trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Where is your M * Dot tattoo?
POSTED: 5/05/10 7:03 AM

On my calf

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 5/05/10 8:08 AM

On the back of my left calf.

I need lots of people to see it to feel better about myself.

And that's the perfect viewing area when people are passing me on the bike. And on the run.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/05/10 9:09 AM

Right above my tribal tat on the small of my back.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 5/05/10 9:58 AM

You have a Tramp Stamp, Andy???

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/05/10 10:00 AM

Damn Lisa... I was thinking the same thing. Just didn't have th courage to say that to someone who can stomp my butt in a race...lol

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/05/10 10:18 AM

Hah, well I just figured what better location to show off my accomplishment when in the aero position!

That little gap between your tri top and shorts is the perfect place, I think. PLUS when you're rolling in a 20 person peloton during an actual IM everyone will know you mean business! =)

no-e-plz's ravatar no-e-plz    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 5/05/10 11:00 AM

see, Andy has one just next to his pink teddy bear tattoo and his IM tatt has the dot in the shape of a heart...'cuz he's that kind of sensitive guy.

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 5/12/10 7:38 PM

Question..... What's your thoughts on seeing the M Dot on someone who only completed the 70.3?

JGunder's ravatar JGunder    JOINED: 8/31/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 5/12/10 8:34 PM

Shouldn't it be on the outside of your right leg...
So that the people you pass see it, but the ones who pass you don't?

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/12/10 11:12 PM

no you have to put it on the outside of your left calf that way nobody will ever see it. only the privileged few that pass you ever get to see your tat.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 5/13/10 2:18 AM

I have never done a full Im, just 70.3. I would not get the tat for 70.3 but I have no prob with anyone else doing what they want.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1318
POSTED: 5/13/10 8:04 AM

I've seen a few M-dot tattoos with a 70.3 creatively and beautifully etched next to it as a piece of artwork. Training for and completing a 70.3 race is not an easy task. You can't just get off the couch and wing it like say with a 5k race. You kind of have to put in a little bit of time and money to train for it ... not to mention some sacrifices in your personal/family life. I can understand why someone would get a tattoo after a 70.3 race. I know that I was quite proud of that accomplishment when I completed my first 70.3 race.

However, if you have only done a 70.3 race and you get a standalone M-dot tattoo (i.e., without the 70.3 next to it), I think that the only place that you should put that tattoo is on your forehead. If you are going to draw attention to yourself for an event that you didn't do and the sacrafices that you didn't make, you should put it in the most visible place possible ... your forehead.

To the original question: My M-dot tattoo is right underneath my left clavicle. It's pretty big but you won't be able to see it even if I take off my shirt ... but I know it's there ;)

Tuan

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 975
POSTED: 5/13/10 8:34 AM

I agree with our illustrious Vietnamese royalty.

If the M-dot tattoo is distinguished in some way to admit to doing a Half and not a full, then it's perfectly okay. Heck, just get half of the M-dot tattoo. :)
(Though if someone does TWO Half Ironman races, it's not okay to get the two opposing halves of the M-dot tattoo together.)

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 5/13/10 11:56 AM

I'm going to offer a contrasting view on this one. It wouldn't bother me if someone got an M dot tattoo who hasn't completed one yet (but has it as one of their goals). As long as the tattoo isn't visible when one is hanging out, riding/running, etc. They may have it as a motivation tool to keep training to one day complete one. Yes, I agree there are other ways to motivate yourself and believe me, as a teacher/coach, I know. As long as that person is honest when asked if they completed one or not. The same would apply to one who wears a Boston marathon shirt just for fun, but admits they never completed the race.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 5/13/10 11:58 AM

I have yet to get an M * dot tattoo because I am unsure if I want one. Last year I bought eight temporary tattoos to see if I really want one.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 5/13/10 1:00 PM

Hugh - how did you know about my very secret hidden M Dot tattoo?? ::%^)::

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 5/13/10 1:26 PM

Outside left ankle. Recommend only for the pain-resistant. Wouldn't get one after a 70.3, but it's only because - actually getting a tattoo is excruciating.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria