Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Simultaneous Marathon and Triathlon Training
CREATED: 07/26/11 by Tynan REPLIES: 3
Tynan's ravatar Tynan    JOINED: 1/17/11    POSTS: 44
Simultaneous Marathon and Triathlon Training
POSTED: 7/26/11 8:34 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on simultaneously training for a marathon and triathlon? I'm signed up for the Savannah Marathon in early November, and am tempted to sign up for Nation's Tri on 9/11. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 142
RE: Simultaneous Marathon and Triathlon Training
POSTED: 7/26/11 8:40 PM

Hi Tom,

I am doing a similar thing. I am training for Nation's and the Augusta 70.3 on September 25 as well as Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October. I incorporate a weekly long run geared toward marathon training. I am much more focused on the triathlon training than the marathon training. The tri training shouldn't hurt your marathon training, but actually benefit it. PS I believe Nation's is sold out to the general public. Best of Luck!

Holli

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 7/26/11 9:24 PM

I'm doing the same thing although the marathon training takes presidence. I run 5 days a week. I bike on M & TH since TH is an easy run day and M is an off day from running. As for swimming, it can fit in anywhere you want I feel. I try to hit the pool 2-3 times a week.

I'd rather not mess up my marathon training so the tri training fills in the gaps around it.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 329
POSTED: 7/27/11 12:54 AM

I simultaneously trained for both triathlon and long distance running last fall. Here was my race schedule:
August - One super sprint tri Aug 8, otherwise long runs
September 4 - Duathlon Age-Group Worlds
September 12 - Nations Triathlon
September 25/26 - Age-Group & Sprint Triathlon Nationals
October 9 - Seagull Century
October 16 - Baltimore Half Marathon
October 31 - Marine Corps Marathon
November - hibernation...

As you can see, I am a bit of a raceaholic! It was an aggressive schedule that I don't recommend (Nations Tri and Baltimore were relatively weak performances). However, I did a 4-min PR at Age-Group Tri Nats (2:05), and qualified for Boston & New York at the MCM (2:49). The point is that it is do-able... 2 months between goal races is more than enough. The cross-training will help you in the marathon (where many people have the problem of over-training the run, logging too many miles that will ultimately hurt them).

My main focus was to train tri thru the end of September, then focus on the MCM. As HolliMarie pointed out, the weekly long runs are critical. I did my long runs for the marathon in August when I was not racing... I got a 16-miler and an 18-miler in then. In September, in addition to what is listed above, I ran the Wilson Bridge Half as a long run, pacing a member of Back On My Feet. After Tri Nats, I put my full focus into the MCM. I did my only 20+ mile run (22-miler) the day after the Seagull Century (and 3 weeks before the MCM). After that, I knew I was ready for the 26.2!

My advice is:
1) Don't be as aggressive with the race schedule as I was... pick and choose.
2) Set your goals on two races for the fall, and make sure to do them right (it sounds like its the Nations Tri and the marathon).
3) Have fun with it! One of the best things I've ever done was pacing a Back On My Feet resident to his first half marathon (at the Wilson Bridge Half on Sept 19).

-Luke

PS - Nations Tri was sold out. But they sent out an email today to people that did the DC Tri, saying they're still taking Nations Tri registrations from people who competed in the DC Tri. And I think a lot of charities still have Nations entries.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria