Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Cyclocross racing in the D.C. area
CREATED: 08/12/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 9
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
Cyclocross racing in the D.C. area
POSTED: 8/12/10 1:13 AM

I know it's still summer and we've been experiencing near-record temperatures this week... but it's not too early to think about fall/winter plans. For some triathletes, that means cyclocross racing.

I've found at least 2 cyclocross races in the D.C. area this fall:

Oct. 10, Hyattsville CX, Magruder Park, Hyattsville MD
Oct. 24, DC-CX, Armed Forces Retirement Home, DC

[The Capitol Cross Classic that is usually held in Reston in early Dec. has been canceled this year.]

I don't know about the Hyattsville race, but DC-CX is definitely open to cyclocross beginners, according to one of the organizers. There will be multiple races that day for separate experience levels and men's and women's races. A big problem is that the Army Ten-Miler takes place the same day, with 8 and 8:10 am wave starts. The DC-CX novice race is scheduled for 9 am.

However, there might be a 2nd novice race at 4 pm that day. If so, then it would be possible to run the ATM, recover, clean up, get the bike and head over to D.C. for DC-CX. It would be like a duathlon, only with an extended transition period.

Another concern is the equipment. A tri bike would be unsuitable for a cyclocross race. Most of the course will be on grassy and dirt hill trails with some tough obstacles in the way. A mountain bike could work for most of the course but it could be very difficult to carry a mtn. bike up a hill. (Many cyclocross courses include at least one obstacle where you need to pick up the bike and carry it up a hill. It could be a series of temporary steps or planks.) I'm not sure I could afford to get a cyclocross bike this year. If not, then I'll have to go with the mtn. bike.

If enough people express interest in an afternoon novice race at DC-CX, then I think they would be more inclined to add it. The organizers, DCMTB, are also holding a series of cyclocross clinics at Fort Reno Park in Tenleytown. Preliminary schedule is the 1st four Wednesdays in September.

For more info, check out the official websites:

http://hyattsvillecx.blogspot.com/
http://www.dcmtb.com/blog/calendar
You can find contact info for DC-CX at the DCMTB calendar.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: Cyclocross racing in the D.C. area
POSTED: 8/12/10 1:48 AM

Are you off your rocker? To suggest, riding a Triathlon bike at a Cyclocross is absolutely ludicruous.

[this is me distancing myself from that post]

I race cyclocross. I'm not sure if Mountain Bikes are UCI or MABRA legal, but I have seen a few Mtn Bikes in Category 4 cyclocross races.

There are 'novice' races at local cyclocross races. They're called Category 4. Sign up quick, they fill up fast for men's.

Cat 4 for men's is usually a separate race. For women's, all women Cat 1-4 race at once or sometimes they split the field Cat 1/2 with a 3 minutes head start.

There are a ton of cross races within 2 hour's drive from DC, usually 2/weekend. My favorites: Tacchino at Rosaryville, DCCX, Capitol Cross at Reston, DoubleCross, Charm City...there are so many. Check out: http://www.mabra.org/

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 8/12/10 2:07 AM

Are you being serious? If so, I think you need to calm down first and read what I wrote. I said a tri bike would be unsuitable for a cyclocross race. How can I be more specific than that?

POSTED: 8/12/10 2:10 AM

And this is not the first time you have lashed out at me on a thread because you failed to read what I wrote.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 8/12/10 8:19 AM

Have you watched what happens at the mount/dismount line in a triathlon?? Triathletes and CX is a recipe for disaster! ;)

That said, I did the DCCX race last year...its a fun race, but the belgian beer and frites are the real draw! Oh, and the heckling.

Andy

bdurman's ravatar bdurman    JOINED: 7/7/10    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 10/26/10 1:39 PM

I did the DCCX women's race this past weekend and had a blast! It was tough but so much fun.

I have only done one sprint tri race but I can say that the 40 minutes on the cross course was a lot tougher than the tri...

POSTED: 10/26/10 4:09 PM

Congrats on the race!

They ended up adding a Rookie Race in the later afternoon, just before 4 pm, for those completely new to cyclocross. I registered for that race... but I missed out!

I ran the Army Ten-Miler on Sunday morning and still had plenty of time to make it to the DCCX location. But I tried to take care of some other things in between the races. I cut it close and then took the Metro to Georgia Ave-Petworth station. At that point I got lost.

Google Maps shows the station on the wrong block so I went north looking for Rock Creek Church Road. Turns out, I needed to turn south from the station. I rode around in a big circle on the streets looking for the race. I asked some bystanders for directions but they led me in the wrong way. The street maps were missing from all of the nearby bus stops. I didn't bring my smartphone with me so I couldn't use the GPS map to help with directions. I didn't get to the race until 15 min. after it had started. Bummer.

It did look like a lot of fun. Well, a fun challenge. The hills looked tough.

I'll try again next year, depending on which weekend they schedule it in Oct.

bdurman's ravatar bdurman    JOINED: 7/7/10    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 10/26/10 8:33 PM

That sucks that you missed the race! Did you at least grab a beer and some frites?

The hills were pretty tough and close together; there really wasn't any kind of recovery leg on the course. I definitely need to work on remounts...after doing eight of those, and only nailing two, I need a few days off from being in the saddle :)

I'll definitely do the DCCX race next year and maybe some of the others!

- Beth

POSTED: 10/26/10 9:24 PM

I thought about heading over to grab some beer. I watched some of the race from the other side of the metal fence. I didn't think I'd enjoy myself at the race site since I missed the race, so instead of moping about there, I decided to head back home. I thought I would try to get in a recovery swim workout since I missed the bike race, but I got back home too late to do that. Oh well. At least my recovery was better on Monday since I didn't do the DCCX race.

I'm definitely interested in next year's DCCX but I'll have to see what the exact date is. I'm going to sign up for the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon. It'll be my first marathon so I want to do everything right, to the extent possible. If DCCX takes place on the same weekend as MCM, I'll have to skip DCCX. If DCCX takes place one or two weeks before MCM, then I might be able to do both.

I'll check out some of the other cyclocross races too but I don't know if I'll be able to do any of those. I might have a pretty busy fall racing schedule with triathlon and run races. The Hyattsville CX race is a possibility. So many races, but too little time!

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 231
POSTED: 10/27/10 3:35 PM

Here's a website with a list of CX races. As of now, many of them are still open to register.

http://www.cxhairs.com/tag/all-hallows/

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria