Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

ITU Race in Washington, DC!
CREATED: 04/02/09 by siehndel REPLIES: 57
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
ITU Race in Washington, DC!
POSTED: 4/02/09 12:02 PM

From Chuck Brodsky (This will be an awesome race to watch and race !)

Today our company received approval from the National Park Service to host a new triathlon in Washington, DC on Sunday, June 21st of 2009. The triathlon is called The Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship and is the only North American stop on an 8 city worldwide top-level triathlon series tour.

The event includes an amateur and professional triathlon in one day of exciting action. In the morning from 6am and 11am amateur compete in a USAT sanctioned Olympic or Sprint distance triathlon in the heart of Washington DC. See the amateur triathlon course map attached. Amateurs will compete in age group brackets as usual with an Elite division as the first wave. This is a USAT sanctioned race so in the amateur race, there is no drafting allowed. The swim is one loop, the bike is two loops and the run is point to point. Registration for this race will open Wednesday, April 8.

At 11am the most elite professional male triathletes from around the world will represent their country in an Olympic distance race under ITU style rules. They will swim 2 loops, bike 8 loops and run 4 loops. Drafting is allowed. At 1pm the most elite professional women triathletes from around the world will race on the same course as the men. The ITU style is very exciting to watch and we will have a full arena-style bleacher finish area set up on Pennsylvania Ave between 10th and 12th St. In fact, the amateurs will finish in the same place as the pros. The pro race will be broadcast to a worldwide audience in excess of 200m people with many countries carrying it live in high def.

I’d like to thank Washington, DC Mayor Adrian Fenty and his administration for supporting our efforts as well as our friends at the National Park Service, US Capitol Police and US Park Police.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
RE: ITU Race in Washington, DC!
POSTED: 4/02/09 12:07 PM

Make it the club championships and call it a day.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 4/02/09 12:09 PM

Travis ... do you have the link to the course map ?

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 4/02/09 12:11 PM

Yup.. I agree. Club Championship material written all over it. Not to mention it's OUR back yard... :D

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 4/02/09 12:26 PM

The swim is one loop? In what? the Potomac?

kstapleton's ravatar kstapleton    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 4/02/09 12:26 PM

I'm still skeptical... Did this email go out yesterday? Or is this actually for real?

POSTED: 4/02/09 1:13 PM

Nope... This is for real. They've been working on it for quite some time and it looks like everything finally fell together. It's put on by the folks that also run Nation's Tri and the AcheiveDC Youth Triathlon.

Course Maps »

The amateur map is on top and the pro map is below. The crop isn't perfect but it'll do. As a reminder, the amateur course is 2 loops bike and point-to-point run.

The pro race is 8 loops bike and 4 loops run. Expect for DC Tri to get involved in this race so keep that race open to either race or volunteer.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 4/02/09 1:34 PM

Will there be a beer garden for the Pro race? Can we make our own?

Andy B.

POSTED: 4/02/09 1:58 PM

I'm sure we can make our own. There's gotta be a bar with a patio on the course. Sitting on a patio, chugging down beers as the pro-athletes fly by sounds like an awesome idea. :)

B

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 4/03/09 8:09 PM

Can the Club workout something with the race's director so club members can get in a day earlier just like in nations because is run by the same people

Thanks
Eric

dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 4/06/09 10:21 AM

Does anyone know what the participant cap is for the race?

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 4/06/09 9:51 PM

What is the website to sign in base on the email registration is 36 hours away

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 4/06/09 10:28 PM

I believe that the website will be up on Wednesday, April 8th. The race is confirmed so save the date.

Lunchbox's ravatar Lunchbox    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 4/08/09 11:16 AM

Anyone got the scoop on a website and registration?

mmerson's ravatar mmerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 67
Website Live for June ITU & Age Group Races in Washington, DC!
POSTED: 4/08/09 12:11 PM

The day we've been waiting for is HERE! Race entry opens Friday for the age groups sprint and olympic distance triathlons to be held in conjunction with the first ever Dextro Energy Triathlon ITU World Championship Series in Washington, D.C.

We will host this top level competition for the world's best athletes in the sport of triathlon. Washington, DC is the only Western Hemisphere stop in the series. Race day (June 21) is an exciting combination of two separate races: in the morning amateur triathletes will race under USAT rules (non-drafting), followed by Professional Men and Women racing under ITU rules (draft-legal).

Amateur triathletes can choose from the Olympic (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run) or Sprint (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) distance triathlons, both of which are sanctioned by the USAT. In both races amateurs will finish in the same finish line arena as the Pros on Pennsylvania Avenue in the heart of downtown Washington, DC.

Registration opens on Friday, April 10 at 8:00 AM. To register and get more details about The Dextro Energy Triathlon – ITU World Championship Series Washington, DC go to www.washingtondc-triathlon.org.

As the host club for this series of events, DC Tri is positioned to become the best known triathlon club in the WORLD. We will be hosting athletes and their families from around the globe. If you can't race, please volunteer. If you can't volunteer, then please, come out and bring everyone you to know to see some of the most exciting racing ever to grace a U.S. race venue. For those of you who have never seen an ITU style race, you are in for a fantastic experience. It is exciting, spectator friendly, and full of drama and spectacular performaces. This race will be televised in 10 countries so let's wear the club colors on and alongside the course so the world can see what a world class triathlon city we have in Washington, D.C.

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 4/08/09 1:59 PM

Registration is open:

http://www.washingtondc-triathlon.org/index.php/en/age-group/registration

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 4/08/09 2:02 PM

Here is the link for the event website:

http://www.washingtondc-triathlon.org/

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 4/08/09 2:04 PM

$170 bucks...a little too rich for my blood. I'll be out to cheer!

POSTED: 4/08/09 2:35 PM

That is a bit pricey. Why do DC races have to cost so much more? :) Nations is steep too.

POSTED: 4/08/09 2:54 PM

I should make a disclaimer before I answer saying that I do some work for Nation's Tri and their races so I may not be the most unbiased opinion out there.

City races are always more expensive than other races. I think NYC Tri was $225 this year. The fact is, it just costs a lot of money to pay for all of DC police jurisdictions (Metro, Nat'l Park, Secret Service,... etc.) as well as set up the appropriate infrastructure for a race through downtown D.C. cost a lot of money.

But, if you can't race, we need volunteers. Whether racing or volunteering, it'll be an awesome way to get up close and on the same race course as the pros.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria