Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Spring Marathons?
CREATED: 11/04/13 by jennism REPLIES: 9
jennism's ravatar jennism    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 35
Spring Marathons?
POSTED: 11/04/13 11:03 AM

I just ran Marine Corps as my first standalone full marathon, and now I've been bitten by the marathon bug. I want to run a spring marathon and am having trouble choosing. What race do people recommend? Rock N Roll DC is tempting given it's on home soil, but I haven't heard the greatest things about support for the second half of the race. I also know of the Shamrock marathon in VA Beach. Are there other races in the mid-March to mid-April timeframe that I should consider?

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 398
RE: Spring Marathons?
POSTED: 11/04/13 11:14 AM

I had a lot of fun at King's Mountain in Clovis, SC. Pretty cheap, too. It's in April.

Race report: HERE

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 120
POSTED: 11/04/13 11:28 AM

I'm in for the Rock n Roll full! I've done the half so I can't speak to the second half support. I plan on bringing all my own stuff, gel and water. I take in more water and don't get slowed down by hitting water stops. I'll carry two and ditch and grab two more from my peeps at about the halfway point. We shall see.

I've only done the MCM so I have no other suggestions to offer you but I'm sure there are plenty around.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
POSTED: 11/04/13 12:16 PM

Queen City Marathon - March 29 in Cumberland, MD
Runners Marathon - March 30 in Reston, VA
B&A Trail Marathon - March 30 in Severna Park, MD
Blue Ridge Marathon - April 26 in Roanoke, VA

I can't give reviews of these having never done them, but those are some options to look into.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 11/04/13 1:34 PM

There are very few marathons out there that match or exceed the MCM in terms of crowd support and energy. Shamrock is about as dead as DC RnR in terms of crowd support. Once you've done MCM, many of the other ones will seem like a let down.

I did the Los Angeles Marathon once. It went through a lot of ethnic neighborhoods. Each of the neighborhoods had their own ethnic bands out along the course to play ethnic music. I thought that was pretty cool. I understand that the course has changed somewhat over the years, but spending the weekend in LA isn't a bad thing :)

You can always raise money and run Boston. The female coeds of Wellesley are awesome! ... but you're probably not as much into that as I am :)

--Tuan

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 11/04/13 1:40 PM

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO THE SENECA/GREENWAY TRAIL MARATHON/ULTRA. NEVER. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER

-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 11/04/13 2:34 PM

I raced Pittsburg back in 1999 and it was a pretty good race. I believe the course changed a little since then.

DCRRC puts on the GW Birthday Marathon on 16 February. It is a small race but the entry fee is a bargain.
www.gwmarathon.com

mjraugust's ravatar mjraugust    JOINED: 12/15/11    POSTS: 96
POSTED: 11/04/13 4:33 PM

If you are interested in training with a group of other DC Tri folks for your marathon, a group of us from the Wednesday night track workouts have formed a winter distance running training group. Basically we do the Wednesday night track workouts at Wilson Center then meet for a long run at 9AM on Saturdays. The locations for the Saturday runs will vary, for info on the current weeks long run and access to the training plans we are following, visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/DCTriWinterMarathonGroup/ and request to join the Facebook group. Email me if you have any questions mjraugust@yahoo.com.

-Mark

Spot99    JOINED: 4/15/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 11/04/13 8:50 PM

I did the Blue Ridge Marathon last year and it was great fun. There is a mountain at the beginning but it is actually not that hard to climb. The other two mountains are more like significant hills. It really is a great race and I am doing it again this year.

The second half of the DC Rock and Roll is not that great. Its OK but most people do the half and you leave the pack to basically finish without a lot of support from crowds. It is really is like two different races. Although it is not a lot of fun, I am doing it again this year.

The DC Roadrunners do a marathon in February. It is a lot of fun from the stand point of really cold and lonely. I did it last and loved it so much I am doing it again this year.

CMR's ravatar CMR    JOINED: 10/3/13    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 11/04/13 9:17 PM

Thanks for heads-up Mark about marathon training group. I have requested to join the FB group. New to club but keen to find a running group to train for RNR in the Spring. ~ Cathy

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria