Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Intro to Masters on Friday, Nov 1!
CREATED: 10/25/13 by rojojade REPLIES: 6
rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 346
Intro to Masters on Friday, Nov 1!
POSTED: 10/25/13 2:49 PM

We are bringing back Intro to Masters on Friday, Nov 1!

Curious to find out whether you can handle swimming with the DC Tri Club's Master's Swim Program (MSP)? Or, maybe you've been to a practice -- and all the jargon's left you completely confused? Want to make sure you know what good lane etiquette is for the upcoming off season NCC? Well, here's your chance to come out (for FREE!) and get a first-hand taste of what MSP is all about!

We will begin with an out-of-water presentation of MSP. Our coaches will then lead the group through an overview of common master's swimming terms and drills. By the end of it, you'll know why there is a clock on deck, what S/K/D/P means, and what all those numbers, like 5x100 @ 2:00, signify!

After the dryland session, we'll hit the water to go over some simple drills and a swim set -- in a lane reserved just for this Intro 101 session.

Please bring your swimming suit and a lock to this session.

Meet us at the Wilson Aquatics Center (4551 Fort Drive, NW, Washington DC 20008 - Red Line - Tenlytown/AU) at 5:45 PM.

To sign up , log into the DC Tri Club website, go to https://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Programs.Masters_Registration , set up an account (if you don't have one), and then "purchase" the Intro to Master's class. After click on "Class RSVP" and register for the "Intro to Master's" session on Nov 1.

Extra perk: When you register for the "Intro to Master's" session, the swim pass will also include an additional swim session for FREE! Use it to try out a regular swim practice with us!

If you have any questions, email us at Masters@dctriclub.org.

RE: Intro to Masters on Friday, Nov 1!
POSTED: 10/28/13 3:10 PM

So I've gotten a few emails and thought that I would post some of the commonly asked questions here ...

1. When will another Intro session to be offered?
Currently the next session is scheduled to be offered in March 2014. But if there are enough interested, we can be persuaded to have another one earlier.

2. I realize that this an intro to masters session - but seriously, I'm a totally terrified of group swimming?
The reason why we have these sessions is to help de-mystify masters. And if you've had bad experiences with other masters swim programs before - come and try us out. Our practices are very welcoming of newer swimmers. While we highly recommend that swimmers already are able to swim 400 meters without stopping, we've had swimmers that couldn't swim 25 yards that have stuck with the program to become proficient swimmers.

3. I'm pretty awesome/was a former collegiate swimmer. Is this program fro me?
While we are welcoming of newbies - we also have swimmers that come to the pool for a hard workout as well. If you already know lane etiquette and know how to read a set - you are welcome to email us (at masters@dctriclub.org) and just schedule a trial session before you sign up. If you are just naturally talented but don't know how to read a set - come and join us for the dryland portion and we can dump you straight into the practice with the other masters swimmers.

4. Do you remember when I said I was awful - I don't want swim the group yet?
Well you don't have to join us in the water. But we did get an extra lane for the Intro to Masters Swimmers - so you don't have worry about interrupting someone's workout. We will be doing some easier sets and going over some drills - so it's not going to be a hard workout for those worrying about their weekend plans.

Any other questions - please feel free to post to this thread or email us!

mtighe's ravatar mtighe    JOINED: 5/30/12    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 10/31/13 3:05 PM

sounds great. what time should we expect the workout to wrap up?

POSTED: 10/31/13 3:24 PM

The clinic will be done at 8. But you are more then welcome to stay in the water until the pool closes at 9.

SeanPierce's ravatar SeanPierce    JOINED: 1/17/13    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 11/01/13 9:36 AM

Has there been any interest/discussion in adding additional MSP workout locations for Alexandria types in the future?

POSTED: 11/01/13 11:13 AM

Sean - while it's part of our long term plan, we don't have visibility on when we are going to be able to make it happen right now. But trust us when say, we still have our sights out in NoVa.

POSTED: 11/01/13 11:42 AM

Hey everyone -

Thank so much for filling this clinic so quickly! But due to pool limitations, we are fill up to capacity for this session for Intro to Masters.

The next one is scheduled for March 2014 - but email us at masters@dctriclub.org so we can gauge interest in having another clinic before March. And we can see what we can do to arrange another session of this clinic sooner then that!

-Catharine

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria