Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swim training during fall and winter
CREATED: 09/12/12 by Leocubillos REPLIES: 13
Leocubillos's ravatar Leocubillos    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 11
Swim training during fall and winter
POSTED: 9/12/12 8:31 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to DC Tri and was wondering about the options for swim training groups during fall and winter. Thanks much. Leo

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 109
RE: Swim training during fall and winter
POSTED: 9/12/12 8:40 PM

I'm swimming with the Montgomery County Ancient Mariners. So far so good. Not as hardcore as my old club, but maybe I'm swimming in the wrong lane. Also there are lots of swimmers and only one coach, so you may not get much in terms of coaching.

Here is their website:
www.ancientmariners.org/

Good luck!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 9/12/12 9:35 PM

I should be out at Sandy Point at least until mid-October. With a wetsuit, I could possibly be out there later on in the season.

-Hugh

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 9/14/12 5:34 AM

There's also the DC Tri Club's very own master's swim program, which practices Mon, Wed, and Fri from 7-8 PM at Wilson Pool. Registrations for the next quarter will happen soon, so contact masters@dctriclub.org to add your name to the interest list. Depending on the day, we have 2-3 x 50 meter lanes and one coach per lane. (I'm one of those coaches, so of course I think this is a great program!)

--Katie

Leocubillos's ravatar Leocubillos    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 9/15/12 9:06 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Very useful. Where can I find information about swimming in Sandy Point? I will also contact masters@dctriclub too add my name.
Thanks a mill.
--leo

taribero's ravatar taribero    JOINED: 8/25/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 9/15/12 10:20 AM

Thanks leocunllos for asking that, I almost ask same question and thanks to all responses

gthoyt's ravatar gthoyt    JOINED: 1/22/11    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 9/16/12 11:10 AM

I'm interested in the Sandy Point details too. I see on the website that lifeguards ended on labor day but it doesn't say when the beach is open. Can you swim anytime the park is open? Is there any rule of thumb for distance?
Thanks,
John

z85larsen's ravatar z85larsen    JOINED: 7/27/12    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 9/28/12 8:59 AM

I'm looking for indoor pools around Pentagon City/Crystal City...any advice?
Alternatively, maybe an indoor pool anywhere along the yellow line? Preferably with a group-practice option?
Sandy Point looks awesome, but I haven't bought a wetsuit yet, is there an easy place to rent from?

molnarc2's ravatar molnarc2    JOINED: 9/8/12    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 9/28/12 10:52 AM

In Pentagon City/Crystal City there is a 25yard pool with 4 lanes at LA Fitness, I used to swim there early in the mornings when I was working off of Crystal Drive. They open at 5am and validate 2 hours of parking.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1735
POSTED: 9/28/12 11:54 AM

The newly refurbished Crystal City Sport & Health also has an indoor swimming pool.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 500
POSTED: 9/28/12 5:16 PM

A few resources of the club's that you may want to consider:

We have a fairly comprehensive listing of pools in the local area. Please send an email to training@dctriclub.org if you have a new pool you would like added to this list:

http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Train.Regularly_Scheduled_Swims

We also offer our very own Masters Program where there are always between 1 and 3 coaches on deck each session. This program is now one year old with a waitlist however we ae on the verge of drastically expanding this program so be sure to get your name on the waitlist by sending an email to masters@dctriclub.org.

http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Train.Swim_Program

Stay tuned for a very exciting project that is in the works by the club to potentialy obtain our very own OWS venue right here in DC.

Ryan,
President, DC Tri Club

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 10/14/12 8:37 PM

Hey guys -

We have a couple of open spots for the fall quarter's DC Tri Club Masters Program.

The program does start this Monday, Oct 15. With an orientation meeting offer on both Monday, Oct 15 and Friday, Oct 19 at 6pm at the pool. We highly recommend swimmers new to Masters Swimming to attend, as we will go over the terminology that we commonly use on deck.

The DC Triathlon Club Masters Swim Program will help you improve your endurance, practice pacing, and get stroke pointers from coaches and fellow teammates. While you don't need to have a competitive swimming background, this program is geared toward intermediate to advanced swimmers. In order to join the program, we expect that you that are able to swim at least 600 meters/yards without stopping. It doesn't have to be fast or pretty. That will come. A typical practice yardage
is 2000-3200 meters/yards in an hour, often in a 50 m pool.

We meet at the Wilson Aquatic Center, located in NWDC - right off the Tentlytown metro (4551 Fort Drive, NW, Washington, DC 20008). The Fall session will be from Oct 15 to Dec 28 with 11/12, 11/21, and 12/24 scheduled off due to the holidays. Please note that there may be other days that we might have limited access to the pool due to unscheduled maintenance, swim meets, and circumstances beyond our control. We will
do our best to keep everyone updated on these closures. And because of the shorten quarter, the cost will be prorated to $180 for the full program and $80 for the Friday only program.

Registration is located on the DC Tri Site, in the "Shops"
(http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Shop.welcome ) - under the Training Races and Program. Please note that you do need to be a current DC Tri Club member to be able to register for this program.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask us here or via email - masters@dctriclub.org

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 10/15/12 12:23 PM

Sorry guys - our Friday only spots have sold out. We also only have 2 more spots in our full program, which starts tonight.

We are working on getting some early morning pool space to accomadate the high interest level of our Masters Swim program. We are working out the contract right now - so as soon as we sign the contracts, we will let everyone know. You can send us an email at masters@dctriclub.org if you want to be abreast of the upcoming addition.

-Catharine

jonsmith1123's ravatar jonsmith1123    JOINED: 10/28/12    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 11/26/12 6:37 PM

Hey, is anybody driving to the UDC early morning swims on Fridays from the DC's NoMa/Northeast area? If so, I'd love to hitch a ride. I took the first Metro last Friday but was still a few minutes late.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria