Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Annapolis TriRock Cancelled
CREATED: 05/14/13 by jdelia43 REPLIES: 5
jdelia43    JOINED: 1/13/12    POSTS: 7
Annapolis TriRock Cancelled
POSTED: 5/14/13 11:40 AM

First they moved it from May 4th to July 20th, and I just got an email that they cancelled it. They offered transfers to Nations or Philly (sprint/olympic) or a full refund.

The email just said "In this third year we were unable to receive support from all necessary organizations."

I'm really bummed, that was a great race last year.

Does anyone know why it was cancelled?

kat12    JOINED: 6/6/12    POSTS: 1
RE: Annapolis TriRock Cancelled
POSTED: 5/14/13 3:41 PM

Same thing happened in 2008 (I think it was thru Columbia Tri Club) The city would not issue the permits for the bike course. Bummer...

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1320
POSTED: 5/14/13 9:10 PM

The first PeasantMan was held in Annapolis, with the swim and run at Sandy Point. We moved it to Lake Anna after that first year for probably some of the same reasons that the TriRock folks were up against.

It's not just the one in 2008 that got canceled, but there was another triathlon before that that met the same fate. What happened in 2008 was a travesty. The organizers of that triathlon did everything that they were supposed to do, but got the rug pulled under them at the last minute.

I was surprise when I first heard that TriRock was able to start a triathlon out of Annapolis, given the history. It's not just the community that does not support it. It's the govt agencies (office of the mayor of Annapolis, Park Rangers, etc) that throw all kinds of obstacles that just seem so comical, if it weren't so sad.

It's kind of sad to see that there aren't any triathlons in Annapolis. That area is a very beautiful and scenic place to have a triathlon. The city is a wonderful place to lounge around afterward.

--Tuan

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 5/14/13 9:55 PM

Figured this would happen. Bunch of pricks out that way. I know the Naval Academy has some super fast athletes, surprised they don't get more respect. This is the same city where I was repeatedly honked at for the offense of walking down the street. Not a pedestrian friendly place whatsoever (unless you're by the water). Even still the behavior was ugly, and the lack of folks walking and a dearth of sidewalks always puzzled me. Bizzare city, but do Philly if you get the chance. Unless TRi Rock screws it up (don't put it passed 'em) it's a spectacular course a million times prettier than Naptown was anyway.

jdelia43    JOINED: 1/13/12    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 5/15/13 8:25 AM

Ah, that's a shame. I did the race last year and I really enjoyed it. I'm already signed up for Philly, but the Annapolis was the one I was really looking forward to.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
POSTED: 5/15/13 9:19 AM

A real shame, especially given the cancellation of DC tri events last year. Annapolis has an excellent if sweltering 10-mile run, and a classic seaport setting and bridges crossing rivers that should be a natural for triathlon.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria