DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ladies - Best running skirt/skort??
CREATED: 05/16/12 by chad0022 REPLIES: 13
chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 304
Ladies - Best running skirt/skort??
POSTED: 5/16/12 3:02 PM

Hi Ladies,

Do you run in a skirt/skort? Do your thighs rub together when you run?

If you answered yes, please let me know what brand/style/type. I am looking for something different to 'run' in during training and HATE tugging at shorts. I don't feel comfortable in anything too tight/compression style. I get too hot in capris.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Amanda

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
RE: Ladies - Best running skirt/skort??
POSTED: 5/16/12 7:46 PM

I may not be a lady and have never used a skirt/skort, nor do I plan to, so far, but I am glad I'm not the only one with thighs that rub... I solved that by using half-tights instead of my usual butt-grabber shorts. Love them.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 5/16/12 7:52 PM

I think you should give one a try Andrew. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Transcend those gender gaps.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 5/16/12 7:54 PM

Easily.

Nicole's ravatar Nicole    JOINED: 1/21/12    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 5/16/12 10:34 PM

I don't run in them, but I have several of these skirts from SkirtSports and really like them. The fabric has the right amount of give, and the "shorties" underneath are pretty comfortable (and not really that short). If you want to try the brand, there are usually some on sale at Sierra Trading Co. Zappos also sells them (easy returns). Hope that helps...

jennism's ravatar jennism    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 5/17/12 8:19 AM

Lululemon also has some great running skirts. The shorts underneath have grippy rubber similar to bike shorts around the edges, so they don't budge. They also make tall lengths in some of them, which is great if you don't want to run in a super mini-skirt. Good luck!

POSTED: 5/23/12 7:08 AM

Thanks all! I also received a private message and wanted to share part of it (hope that is okay!!) so we have a thread with as much info as possible.

"My favorite shorts to run in are these. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NKL1470/ I realize you said you don't like tightish shorts, but these are not hideous. Loose shorts make me crazy. I tried some skirts but had no luck."

At this point, I am willing to try anything, including shorts that don't make a lady with thighs tug (sorry you don't have that problem Andrew).

Any other suggestions?
Amanda

dmd326's ravatar dmd326    JOINED: 10/28/10    POSTS: 66
POSTED: 5/23/12 10:32 AM

I've been curious about this myself. I've been running in capris, but it's getting hot out.

Thanks!

POSTED: 5/31/12 9:16 AM

Update...

The super cute grey with pink piping Pony (remember that brand? Who knew they were still around...) skort from TJ Maxx on sale for $18 is super cute, but not functional. The under shorts would not stay in place. Very bad.

But I think I looked cute so that's at least 1 point for the skort. It was a good length with proper tush coverage. I will now wear it to get coffee on a Saturday morning so it looks like I just worked out.

I will continue to provide reviews as my checkbook allows me to buy new skorts/shorts on my quest to find the best one.

Amanda

Cuteness - :::^)::
Functional - ::>^X::
Price - :::^D::

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 5/31/12 12:23 PM

I can't tell you how much i love this thread.
That is all.

POSTED: 6/07/12 4:29 PM

Update #2

I was talked into doing the Zooma 10K in Annapolis this past Saturday, which was sponsored by Skirt Sport. On Friday while picking up my packet, since I am a sucker for expos, I decided to try on a pair of the basic black Gym Girl Ultra Skirt (I am 99% sure it was this one).
$65 later, I walked out with a new running skirt.
The sales woman was SUPER EXCITED about the skirt and CONVINCED I was going to be SUPER EXCITED about the skirt as well. Sure.

We all know the rule, nothing new on race day - so I waited to try out my new purchase.

After today's run, In short, I am NOT super excited.

The best part is that the under shorts are compression style and did not move. At.All. Which was, awesome.
But, I don't like the waistband. It sits funny, right on my lower tummy, and often fell below, and I didn't know where I wanted it to stay. I would have preferred a larger waistband with a drawstring.
Also, the skirt felt kind of clingy. It is light weight - which is nice for summer. But I didn't like how it would kind of cling and you could see where the shorts ended underneath.
Oh, and a super high slit on the sides so it's very flowy - and not always in a great way.

So overall, they are okay. I will continue to run in them because they are WAY better than tugging on loose shorts, and I am hoping if I lose a bit of my lower tummy that will help, and I think they look better on me than tight shorts, and I paid $65.

Also, I do hope this is helping some of you ladies who are looking for functional products who might not fit the typical triathlon body mold.

Have a great day!
Amanda

Cuteness - :::^|::
Functional - :::^)::
Price - ::>^(::

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 251
POSTED: 6/07/12 8:54 PM

Amanda

I recommend the Target C9 running shorts.

I used to run only in capris. Regular running shorts are just bad in mulitple ways. The undershorts w/the skorts never stay in place for me. I think the undershorts would have to be long (like bike short length) for them to stay put. I haven't tried any with compression under shorts because they are expensive and oh, look horrible on me. Also, whatever it is (short, skirt, capri), I need them to sit at my waist and that just makes it all the more difficult to find something that works.

Anyway, I can actually wear the regular running shorts from Target and have had numerous conversations with other women who have also discovered these. Plus, they are about $15. I still prefer capris though.

A

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 6/08/12 9:27 AM

Trevor Albert enjoys showing off his kilt.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=600743283557&set=a.600743278567.2143393.7602640&type=3&theater

Maybe the Celtic option then...:)

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 91
POSTED: 6/08/12 10:19 AM

I've had good luck with a skirt from Lucy and one from North Face. However, each person is different, so I recommend you shop at a place with a good return policy, like REI. Then, when you find something you like, buy several!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria