Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

seeking cheery blossom entry
CREATED: 02/26/11 by jonwolfsthal REPLIES: 7
jonwolfsthal's ravatar jonwolfsthal    JOINED: 3/22/09    POSTS: 43
seeking cheery blossom entry
POSTED: 2/26/11 10:33 PM

i did not make the lottery and just learned you can transfer numbers. if you are in, but can't make the run, please help a brother out - i will relay your fee and throw in a good bottle of red wine to boot. e-mailme at jon_wolfsthal at yahoo dot com

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 367
RE: seeking cheery blossom entry
POSTED: 2/28/11 11:56 AM

Jon,

You may consider checking out Craigslist... this guy is trying to unload one. But act quick... I'm sure tons of people are looking to buy the bib, and the official transfer period ends at 11:59pm tonight.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/tix/2238364340.html

-Luke

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 2/28/11 12:08 PM

Just and FYI the official bib transfer ends tonight!

From the website:

The organizing committee of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom is allowing accepted runners who cannot participate in the race to transfer their registration to runners who did not get accepted into the event.The transfer period will open on February 1, 2011, and close at 11:59 P.M. on February 28, 2011. Please note that all transfers must be completed by that time. Transfers that are "in process" when the deadline is reached cannot be guaranteed. No transfers will be allowed after the close of the transfer period, and there are no refunds or deferrals. We need to close the transfer process on February 28 in order to give us time to get the bib numbers assigned and make corrections to the database.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/28/11 3:57 PM

i have to say that i used the transfer process on the website to sell my spot to someone from their forum board and its a very efficient process.

its probably the best way to transfer numbers so long as you can work out a payment method with the person to pay you back the face value on the original number, i did this and its very seamless.

i give the cherry blossum race kudos to them for thinking of a great way to get your money back for races if you are injured and can't do it like myself.

i only hope the people will stick by the caveats of the race organization and not "scalp" entries to other racers.

jonwolfsthal's ravatar jonwolfsthal    JOINED: 3/22/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 2/28/11 4:37 PM

i got one. thanks.

FWIT, I am not a major fan. I think the transfer system is just another way to make money since it costs 12 bucks to transfer - a 2 e-mail process. I dislike the lottery system as well - I have run the race for almost 20 years and not having a guaranteed slot qwas pretty annoying. There should be some system for ginving past runners preference - maybe an early lottery for past runners?

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 367
POSTED: 2/28/11 5:12 PM

Without question, a first-come first-served registration process is much better than a lottery process. If you want to run the race, just sign up as soon as registration goes live. They made this move 2 years ago because in 1999 registration filled in 3 hours and several people complained about the server freezing and them not being able to sign up.

akoethe    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 2/28/11 5:56 PM

If you want a guaranteed Cherry Blossom entry for 2012, you can volunteer for the 2011 race. They have slots available Thursday, Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday.

http://www.cherryblossom.org/volunteer/volunteer.htm

I volunteered at the expo last year and had a good experience.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/28/11 10:31 PM

we can get into a whole discussion on the merits of the lottery system, a "preferred status" regarding repeat racers, or first come first served but if you are a charity that rule does not apply.

that is whole different thread.

but they are doing exactly what happened with triathlons years ago. with the whole lottery system for alcatraz, nyctri, and many other marathons and triathlons now that are getting popular and sell out in minutes.

i'm actually surprised it took the cherry blossum race so long for it to happen honestly.

but like everyone says, so long as the sport is always growing and more people sign up every year no wrong can be done. LOL

although strangely enough i do agree with the whole volunteer one year get a guaranteed chance to enter the next year, but with some races requireing volunteering for multiple days that is a bit bogus.

and of course the transfer process makes the race more money. if the growth of triathlons have taught us anything its that people WILL PAY to race, so why not get some money in the process if you are a RD?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria