekday plans to get canceled, paving the way for alot of solo training. Travis is correct -- on the weekends, it really opens up. You build it and they will come.

Anyone doing Mont-Tremblant?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria