Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

My lung cancer surviving brother talked me into doing IM CDA June 2011....
CREATED: 08/11/10 by mullenb4 REPLIES: 7
mullenb4    JOINED: 8/11/10    POSTS: 3
My lung cancer surviving brother talked me into doing IM CDA June 2011....
POSTED: 8/11/10 2:46 PM

Greetings DC Tri Family!

I'm scared and crazy.

My older brother is doing his 2nd IM. He's ten years older than me and a lung cancer survivor, so I decided to join him. IM CDA. June 26th, 2011.

I need a lot of help.

I have 10 months to train.

I have run 5 marathons, I'm a decent swimmer, but I do not have a bike. I have been doing Crossfit for the last 13 months. I stopped Crossfit in at the end of July to train for this IM.

I really have no clue where to start.

Any suggestions?

ecrandlemire's ravatar ecrandlemire    JOINED: 4/13/10    POSTS: 63
RE: My lung cancer surviving brother talked me into doing IM CDA June 2011....
POSTED: 8/11/10 3:01 PM

You are in luck...tomorrow night there is a IM seminar being put on by the club and there is also a structured IM training program run by the club. Info on the seminar is on the first page of the website and the training program under the "Train" tab to the left.

POSTED: 8/11/10 3:07 PM

Great, thanks. Will be there.

Cheers,
Brendan

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1044
POSTED: 8/11/10 3:31 PM

Brendan, I've done CDA this past two years so let's try to catch up tomorrow night after the seminar. Dirk, Phil, and Kelzie who are on tomorrow's panel also raced it this year. Glad to meet ya. -Hugh

emle's ravatar emle    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 8/11/10 4:22 PM

Don't quit Crossfit just because you're training for an IM - keep doing it because it will help with your IM training. I've been doing CF for about 3 years now and used it combined with Crossfit Endurance as my method for training last year for an IM and am again this year for the same race and will next year when I do IMWI. I know 2 DC Tri folks who used CF to train for CDA this year and had strong races. Jen might chime in too with more info about this since she coaches CF, is my coach, and uses it to train for her ultra trail races.

Good luck
Emily

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 8/11/10 7:03 PM

I highly recommend the DC Tri IM program, but I don't know that the race date lines up with the training schedules.

I did IM Louisville last year by buying a book and following the spirit of the workout schedule. That works too.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 8/13/10 11:16 AM

I'm curious to know if you made it to the IM seminar and how it went. Did you get any input on continuing CrossFit while training for IM CdA? It is do able. I'd be interested in knowing where you did CF at, numbers/weights your hitting, etc.

Jen

POSTED: 8/13/10 11:25 AM

@ Jen---yes, I made it to the IM seminar last night. It was an excellent event and I learned an extraordinary amount from the entire panel. As for CF, I did not bring it up the issue. Due to how injury prone I am at CF, I think I'm going to shelf it for the time being to focus on the long and steady training verses the quick bursts explosions that CF is designed to focus on. For the last 14 or so months, I've been going to Jerry Hill's Crossfit Old Town. I highly recommend it--excellent training and a great atmosphere. Cheers, Brendan

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria