DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

10K race to end homelessness - call for volunteers
CREATED: 11/02/11 by cfudge1 REPLIES: 7
cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
Run for Shelter!
POSTED: 11/02/11 5:35 PM

Dear DC Tri friends,

I'm excited to announce a new 10K running race in the DC area for 2012, Run for Shelter.

The race, to be held on Saturday April 28th will be dedicated to the Carpenter's Shelter, a homeless shelter in Alexandria VA. Carpenter's is a pretty amazing place - it provides structured case management for over 350 individuals (including 100 children) and operates day and winter shelters for hundreds more.

Some of you might remember that I ran Ironman Louisville to raise money for Carpenter's last year (see race report at http://tinyurl.com/3pj7hyn) and while there are many worthy causes out there, I appreciate Carpenter's because I think they do great work and really make a difference in the local community.

Right now, we're on the lookout for volunteers to help us raise awareness, build corporate relationships and plan a successful event. Think you might have some time to help us? We'd love to have you - no matter how big or small the commitment. Please send me a message on the forum or email me at my username @gmail.com.

Thanks,
Carl

www.runforshelter10K.com

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 346
RE: 10K race to end homelessness - call for volunteers
POSTED: 11/02/11 10:19 PM

Carl,

You might consider partnering with Back On My Feet. BOMF is at several homeless shelters in DC, and they have a great leadership staff. Check it out!

http://dc.backonmyfeet.org/dc-landing.html

-Luke

POSTED: 11/02/11 11:08 PM

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the great suggestion. Other people have said the same thing too so I will definitely reach out. Do you volunteer with them?

Cheers,
Carl

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 346
POSTED: 11/02/11 11:19 PM

Yes, I do volunteer with BOMF! I can put you in touch with the leaders of BOMF if you want!

-Luke

POSTED: 11/02/11 11:27 PM

An intro would be great! My email is cfudge1 at gmail.com.
Thanks,
Carl

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 11/03/11 10:19 AM

Hi Carl -

Just sent you an email from my yahoo account. I am happy to help with package stuffing and race packet pick up. Don't know about big picture items - but I can certainly spread the word and enlist some participants.

Maureen

POSTED: 11/03/11 1:13 PM

Thanks Maureen!

Run for Shelter!
POSTED: 1/12/12 6:18 PM

Hello all,

Just wanted to give this thread a bump to announce that the Run for Shelter website is now LIVE!

Please check out the site and consider joining us for a great, metro-accessible 10K on April 28th in Alexandria!

http://www.runforshelter10k.com/

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria