Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Several D.C. area trails under water today
CREATED: 03/15/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 19
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
Several D.C. area trails under water today
POSTED: 3/15/10 6:00 PM

Here's a picture from this morning of the Mount Vernon Trail near Roosevelt Island: http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/03/mt-vernon-trail-flooding.html

According to the comments in the blog post, much of the MVT is under water as are Four Mile Run, parts of Alexandria, parts of Georgetown, and sections of the C&O Canal towpath. Basically any low-lying area is under water today or in danger of being under water.

Be careful when riding or running today. Don't try to cross any flooded areas. If a car can't get through the water, you certainly won't be able to cross on a bike or while running.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Several D.C. area trails under water today
POSTED: 3/15/10 6:04 PM

According to a separate blog post that links to a Washington Post article, officials may breach the C&O Canal towpath to prevent Georgetown from getting flooded. If this happens, the towpath could be in bad shape for quite a while.

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 3/15/10 6:24 PM

Anyone know if Hains Point is still flooded?

POSTED: 3/15/10 6:28 PM

One of the commenters said that the water was so high along Ohio Drive that he could barely see the top of the fence. That was posted this morning.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/15/10 6:34 PM

As of tonight Ohio Drive was flooded where it goes under 395 - there are barriers blocking the road. I didn't even bother going down to the point to confirm what I already knew...

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/15/10 8:39 PM

i don't know what they are talking about the c&o towpath on sunday was muddy but not underwater since its well above the level of the potomac and also the river next to teh towpath is bone dry.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/15/10 9:25 PM

Upstream where the river and canal are closer to level there are locks that keep the two separated. One of those locks has failed...water was definitely raging through the g-town portion of the canal this afternoon!

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 3/15/10 10:21 PM

I found the USGS site that provides real-time tracking of water levels on the Potomac (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/dc/nwis/rt), and it looks like the river has crested.

I don't know much about how it works with this much snowmelt upstream to take care of but based on graphs from what happened back in January, it'll take about four days to get back to normal levels. My guess is that HP will be waterlogged until Sunday. Oh well, time to get the trainer back out.

POSTED: 3/15/10 11:18 PM

Unfortunately the current long-range forecast calls for a chance of showers on Sunday. It's supposed to be sunny for the rest of the week but then a cold front will come through. There's a 40% chance of rain on Sunday.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1313
POSTED: 3/16/10 9:23 AM

Anyone know if I can get to Canal Road (i.e., the street in front of the movie theater in GTown) from the path next to the water and the Kennedy Center? I'm trying to bike there then head toward McArthur Blvd today. Yes, I know there are other ways to get to McArthur Blvd. I'm just trying to find the easiest path from my office.

Thanks

postie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 3/16/10 9:25 AM

Did anyone try Haines Pt this morning? I'm hoping to bike there Weds a.m. and wondered about the flooding. Thanks!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 3/16/10 1:10 PM

Hoping to take advantage of the spring-like weather, I'm riding down to Hains at c. 5:15 this eve, and will check it out. If flooded, heading up the Arlington hills via the Custis Trail.

POSTED: 3/16/10 1:52 PM

From the Metro train, I could see that the Mt. Vernon Trail by the 14th St. Bridge was clear of water. The river is completely brown and all the bridge supports have piles of broken branches pushed up against them. The water level is lower but I forgot to look at Ohio Drive.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 3/16/10 3:04 PM

Well good thing National Tri is not this weekend! Although we had a bit of debris at ITU last year.

POSTED: 3/16/10 5:34 PM

I just got back from Haines Point. It's bike-able. The gates are down but you can go around that. There are some mud and debris around the awakening. You just need to get out of aero and slow down but nothing major.

Tuan

POSTED: 3/16/10 5:40 PM

The Awakening statue was moved to National Harbor in Prince George's Co. about two years ago.

POSTED: 3/16/10 6:02 PM

Just like Elvis ... may be gone physically but always there spiritually :)

Ahmen

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/16/10 6:03 PM

obviously tuan must have hit 88mph at hains point while biking to see the awakening there.

either that or just llike elvis he was taking a bit of extra sauce in the water bottle.

POSTED: 3/16/10 6:11 PM

It's possible that the buried part of the giant is still underground at Hains Point. And still trying to climb out of the ground.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 3/16/10 8:45 PM

In truth, during this evening's ride clear around the Point, we were astonished to spy the Awakening Statue back in its original spot. Apparently the powerful flood ripped it from its National Harbor mooring, and carried it back down the Potomac to its rightful place. It's a bit muddy and worse for the wear; still, being buried partly under sand and debris, it looks like it never left.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria