Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Olympic then Half?
CREATED: 05/21/09 by ready2run REPLIES: 6
ready2run    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 25
Olympic then Half?
POSTED: 5/21/09 1:34 PM

I'm signed up for the Savageman Olympic distance on Sept 20 and am planning on signing up for the Augusta 70.3 on Sept 27. Would it be wise to do both races? I recover quickly and have been training since Jan.

Natalie

rwadsworth's ravatar rwadsworth    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 32
RE: Olympic then Half?
POSTED: 5/21/09 1:58 PM

Hi Natalie - I'd say for most normal races, no problem, but Savageman truly lives up to its name...even the Olympic course. I don't think that you would be setting yourself up for a great race in Augusta if you race S.Man the weekend prior, and that would be a shame with how expensive m-dot races are!

Also, will Savageman be your first triathlon? If so, then definitely, definitely don't double up.

Good luck!

Rachel

ready2run    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 5/21/09 2:07 PM

Hey Rachel, thanks for the info. Savageman would be my 3rd race this summer. I think I'm going to take your advice and see if I can defer my registration until next year.

Thanks,
Natalie

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/21/09 3:56 PM

depends on if you know yuour body enough.

i've done the double of olympic/half im and also half im/olympic.

the latter is a bit nicer on the body as the second race if you raced hard teh first race hurts more than normal, so the shorter race later is nicer if you want to do that. you just aren't in pain for as long a time period.

that being said whatever race is second will not be your fastest race for obvious reason.

also only you know how well your body will deal with the stress of going race pace for 2 weekends in a row. some people can handle it, some can't. its a very individual thing.

good luck with whatever you do.

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 5/21/09 4:05 PM

I second Rachel's post. The Savageman Olympic course is brutal on the legs - those hills suck the life right out of you. If it were three weeks out from your HIM I would say go and hammer it and have a blast but by September 20th you should be tapering. I just don't think you'd get your legs back by the 27th.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 5/21/09 11:15 PM

Hey Nat,

Having done the Savageman Oly course last year, I personally wouldn't attempt it just 1 week before my first 1/2 IM. It is definitely a humbling course - both the ride and run are SUPER hilly, and even the swim feels uphill with the steep hill run up to transition from the boat ramp. Like Rachel said, with all the $$ and time that we're putting in to train for our first 1/2 IMs, I wouldn't try doing such a tough race just 1 week before Augusta 70.3 (especially since you kind of have to travel for Savageman and definitely are traveling for Augusta - that alone can be exhausting). Also, you've got Austin 70.3 just a month afterwards, and you don't want to risk getting injured. Now if it was 2 or 3 weeks before, I could be that kind of crazy.... ::B^>::

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
POSTED: 5/22/09 8:32 AM

Great year ahead Natalie! Whether Savageman, another oly, a sprint, or a 10k, there is only one answer: no. The thing to do a week before a 70.3 is tapering. Why ruin a half year of training to prove you can stack races? Never seen anyone who says a race the week before helped them, and seen plenty of the opposite. Follow your plan carefully, taper, and have a great 70.3 :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria